Sneaky HAL - careful changing older reservations that had REFUNDABLE deposits

Oceansaway17

The info and options should be right there, on the booking page... on the web-site

To me, that is what says it all.

One shouldn't have to call and hope that they get a rep who is, well, 'reputable'.

One shouldn't have to call their TA and ask a lot of questions, and hope upon hope that the TA is up on the latest with HAL, as well the many other cruise lines out there.

The info and options should be right there, on the booking page... on the web-site

To me, that is what says it all.

One shouldn't have to call and hope that they get a rep who is, well, 'reputable'.

One shouldn't have to call their TA and ask a lot of questions, and hope upon hope that the TA is up on the latest with HAL, as well the many other cruise lines out there.

Correct.

Actually it is there in the terms and conditions (at least it is when I look), but you do have to click it and read it ;)

Let me also so MY ORIG INVOICE SAID fully refundable. By making a phone call to verbally make a change does not mean there is anything for me to read until the invoice comes via email and after I have hung up.

So STOP TELLING ME TO READ something when my older original booking was fine.

Once again HAL is changing its ways and the agent (I don't have a TA) and if I did the TA might not have thought to ask since original booking was refundable.

Also the agent kept repeating to me when I asked him to read the breakdown " Everything will be in the invoice",

So yes HAL is sneaky and shame on you folks who keep telling me to read something since I was on the phone and the first reservation was fine and before all this new nonsense.

Thanks to those of you who GET MY POINT. Like I said before when you call NCL and as for a change they say "No problem life happens". When you call Disney they say "Of course your deposit is always refundable until final payment". There are other lines that are nicer and yet HAL used to be known as a classy cruise line.

Even Cunard treats folks better. Interesting since they are part of Carnival. Oh well.

So I had a refundable deposit on a reservation for a trip to Alaska in 2019.

All I did was ask to move it back two weeks. Apparently HAL has to made a new booking number and not just change current number (which BTW most cruise lines don't change the booking number.)

It makes sense, and it doesn't matter what other cruise lines do. You cancelled your 1st cruise, and then booked another. Many hotels do it the same way.

The new promo (restricted deposit refunds) is NOT applied on all room categories, and occupancy (single or double). Example: on one upcoming cruise all room categories, if booked as double occupancy, are under the new promo. However, ocean views and inside rooms that are booked as single occupancy are not under this promo, and the deposit is refundable. Any TA who is using HAL's online reservation system can see this.

I can't imagine that the new promo is helping HAL's bookings that much, even with its lower fares. Thankfully it ends on April 2, 2018.

Edited by Boatdrill

Ah yes the "a lot" of people. AKA the same 5 people complaining over and over.:confused:

Perhaps you are not aware of the number of us old timers who just won't cruise with HAL under this type of promotion.

Perhaps you are not aware of the number of us old timers who just won't cruise with HAL under this type of promotion.

I'd prefer to say "experienced travelers" who know a bad deal when we see one.

I don't mind that HAL is doing this, but I don't like that the other options for booking do not come up on the website. If you always book online, you might not know that you can call HAL or a TA to find out what other choices you have. I wouldn't have known that I could ask for a price "without promo" if my TA hadn't offered me the choice, or if I hadn't read about that here.

What I don't understand is how OP can "all I did was back up the cruise two weeks" and not recognize that this is a new booking. What is so difficult to understand about this? Instead, she blames everyone but herself for failing to understand that when a new booking is made, new rules may apply.

What I don't understand is how OP can "all I did was back up the cruise two weeks" and not recognize that this is a new booking. What is so difficult to understand about this? Instead, she blames everyone but herself for failing to understand that when a new booking is made, new rules may apply.

The OP was used to the experience with other lines and I fear "assumed" how HAL worked.

You can't "assume" and have to dot your i's and cross your t's.

Years ago, I used a bricks and mortar TA. I knew more than she and back then, I would say my knowledge was limited.

I got a mariner deal in the mail for my sailing and called her. She got it for me and told me it had to be rebooked. Of course, back then, I had no idea of the implications. All my shore excursions, PG dinners, etc that I had booked were gone. She didn't tell me but I DIDN'T ask.

I've gotten wiser (and older) since then and ask the questions whether I am booking or rebooking.

Some cruise lines are pro customer and some not so much. It saddens me to see my age old favorite HAL, putting obstacles in the way of easy booking.. Once upon a time loyalty matter now consumers are wiser and the field has leveled. Watch out HAL you may regret this money driven approach.

Perhaps by changing the deposit terms when people change their reservations might be HAL's way of discouraging people from changing their reservations.

Personally I book my cruise at what I consider a reasonable price for that trip and never look at pricing again. People who constantly change their reservations for the newest deal should pay a penalty for the all the changes. And it's certainly not HAL's fault passengers do not read the terms and conditions clearly explained in their cruise contracts.

When I was in school we had to sign a statement indicating that we had read and understood the student handbook. The disciplinarian nun said every year "You signed the form saying you have read and understood the rules. Should you get in trouble, claiming ignorance will not work. I strongly suggest you read the handbook." It was great advice then, and great advice now. Read the contract. Read the terms and conditions of anything you are agreeing to.

Sorry, but having only one option shown and then having to click around and read fine print on that one option, very simply, is NOT adequately or fully informing customers of the rates and terms that are available to them. Not at all.

It certainly isn't customer friendly nor is it transparent. We have one HAL cruise scheduled this spring, but that's why Princess has been getting our cruise dollars after that.

Guess this makes me Complainer #6. ;)

And YOU don't understand a change is not a nre booking for most other cruise lines. Hal is sneaky and the agent was anxios to move me along quickly

Me hopes you get a taste of this crap eventually. But don't complain then.:D

And YOU don't understand a change is not a nre booking for most other cruise lines.

There are many differences among cruise lines, and how they do things. When starting with a new-to-you line, you have to start the learning experience all over again from scratch. You can't assume anything you know to be true on other lines is true on the new one. You don't even know what questions to ask because you don't even think about the differences? Sure. Frustrating? Sure.

As far back as my experience with HAL goes (1978), what you did was cancel your cruise; then you booked a new cruise. The two things have nothing to do with each other.

If other cruise lines have a different policy, that's their business---not HAL's. It was your responsibility to learn the difference.

There are many differences among cruise lines, and how they do things. When starting with a new-to-you line, you have to start the learning experience all over again from scratch. You can't assume anything you know to be true on other lines is true on the new one. You don't even know what questions to ask because you don't even think about the differences? Sure. Frustrating? Sure.

As far back as my experience with HAL goes (1978), what you did was cancel your cruise; then you booked a new cruise. The two things have nothing to do with each other.

If other cruise lines have a different policy, that's their business---not HAL's. It was your responsibility to learn the difference.

I disagree with you and Hal policy.

And I have changed trips in past without messing with deposits.

I guess you just don't appreciate my warning folks or pointing out how other lines handle this better. And no one thinks it is odd they gave me half of deposit still refundable. Very odd.

Sorry but folks are waking up to HAL being sneaky.

NCL and Disney get my future business. Even RCI provides better visibility to their pricing. That was my point in the end. HAL is sneakier than the average bear!!!!!!!:mad:

I must admit there is a bit of deviousness here. I went back to the HAL home page and clicked on the "Learn More" regarding this promotion.... at no point did their explanation say "other fares are available".

If I were one to book on line I would have not questioned this one bit; would NEVER have assumed you could pay a higher fee and in return get a refundable deposit.... and for a cruise more than 6 months out I would not have booked since for those of us who use cruise ship insurance it would be a loss either way if you needed to cancel.

I have been cruising on HAL since the 80's and cannot remember this type of promotion...must say I was away for a few years while HAL figured out which side of the smoking issue was more beneficial financially.

NCL and Disney get my future business. Even RCI provides better visibility to their pricing. That was my point in the end. HAL is sneakier than the average bear!!!!!!!:mad:

Everybody has a right to make their point, and you have certainly made yours. Other people do not agree but that is the nature of the beast and it is clear your mind is made up.

p.s. Say "hi" to Mickey and Minnie for me ;p

For most of the cruise lines, when you make changes in dates, change cabins, etc. your booking is changed to whatever terms are being offered on the day the changes are made. I suspect that when the OP made his change that the person from HAL offered him the best terms that were available on day that the change was made. It happened that those terms were with a non-refundable booking. If the OP had asked about that then he could probably have gotten the terms with refundable, but at a higher cost.

The only blame that I would put on HAL would be for the agent not to say that the terms were for a non-refundable offering, however, I also suspect that the OP did not ask.

I must admit there is a bit of deviousness here. I went back to the HAL home page and clicked on the "Learn More" regarding this promotion.... at no point did their explanation say "other fares are available".

If I were one to book on line I would have not questioned this one bit; would NEVER have assumed you could pay a higher fee and in return get a refundable deposit.... and for a cruise more than 6 months out I would not have booked since for those of us who use cruise ship insurance it would be a loss either way if you needed to cancel.

I have been cruising on HAL since the 80's and cannot remember this type of promotion...must say I was away for a few years while HAL figured out which side of the smoking issue was more beneficial financially.

(bold is mine) This is my main complaint about the new promotion. If HAL wants to go with nonrefundable deposits, that's their choice. But they have chosen to have more than one fare structure, yet the website does not give even a hint that other fares with refundable deposits exist. Right now, booking with HAL is like playing "Let's Make a Deal." Which fare is behind door number 1?????????

For most of the cruise lines, when you make changes in dates, change cabins, etc. your booking is changed to whatever terms are being offered on the day the changes are made. I suspect that when the OP made his change that the person from HAL offered him the best terms that were available on day that the change was made. It happened that those terms were with a non-refundable booking. If the OP had asked about that then he could probably have gotten the terms with refundable, but at a higher cost.

The only blame that I would put on HAL would be for the agent not to say that the terms were for a non-refundable offering, however, I also suspect that the OP did not ask.

Why would the OP ask? The original booking had a refundable deposit. I don't ever recall seeing nonrefundable fares or deposits outside the final payment window. Of all the questions I might have asked when making a change (even knowing it's cancellation/rebooking not "just a date change"), asking if the deposit is refundable would not be high on the list. But it will be now, thanks to all the threads about the nonrefundable deposits and fares.

(bold is mine) This is my main complaint about the new promotion. If HAL wants to go with nonrefundable deposits, that's their choice. But they have chosen to have more than one fare structure, yet the website does not give even a hint that other fares with refundable deposits exist. Right now, booking with HAL is like playing "Let's Make a Deal." Which fare is behind door number 1?????????

Why would the OP ask? The original booking had a refundable deposit. I don't ever recall seeing nonrefundable fares or deposits outside the final payment window. Of all the questions I might have asked when making a change (even knowing it's cancellation/rebooking not "just a date change"), asking if the deposit is refundable would not be high on the list. But it will be now, thanks to all the threads about the nonrefundable deposits and fares.

As I stated earlier when the OP decided to rebook it makes no difference what his original terms were (including refundable deposit or not), they change to whatever the terms are on the day he changes his booking. As such it is always a good idea to fully understand the terms of the new booking (deposit, OBC, price, etc)

For the last several years HAL has had some offers that have included non-refundable fares. As such whenever making a booking on HAL, or Princess, or Celebrity or Royal Caribbean it is a good idea to understand if the "best" offer available at the current time is refundable or not refundable.

Some of the cruise lines Royal for example offers all new bookings with refundable and nonrefundable terms. Other main stream cruise lines are moving in that direction so in a few years that will probably be the norm.

As I stated earlier when the OP decided to rebook it makes no difference what his original terms were (including refundable deposit or not), they change to whatever the terms are on the day he changes his booking. As such it is always a good idea to fully understand the terms of the new booking (deposit, OBC, price, etc)

For the last several years HAL has had some offers that have included non-refundable fares. As such whenever making a booking on HAL, or Princess, or Celebrity or Royal Caribbean it is a good idea to understand if the "best" offer available at the current time is refundable or not refundable.

Some of the cruise lines Royal for example offers all new bookings with refundable and nonrefundable terms. Other main stream cruise lines are moving in that direction so in a few years that will probably be the norm.

HAL has offered non refundable and refundable for years but, until recently, the non refundable were not on the website. The "snap" fare was the first time it appeared, I believe.

It does make a difference what the OP had (refundable) as that was the NORM for HAL bookings. OP had no reason to think it would be non refundable since that is not typical of a HAL booking.

The OP SHOULD have been told that the terms of the new booking. Had they been advised, it would be a non issue as they would have made an educated decision and not been caught by surprise.