Has anyone purposefully taken a cruise and flown home from one port?

Just saying hypothetically if a non American got off a cruise in an American port, to later show up at the airport to fly home, with no visa or entry stamp, there might be a lot of issues! With customs, immigration, DEA, and maybe homeland security:o

That happens all the time. They don't get arrested. And what in the world does DEA have to do with it? :confused:

By the way, Customs and Immigration (CBP) is a component of Homeland Security.

In many ports you will see people debarking and embarking with luggage. Most often they are entertainers, 'fly-ons' who board and do a few shows, debark and get on another ship in a day or so, or even the same day. EM

No, these were definitely passengers. A lot of families with children. When we got back on our next door neighbors and a group of people that took up about 5-6 cabins down the hall from us were no where to be found for the rest of the cruise.

That happens all the time. They don't get arrested. And what in the world does DEA have to do with it? :confused:

By the way, Customs and Immigration (CBP) is a component of Homeland Security.

I'm saying if a non American shows up at the airport, and there's no documentations on how they got here, there might be some questions. I don't know the agency that deals with drug smuggling but I thought it was the DEA

Why do you immediately go to drugs? We are assuming they are leaving from a non U.S. port, so no DEA anyway. All you need at the airport is a passport, who would question you.

No idea what is true for grand turk; but this statement is not generally true. Generally when you enter a country some documentation of some type occurs and this documentation may need checked on your way out. Often it’s a visa stamp that states when you entered. In some countries, like Mexico, it’s an actual piece of paper you get upon entry that you need to present upon exit. If you try to exit the country without the documentation showing how you entered it (as would be the case for leaving a cruise), there’s every chance you could be stopped for questioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why do you immediately go to drugs? We are assuming they are leaving from a non U.S. port, so no DEA anyway. All you need at the airport is a passport, who would question you.

I was giving a hypothetical situation if the roles where reversed and this was happening on US soil, by a foreigner. You have to read the whole post. I'm not talking about this situation

My Experiences:

I did a cruise that originated and ended in San Juan, PR.. The last port was St. Thomas before the ship went back to San Juan. I had planned to go to St. John (from St. Thomas) for 2 weeks after the cruise and getting off in STT was easier than going back to SJU and having to take a flight back over to STT. I booked one-way airfare to SJU and return from STT 2 weeks later.

This was prior to 9/11...not a problem. I do remember telling someone on the ship that I'd be getting off in STT and wouldn't be coming back onboard just so they knew that I wasn't "missing in action"...LOL... I did it 3 times over several years.

After 9/11 it was a whole different story. I had to fill out tons of paperwork to get permission to get off and end the cruise in another port, my reasons for doing so and blah, blah, blah...did it one more time but after that, it wasn't worth it.

I skipped the cruise part and just flew to St. John after that.

No idea what is true for grand turk; but this statement is not generally true. Generally when you enter a country some documentation of some type occurs and this documentation may need checked on your way out. Often it’s a visa stamp that states when you entered. In some countries, like Mexico, it’s an actual piece of paper you get upon entry that you need to present upon exit. If you try to exit the country without the documentation showing how you entered it (as would be the case for leaving a cruise), there’s every chance you could be stopped for questioning.

This happened during Irma when I was on my honeymoon cruise... once RCCL announced the cruise was not returning on time half the ship exited in Cozumel... you are correct ....When exiting the ship at a port where the cruise did not originate you must get clearance form approved ... in the case on my cruise they came onto the ship to process the paperwork and collect the fee from those wishing to disembark...it was 35 dollars per person and then you can disembark and exit through customs at the port to be able to travel to the airport... they had a separate line for those leaving the port for the airport

I'm saying if a non American shows up at the airport, and there's no documentations on how they got here, there might be some questions.

Of course there will be questions. That's true anywhere. But you said that in America, they would be arrested. That part is not true at all, under these circumstances.

Just to be crystal clear, everyone who sails with carnival signs a cruise contract saying that they understand that they must complete the cruise and disembark only at the end.

I would not interpret the contract that way.

"2. NATURE OF CRUISE, TRAVEL DOCUMENTATION, AND GUEST’S OBLIGATIONS . . .(e) Guest acknowledges that, for a voyage commencing in a United States port for a round-trip voyage via one or more United States ports, Guest must complete the voyage and disembark at the embarkation port. Failure to do so may result in a fine or penalty being imposed by the United States Customs Service or other governmental agency. In consideration for the fare paid, Guest agrees to pay any such fine or penalty imposed because of Guest’s failure to complete the voyage."

Seems very clear to me that a) only applies to closed loop cruises, and b) passenger only agrees to pay any penalties/fines imposed by a government for disembarking early.