Spoke to P&O regarding their 40% increase in automatic gratuities.

Barnum42

People who Auto Tip are living in a fantasy world not knowing whether the crew receives the money or not. They just want to claim the moral high ground. There is ample evidence that P&O is witholding tips but some are just bothered about the moral high ground.

P.S. paying Auto gratuities is good when intended recipient gets the tip but not knowing where the money goes is stupidity

Well you do surprise me as you have been against tipping for years as your many negative posts have shown.

My dislike is not tipping staff who are paid a fair wage (like every other member of crew other than stewards and waiters), but the Victorian system you support of paying staff a token amount with the stewards and waiters crossing their fingers that customers will make up their pay to a living wage.

If you are happy that staff are employed on such exploitative contracts then great, but personally I don't think they should exist in modern society.

Although you continue to quote facts which are not facts at all but made up by you. Something does not become a fact just because you say it often enough.

And you saying something isn't true doesn't make it so, no matter how desperately you want to believe it.

My dislike is not tipping staff who are paid a fair wage (like every other member of crew other than stewards and waiters), but the Victorian system you support of paying staff a token amount with the stewards and waiters crossing their fingers that customers will make up their pay to a living wage.

If you are happy that staff are employed on such exploitative contracts then great, but personally I don't think they should exist in modern society.

And you saying something isn't true doesn't make it so, no matter how desperately you want to believe it.

I can't believe some of the posters here without taking names because it makes me feel like they are in full time employment with P&O ....Just a feeling so don't take any offence.

What would be considered a good wage for someone working 300 hrs on an UK ship?

People who Auto Tip are living in a fantasy world not knowing whether the crew receives the money or not. They just want to claim the moral high ground. There is ample evidence that P&O is witholding tips but some are just bothered about the moral high ground.

P.S. paying Auto gratuities is good when intended recipient gets the tip but not knowing where the money goes is stupidity

So anyone who puts money into your hand is OK in your book (that's if you are cruise crew)

Anyone who is on freedom dining and wants to tip everyone entitled to a share by paying into the Auto gratuities are now living in a fantasy world.

Better that we give a nice wad of cash to you ,which you would share with ALL cruise staff that deserve a share. Yes?

Some would claim that if we pay nothing to the service charge they are mean and yet when they pay ,full or part we think

we are a better person for it and some how claim the moral high ground .

If that's what you think ,that's up to you but to tell them it's stupidity just because they cannot account for exactly how P&O

share the money out. It's not our job to sort this out.

Another option would be a total ban on tips and service charges where you all get nothing !

I'm sure that option would be classed as stupidity by the cruise staff.

P&O state the charge is a way for us to say Thank You and that's why it is paid not for any reason you have posted.

You are now sounding desperate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No there is not ample evidence at all. It is not evidence just because you say so.

By the way resorting to calling people names is a sure sign of you loosing the argument.

This is still muddying the waters. The company have said all the money goes to the staff.

So can we all assume that you take the moral high ground and refuse to cruise while the staff work on their supposed exploitative contracts.

Not as desperate as P&O's cheerleader, who surprisingly has no facts only opinions.

Yes carry on attacking me with your pathetic put downs.

You have no facts at all and never have had in all your postings on this subject.

So can we all assume that you take the moral high ground and refuse to cruise while the staff work on their supposed exploitative contracts.

"supposed exploitative contracts" - sounds like you are quite happy for the staff to be paid a pittance and having to put their hand out and hope.

I've always believed that loyalty should be rewarded. I also think staff should be rewarded for good service.

I've tried to tip my steward with 96 pin badges and 48 pairs of slippers, but they've never accepted. Perhaps I should try biscuits or mints next time???

Just because they say it - it doesn't make it true, there is no proof.

Which makes all of this discussion totally meaningless. As neither side in you mind have any proof at all. So what is the point of the discussion apart from those who do not want to tip justifying it to themselves. As someone above has just proved.

Which makes all of this discussion totally meaningless. As neither side in you mind have any proof at all. So what is the point of the discussion apart from those who do not want to tip justifying it to themselves. As someone above has just proved.

Dai, do give it a rest with your assumption, of which you have no proof, that those of us against the current way P&O operate their auto tip/service reward scheme are non tippers.

I may well soon become one, but only because I can see that those of us who always pay the auto tip are losing out to those that don't, because I doubt the recent increases are going to the staff, more likely they are to compensate P&O for the increase in passengers removing the auto tip.

We have made it plain that we are happy to see gratuities rolled up into the cruise fare, but for the above reasons we don't feel the current system is fair, and we think that removing the auto tip might, just might, make P&O agree with us.

"supposed exploitative contracts" - sounds like you are quite happy for the staff to be paid a pittance and having to put their hand out and hope.

Am I happy that the staff are paid a pittance? I presume the reason most of them work on cruise ships is that the pay is better than the pay they would get in their home country or they wouldn't do it. I also fulfil my obligation by paying the gratuities.

Now if you are so worried about the staff do you still cruise? Or is it as I'm becoming to believe you are simply another person looking for an excuse not to pay gratuities or indeed any kind of service reward.

Dai, do give it a rest with your assumption, of which you have no proof, that those of us against the current way P&O operate their auto tip/service reward scheme are non tippers.

I may well soon become one, but only because I can see that those of us who always pay the auto tip are losing out to those that don't, because I doubt the recent increases are going to the staff, more likely they are to compensate P&O for the increase in passengers removing the auto tip.

We have made it plain that we are happy to see gratuities rolled up into the cruise fare, but for the above reasons we don't feel the current system is fair, and we think that removing the auto tip might, just might, make P&O agree with us.

Well John why don't you 'give it a rest' another pathetic statement from the non tipping brigade.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I do hope P&O come to realise they must include the gratuities in the price of the cruise. I can see by this thread, and I think the posters are representative of most cruisers, that more people than I previously thought remove the gratuities and pay either nothing or smaller amounts than the recommended amount.

Ok, boys and girls, time to put your toys away. You have a nice long play and you are all getting tired. It’s school in the morning. Say night-night to everyone and by the morning you will have forgotten what all the fuss was about. Bless.

You know, I think there is another way to look at this very prolonged debate. That is, folks who are fortunate enough to travel suite style are not really going to bother about the extra £196 for auto gratuities on a 2 week cruise, especially when one considers that suite passengers have the advantage of additional on board spend. I would guess it's a different matter for someone who can just about stretch to an inside or porthole cabin. I would imagine that for them that £196 is a substantial percentage of their cruise cost.

I fully understand that we all get the same level of service .. or should do, but as a suite passenger myself, it seems to me that the folk who go for an inside or porthole are most lightly to cut back on these auto tips.

I personally have no problem with these auto tips and, like Dai and, indeed many other passengers (can't get used to guest) I add extra. I do however think that the tips should be included into the overall cruise fare but would caution that if tips are added as a percentage of basic cabin cost, then it would mean that folks buying a balcony or suite would be paying substantially more than an insider for basically the same service, apart from the butler.

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth

Bal

Well you do surprise me as you have been against tipping for years as your many negative posts have shown.

Although you continue to quote facts which are not facts at all but made up by you. Something does not become a fact just because you say it often enough.

BTW if you do not like the auto tips just stop them and give the staff an envelope as you used to.

I will continue to leave my auto tips on.

I would prefer it if P&O added a fixed service charge onto the cruise price but until then i will continue to pay the autotip and give extra cash tips too.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app