FLL Or Miami?

landsear

We're cruising out of Miami in November. Flights appear to be better for FLL. Hotels seem cheaper too? How much would an Uber run from Ft. Lauderdale to the Miami cruise port? Are we going to regret not flying to Miami? We're coming in the night before so we will have time to kill.

Uber or Lyft from FLL to downtown Miami or POM will run about $35+

www.sunny.org has lots of info about FLL area hotels if you choose to say in the FLL area and head to POM the morning of your cruise. Drive from FLL to POM takes about 40-60 min depending upon traffic. There are several shared shuttles that can also get you from FLL to POM and back for about $15 per person - check SAS, QLS, Go Airport and others.

Have a great cruise! :D

There is not much a difference. If coming in at night and you won't have enough time to grab some dinner and walk around etc.. Then staying in Lauderdale is more than fine. An Uberx/Lyft from Lauderdale area to Downtown Miami/Port Miami will be around $35.00

If you want to be close to the Port, just take an Uber from FLL to a hotel in Downtown Miami or Brickell areas.

The difference between transport price of flying into FLL or MIA is nominal. MIA is closer but its a difference of a $40 uber or $15 Uber. Traffic can be bad from FLL to Miami, usually in the morning from 7:30a.m. to 10:00 a.m.

We have always flown into FLL for a cruise out of Miami. This last time we stayed in Hollywood, FL. Stayed at a small hotel right on the beach. Nice area too. We used John's Car Service for all of our transportation needs and had excellent service.

Unless you are saving more than $200 for two people, fly in and out of Miami.

Transportation from FLL to Miami will cost you from $50-$100 each way and unless you are saving much more than that, it isn't worth my time to sit in horrific traffic on I95.

Transportation from FLL to Miami will cost you from $50-$100 each way .

How did the $35+ UberX fare get to be $50-100? :confused: The UberX fare from MIA to downtown hotels is just under $20, so the difference is about $15+ and the additional time spent riding from FLL to Miami.

Either way, it is the OPs call. ;)

Is your cruise on a weekend? If so, traffic is non-existent barring an accident. Is it just 2 of you? If so, UberX will run $40 - $50 typically. If you like the flight into FLL, the difference between FLL and MIA is relatively trivial.

We have the same issue.... we fly free (using points DH earns with work travel) on Southwest so we must arrive and depart FLL.

We will be on the Glory out of Miami in May. So stoked!

I had thought about using Uber both ways, but now I am not sure. Price seems about the same as the Carnival shuttle from the airports, so staying at FLL area hotel is a decent deal. That is what we did 3 years ago, and it worked flawlessly. Hotel pickup us up at FLL, dropped us back off there in am to catch the shuttle.

I used to live in Fla..10 years up in Daytona and Gainesville (UofF graduate) so I have had my fill of Florida, don't need to "see the sights". The cruise is my vacation joy time.

We have the same issue.... we fly free (using points DH earns with work travel) on Southwest so we must arrive and depart FLL.

We will be on the Glory out of Miami in May. So stoked!

I had thought about using Uber both ways, but now I am not sure. Price seems about the same as the Carnival shuttle from the airports, so staying at FLL area hotel is a decent deal. That is what we did 3 years ago, and it worked flawlessly. Hotel pickup us up at FLL, dropped us back off there in am to catch the shuttle.

I used to live in Fla..10 years up in Daytona and Gainesville (UofF graduate) so I have had my fill of Florida, don't need to "see the sights". The cruise is my vacation joy time.

You realize the Uber price is for the vehicle and the Carnival transfers are per person?

You realize the Uber price is for the vehicle and the Carnival transfers are per person?

Yes, we know. But once you factor in the price difference with hotels in FLL area vs the MIA area, then the MIA hotel shuttle to port the day of cruise, it works out about the same. Now, the Uber cost directly from ship back to FLL after cruise is cheaper than the Carnival shuttle, but we haven't decided about that day yet as we have FTTF and flight isn't until 2:30pm.

What does Carnival charge from FLL to POM? :confused: UberX or standard Lyft should be about $35 each way.

Carnival charges $32pp from FLL to POM, but as I said, with the price difference in hotel at FLL vs MIA, and the additional cost of shuttle from that hotel in the morning to POM, it would be an even break for us. We have to fly in the day before and stay at a hotel regardless.

Understand that flights and hotels near FLL are cheaper for your dates, but I still do not understand the logic of paying $32 per person for the Carnival bus compared to $35+ for the car to use Uber or Lyft to get from your hotel to POM? :confused: Plus Uber/Lyft will pick you up at your hotel -- saving you the hassle of riding the hotel shuttle back to FLL just to catch the cruise transfer bus. ;)

We often fly into FLL when we cruise out of POM. Our local airport has direct flights to FLL and the cost is often cheaper. We always stay in MIA either downtown at the Intercontinental or last time we tried the Brickell area. We like our pre-cruise day to feel like an extra day of vacation rather than a travel day. So we travel early in the morning and choose a nice hotel with a great pool and walkable to dining/entertainment. We've either taken a taxi or arranged a private car (esp. when traveling with our toddler and needing a car seat). I don't enjoy shared shuttles (cause I always end up being the LAST stop!) and just prefer the convenience of having a car waiting or hopping in a taxi!

Carnival charges $32pp from FLL to POM, but as I said, with the price difference in hotel at FLL vs MIA, and the additional cost of shuttle from that hotel in the morning to POM, it would be an even break for us. We have to fly in the day before and stay at a hotel regardless.

But why would you take the Carnival shuttle? Just take an Uber from the hotel in FLL. Its cheaper and so much easier.

But why would you take the Carnival shuttle? Just take an Uber from the hotel in FLL. Its cheaper and so much easier.

Perhaps they would prefer to be on a large bus and wait for that bus to fill up before leaving ;):eek:

How did the $35+ UberX fare get to be $50-100? :confused: The UberX fare from MIA to downtown hotels is just under $20, so the difference is about $15+ and the additional time spent riding from FLL to Miami.

Either way, it is the OPs call. ;)

Uber X with tip is closer to $50 because the prices have risen a little and that is with a small tip. The 50-100 is referring to the other modes of transportation up to a cab which is $100.