Married at 19 / 20 complications

esm54687

Nephew and fiance, 19 & 20 yos and in the US Air Force, are getting married and then honeymoon on NCL..

They will have their marriage license available to show NCL they are married so it's not an issue with them being in the room without someone over 21....

However the question I have on their behalf: because they are over 18 but under 21, they would be eligible for the Beer & Wine package but since they are now legally married and do not have a legal guardian (parent) travelling with them.... will NCL honor this and allow them to purchase the package without a Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form?

Thanks

They are still underage even if married

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

They are "underage" when the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form is signed by their Legal Guardian..... my question is basically, do they become their own Legal Guardian when a legal marriage is recognized thus can get the Beer and Wine package without a parent...... NCL recognizes the marriage and allows "underage" people in the cabin.

They are "underage" when the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form is signed by their Legal Guardian..... my question is basically, do they become their own Legal Guardian when a legal marriage is recognized thus can get the Beer and Wine package without a parent...... NCL recognizes the marriage and allows "underage" people in the cabin.

That's an interesting question. I haven't seen that addressed anywhere on the NCL site before. Sound like you might have to make a phone call on that subject. Please let us know the answer if you find out.

That is irrelevant when it comes to the age for alcohol consumption.

Yet a 19 year old requires their Legal Guardian to sign the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form...... thus lies my confusion

If NCL didn't have the 18-20 year old option for beer & wine it would be a very simple "no"

guess they will have to ask on board...... I don't trust PCC or TA.

Thank you everyone

Being from the UK it sounds very strange that 19 and 20 year olds can fight / die for their country , get married but can`t legally drink until their 21 ? :confused:

One of the many silly rules in the US!!!:rolleyes:

Being from the UK it sounds very strange that 19 and 20 year olds can fight / die for their country , get married but can`t legally drink until their 21 ? :confused:

We still have no idea what age to set as "adult".

Just a few weeks ago Congress was considering the problem of teenagers eating Tide pods, 2 weeks later they were saying those same teenagers should be deciding laws.

At 18 you no longer have a guardian.

Incorrect.

For the purposes of Young Adult alcohol consumption, you need a legal guardian (mommy or daddy) to go to Guest Services and sign a waiver to allow you to order Beer or Wine (only) on the ship.

Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel.

Welcome to the land of the free ... free to fight and die for your country at 18, 19, 20, but not imbibe.

Look at it this way. Who ever signs for the under 21 may be responsible for what the young adult does. It is a way for NCL to some what police who can drink at an earlier age.

Even if the form does say they are responsible for the young adult it allows an older adult to decide if the young adult is ready or not and it is a parent who knows the young adult making that choice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

If they are not of legal drinking age NCL or any other line will more than likely not allow them to purchase alcohol without consent of a parent who is present on the cruise. It's a liability issue plain and simple, and there is way too much money involved in alcohol sales for them to risk losing their license to serve.

If they are not of legal drinking age NCL or any other line will more than likely not allow them to purchase alcohol without consent of a parent who is present on the cruise. It's a liability issue plain and simple, and there is way too much money involved in alcohol sales for them to risk losing their license to serve.

This is what I suspect.

And they aren’t able to drink on land, correct? Why anticipate they should be allowed to drink at sea?