Married at 19 / 20 complications

esm54687

In many countries outside of the US, 18 or 19 year olds can legally drink. Thus, if these two young adults have a port stop in Mexico or certain Caribbean islands, they can drink while in port — just not on the ship.

Once on board and out to sea, does the laws (drinking for example) of the where the ship calls home, take effect, and also the same for where the ship is at port ?

No, NCL sets drinking age basically by where the cruise originated. All cruises originating from the US have a 21 drinking age, for the entire cruise. Cruises from Europe are 18, I believe.

As for other laws, the laws of the flag state (where the ship is registered) are the ones that apply. However, when in another country's waters, or in another country's port, there is an overlap of jurisdiction. International law says that the local "port state" (country whose waters or port the ship is in) only apply on the ship if the welfare or safety of the port is threatened. Things that the ship does that affects things outside the ship, like environmental issues then can fall under the port state. Some countries claim "extra-jurisdictional" authority, such as the US claiming jurisdiction for crimes against US citizens when in international waters. So, the whole area of maritime law is complex, and why there is an entire sub-set of lawyers, admiralty lawyers, who deal in this.

Just because NCL makes an exception on their minimum age booking policy doesn't mean they will make an exception on drinking age. They require a parent to sign for those under 21 not just as a formality, it is to hopefully have a parental figure looking out for them and taking responsibility for their actions to some extent.

I understand this, even if others are not getting it! They no longer have a legal guardian—they are married and each other’s guardian! They are no longer under the guidance of a parent!

This reminds me of when my hubby and I bought our first home. Our lawyer, sitting next to me, realized I was only 18! She was afraid to say anything because I was not old enough to buy a house! My hubby was 23 at the time. Well, the sale went through, and the rest is history. And one night out to dinner, I tried ordering a glass of wine, when asked for ID, my hubby spoke up ,”She’s my wife!” I was served. (Drinking age had just gone up from 18 at that time)We celebrated our 48th anniversary yesterday!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think NCL is going to require the waiver from a parent, married or not.

In the US, If you are in the military you are absolutely allowed alcohol on base. The argument is irrelevant.

Eighteen year olds are in high school. Keeping alcohol away from the high school population is actually the intent. That's why 25 years ago, the drinking ages were raised from 19 to 21. There actually is a reason the drinking age was raised back then.

Keeping alcohol away from high schoolers who are also newly licensed drivers is the issue.

If you choose to join the military, though, drink away. It's legal. That argument is irrelevant.

.............Eighteen year olds are in high school. Keeping alcohol away from the high school population is actually the intent. That's why 25 years ago, the drinking ages were raised from 19 to 21. There actually is a reason the drinking age was raised back then.

Keeping alcohol away from high schoolers who are also newly licensed drivers is the issue.

Not quite. While the drinking age was raised to reduce drunken driving fatalities the age change was due to a Congressional action. In 1984, Congress passed the National Minimum Drinking Age Act, which required states to raise their ages for purchase and public possession to 21 by October 1986 or lose 10% of their federal highway funds.

I think NCL is going to require the waiver from a parent, married or not.

In the US, If you are in the military you are absolutely allowed alcohol on base. The argument is irrelevant.

Eighteen year olds are in high school. Keeping alcohol away from the high school population is actually the intent. That's why 25 years ago, the drinking ages were raised from 19 to 21. There actually is a reason the drinking age was raised back then.

If you choose to join the military, though, drink away. It's legal. That argument is irrelevant.

I'm not following the logic; if some 18 yearolds are still in high school why does this imply a need to raise the drinking age from 19 to 21?

I understand this, even if others are not getting it! They no longer have a legal guardian—they are married and each other’s guardian! They are no longer under the guidance of a parent!

This reminds me of when my hubby and I bought our first home. Our lawyer, sitting next to me, realized I was only 18! She was afraid to say anything because I was not old enough to buy a house! My hubby was 23 at the time. Well, the sale went through, and the rest is history. And one night out to dinner, I tried ordering a glass of wine, when asked for ID, my hubby spoke up ,”She’s my wife!” I was served. (Drinking age had just gone up from 18 at that time)We celebrated our 48th anniversary yesterday!

Congrats !

I don't believe being married 'legally' makes you each other's guardian. You take care of each other because you are married to and love each other. Being married, a husband can NOT pull the plug, for example, unless there are legal papers (power of attorney/living will/DNR, etc.) to do so. The legal definition of 'parent or guardian' isn't 'being married'.

Guardianship only applies to juveniles under the age of 18. Both are still minor's when it comes to the legal age to purchase alcohol, being married has nothing to do with that. No, one can not sign for the other as they are not legal guardians for each other. The ship will follow the law of the state or country where the cruise originated from. I'm not too sure what is so hard to understand about that.

How long after they are married is their honeymoon?

It took about a month for us to receive our marriage license after getting married last summer.

You have license and certificate confused...... license is required prior to ceremony, signed by official presiding at ceremony, submitted to appropriate government agency and then certificate is sent out....... they will have the notarized copy of the license for the cruise and each will have a valid passport and military identification ..... she will not be changing her name immediately so that isn't a concern...... their reservation is also marked as honeymoon to aid in the ability to book the room.

Guardianship only applies to juveniles under the age of 18. Both are still minor's when it comes to the legal age to purchase alcohol, being married has nothing to do with that. No, one can not sign for the other as they are not legal guardians for each other. The ship will follow the law of the state or country where the cruise originated from. I'm not too sure what is so hard to understand about that.

The cruise line has a policy allowing 18, 19 and 20 year-olds to drink beer and wine with a signed permission slip from their parents on board the same sailing with them. The drinking policy on a cruise ship is just that, a policy of the line not deference to local laws in the port of departure.