Married at 19 / 20 complications

esm54687

I have an idea--how about NOT drinking, saving their money, enjoying the lemonade for free, and not having to even concern themselves with an underage drinking waiver?

Good advice, but it isn't really an answer to their question. I suspect they will do as you suggest because that lines up with NCL rules. Still the line could make a waiver, it is their choice.

I see you signed up to cruisecritic in 2013 but this is your first post. There must be an interesting backstory. Please share.

Good advice, but it isn't really an answer to their question. I suspect they will do as you suggest because that lines up with NCL rules. Still the line could make a waiver, it is their choice.

I see you signed up to cruisecritic in 2013 but this is your first post. There must be an interesting backstory. Please share.

I'm busy, and can't spend my life on message boards. We recently posted a review on CC, and I saw this post, so replied to it.

Info for what it’s worth.....

A few years ago my 20 year old daughter cruised during spring break with a cabin mate who was already 21. I phoned NCL and they emailed or faxed the consent form to allow my daughter to purchase beer and wine during the cruise. I signed and returned. I was not present at embarkation, it was all done via email or fax.

Certainly things may have changed since then but certainly worth exploring this route if both bride and groom have parents who would sign.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Being from the UK it sounds very strange that 19 and 20 year olds can fight / die for their country , get married but can`t legally drink until their 21 ? :confused:

Has to do with studies showing that the lower drinking age substantially increased the number of DWI related deaths and serious physical injuries. There's a lot more car traffic/usage in the US then there is in Europe, per capita. DWI's and DWI related fatalities and serious physical injuries are also much worse in general in the US then in Europe, for reasons that are not entirely clear.

I have an idea--how about NOT drinking, saving their money, enjoying the lemonade for free, and not having to even concern themselves with an underage drinking waiver?

I have a better idea..... save your judgment and get off your entitled a$$ and join my nephew and his future wife by enlisting in the Armed Services.... risking their lives on a daily basis so you can sit on your high throne making idiotic comments....... these "underage" professional soldiers have more adult responsibility and sense than it appears you do. Idiot.

Info for what it’s worth.....

A few years ago my 20 year old daughter cruised during spring break with a cabin mate who was already 21. I phoned NCL and they emailed or faxed the consent form to allow my daughter to purchase beer and wine during the cruise. I signed and returned. I was not present at embarkation, it was all done via email or fax.

Certainly things may have changed since then but certainly worth exploring this route if both bride and groom have parents who would sign.

Fantastic idea..... unfortunately when I called to ask about that, one PCC said yes and the other PCC said that it had to be signed in person on the ship. We did receive the form and sent it back and had a representative confirm that it had to be done on the ship. Ugh. Thank you for the thought.

I will call Miami tomorrow..... My nephew and his fiance are the type that will only have 2 or 3 beers at a day long family cookout but it would be nice if they could have a couple on the ship relaxing. It's just crazy that a freshman in college who is travelling with parents can have a beer but a couple people who are married, stationed in South Korea protecting this country, have ridiculous responsibilities in their job... can't have a beer.

Fantastic idea..... unfortunately when I called to ask about that, one PCC said yes and the other PCC said that it had to be signed in person on the ship. We did receive the form and sent it back and had a representative confirm that it had to be done on the ship. Ugh. Thank you for the thought.

I will call Miami tomorrow..... My nephew and his fiance are the type that will only have 2 or 3 beers at a day long family cookout but it would be nice if they could have a couple on the ship relaxing. It's just crazy that a freshman in college who is travelling with parents can have a beer but a couple people who are married, stationed in South Korea protecting this country, have ridiculous responsibilities in their job... can't have a beer.

That’s just how it works in the US. I don’t think that they would be able to walk into a store and purchase beer and say ‘it’s ok, I’m married’ when asked for ID (seeing as how neither is over 21, unlike the previous example where 1 person was). No reason it would be different on a ship that basis it’s rules on US law. As others have said, they will be able to drink in most ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That’s just how it works in the US. I don’t think that they would be able to walk into a store and purchase beer and say ‘it’s ok, I’m married’ when asked for ID (seeing as how neither is over 21, unlike the previous example where 1 person was). No reason it would be different on a ship that basis it’s rules on US law. As others have said, they will be able to drink in most ports.

The fact that the cabin mate was over 21 allowed booking of the cabin and had nothing to do with consumption of alcohol.

Perhaps the waiver I signed required a notarized signature and that it be mailed back. I will do a search of my records.

Your logic is sound if they were on US soil..... the fact that NCL allows 18, 19 and 20 year olds to consume beer & wine nullifies any "it's the law in the US" discussion..... all that is required is a waiver to be signed by the guardian so this further demonstrates that NCL ships, not flagged in the US like the PoA, are not bound by US laws once they reach international waters ....

My nephew can't walk into Fenway Park with a signed Young Adult Waiver form and purchase a beer...... because the US law is 21.... but he could on NCL when she is 3 miles off the coast.

Yes, they can have an adult beverage in Bermuda (it's 18) but that's not the question I originally asked.

The fact that the cabin mate was over 21 allowed booking of the cabin and had nothing to do with consumption of alcohol.

Perhaps the waiver I signed required a notarized signature and that it be mailed back. I will do a search of my records.

That would be very nice of you..... thank you

I'm just trying to help my nephew and future niece-in-law... I appreciate all the feedback.

Your logic is sound if they were on US soil..... the fact that NCL allows 18, 19 and 20 year olds to consume beer & wine nullifies any "it's the law in the US" discussion..... all that is required is a waiver to be signed by the guardian so this further demonstrates that NCL ships, not flagged in the US like the PoA, are not bound by US laws once they reach international waters ....

My nephew can't walk into Fenway Park with a signed Young Adult Waiver form and purchase a beer...... because the US law is 21.... but he could on NCL when she is 3 miles off the coast.

Yes, they can have an adult beverage in Bermuda (it's 18) but that's not the question I originally asked.

They allow 18, 19, and 20 year olds to drink alcohol IF there’s a parent there. They won’t have a parent there. Their rules mimic US law. In many states someone 18 to 21 can drink in restaurants legally IF they have a parent there to ok it. Now the restaurant can always choose not to allow it. Just like NCL can always choose to say that since there’s no parent here it doesn’t fit within their policies. They don’t have any ‘right’ to suddenly be allowed to drink underage because they are getting married. I get it when Europeans get upset over that because it’s a law that doesn’t exist in their country, but I don’t get why someone US based would take offense to it.

The example I was referring to was the person who said they were at a restaurant and at 18 with their 23 year old husband. And permitted to order alcohol in that instance. If a 18 year old and 19 year old walk into a restaurant and try to order beers; they aren’t going to get anywhere by saying ‘it’s ok, I’m married’. There’s no person overage to permit the drinking.

Update: I spoke to Miami and was put in touch with a Customer Support Representative Manager..... she was fantastic. She updated the reservation, emailed the ship's HD and cc'd my nephew with approval to accept the married couple for the Cork and Cap without the customary legal guardian waiver..... because they will be legally married and staying in a stateroom on their own, NCL treats that differently. It doesn't happen that often so this was probably the confusion by the PCCs I asked.

Again, thank you for everyone's feedback. It helped me prepare for the conversation with NCL

I would think that since they are both in the Air Force the U.S. Goverment would be their guardian

Whether they’re in the military is irrelevant. Whether they’re married is irrelevant. In the U.S. you have to be 21 or over to drink alcohol. Parents can sign a release to allow them to drink alcohol on board, however.

Update: I spoke to Miami and was put in touch with a Customer Support Representative Manager..... she was fantastic. She updated the reservation, emailed the ship's HD and cc'd my nephew with approval to accept the married couple for the Cork and Cap without the customary legal guardian waiver..... because they will be legally married and staying in a stateroom on their own, NCL treats that differently. It doesn't happen that often so this was probably the confusion by the PCCs I asked.

Again, thank you for everyone's feedback. It helped me prepare for the conversation with NCL

Thank you for coming back and updating us! This was a very interesting question that I had not seen before on Cruise Critic. I had a feeling that NCL would rule in their favor. Congratulations to the happy couple! Hope they enjoy themselves!

Whether they’re in the military is irrelevant. Whether they’re married is irrelevant. In the U.S. you have to be 21 or over to drink alcohol. Parents can sign a release to allow them to drink alcohol on board, however.

actually, with NCL the fact they are married was the key piece to being allowed to book a room under 21 and get the Cork and Cap without parental signature...... but thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the update.

I'm glad it worked out.

Best wishes to the young couple for a long happy life together.

Thank you for coming back and updating us! This was a very interesting question that I had not seen before on Cruise Critic. I had a feeling that NCL would rule in their favor. Congratulations to the happy couple! Hope they enjoy themselves!

Thank you, I will pass along your congratulations!!

Awesome news and thanks for their service to keep America safe!