Will this work? Land in San Juan at 4:50pm for a 8:30pm ship departure?

You must really trust the airlines! I have flown enough to know never to cut it that close with flying anywhere unless absolutely necessary. Any slight delay for weather, mechanical, or whatever the airline feels like could cost you to miss your cruise.

If you need to book that closely to embarkation, book through Royal so they guarantee to get you to the next port.

Several times I cruised the same day.. all flights arriving around 11 ish..

One time the flight was canceled.. (crap till the next day.. ...)

end up taking a taxi from MCO to palm bay.. (stupid counter guy told me it was only 1.5 hrs away.. nope 3 hrs away with 15 minute to catch the flight)

Long story short.. made the flight and the ship with heart palpation all the way.

Wrote long letter to the airline.. with info proving it was not weather (weather.com thank you) and it was engine trouble..

they did reimburse me for the taxi $500.00... (thank goodness I had the cash put away ...my ocd.. son calls in cdo)

and they reimburse 5 of us credit for the flight too.

Now we are going to try it again in Dec for same day with flight arriving at 11 for a 8pm sail away.

Palm Bay is only 1.5 hours from MCO, unfortunately, there is no airport in Palm Bay, there is in Palm Beach, which is 2.5 - 3 hours from MCO.

Haven't flown into SJ since last year 's hurricane. Not sure if the hurricane has affected airport/local infrastructure...

Ive been to SJU several times since the hurricane (last time just last weekend).

Things at the SJU airport are pretty much back to normal, and just by driving around San Juan you can’t really tell that a catastrophic hurricane hit them 6 months ago except for a few torn signs and infrastructure that’s beyond repair, waiting to be demolished.

With all of that said, prices remain high because hotel availability has been limited since many remain closed for repairs and improvements, and others are still housing FEMA employees. I stayed at the Renaisssance La Concha and the hotel was packed with tourists, many who were on pre-cruise stays.

All airlines also cut back their schedules to SJU after the hurricane hit, and several have no immediate plans to return to their pre-hurricane frequency even though the demand is there. Flights are full and the prices are high.

October is low season in Puerto Rico, and the airlines most likely won’t increase frequency until high season begins sometime after the first week in December, so your options may be a bit limited. But as others have recommended, look at various options. I also wouldn’t be surprised if prices drop between now and then. If the airlines are keeping prices high, it may force them to lower prices later if they are unable to fill flights at those inflated prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not do that flight. Any delay anywhere along the way would be a problem.

Last two times we flew into SJU (December 2017 and January 2018) we waited close to an hour for luggage at the airport. That's longer than average, but not unheard of there.

I am usually very optimistic when it comes to flights but I would not chance this one. It is just too late of an arrival for my comfort. Airports seem to get more behind as the day goes on. If I am flying the same day as a cruise I only book very early non-stop flights.

I’ve been watching prices to San Juan for a couple years now on Southwest Airlines. They work differently than most airlines in that the cheapest flights can be bought when you book the furthest in advance. The longer you wait, the more expensive they will be.

When we went to Ft. Lauderdale in February on S.W. the cheapest price for the flight was two week before we flew. A lot depends on how well the plane is selling.

As in almost all things, prices are set due to supply and demand. The reason that flight is cheaper...is that most people would never chance an arrival that late. I certainly wouldn't. I catch grief from some posters here on CC when I do fly to PR on the same day as a cruise, but I leave from Orlando early on a non-stop and get in at noon.

Your situation may be different from where you are flying in from? Connecting flights? Possible delays in connecting flights? :confused:

For some reason, flights to San Juan this fall are not a plentiful (or lower cost) as in years past. We are sailing on FOS on Saturday, October 13th. There is a flight that works for us that lands at 4:50pm.

Is that enough time to gather bags and get to the port? What is the latest you can board the ship that sails at 8:30pm?

Thanks,

Dave

It should be OK but I would book it with Air2Sea along with transfers. If it shows up on the Air2Sea site it should be ok. Of coarse an earlier time would be better and buy insurance.

A couple of people have said, 'buy insurance'. When you buy insurance, there is usually a minimum time delay before they will pay. 6 hours is what I usually see. Also, they do not cover certain aspects of delay, so you would have to read the policy before purchasing to make sure you are covered for your exact situation.

But it's name is Palm Beach International. http://www.pbia.org/guide/terminal-map/

Yes, I know that. But their address and website states it being located in West Palm Beach Florida. Scroll to the bottom of your link...tell me what their address is? ;)

Palm Beach Gardens, Palm Beach, and West Palm Beach are all close relatives...but different towns/cities. ;)

You might go to Flightaware and put your flights in to see what their historical performance has been. Some flights just seem to be late more frequently than others and we’ve found Flightaware to be helpful in avoiding those when time is critical.

I catch grief from some posters here on CC when I do fly to PR on the same day as a cruise, but I leave from Orlando early on a non-stop and get in at noon.

Because we all know how easy it is to drive from Orlando to San Juan if your flight is canceled.[emoji6] Seriously, I know that there are frequent daily flights between MCO and SJU on several airlines, but nothing guarantees that you’ll get a seat on the next flight, specially when most of them operate completely full. If anything, flying from Orlando makes it more challenging to get a different flight because there aren’t as many alternatives besides a nonstop flight.

My rule of thumb is that, if I’m flying, I’ll schedule my flight so that I still have enough time to drive in a worse case scenario. If driving is not feasible for obvious geographical reasons, you can be assured that I’m not taking a same day flight, and I’m flying in a few days prior. But I know that this is not always possible for many cruisers.

Yes, I know that. But their address and website states it being located in West Palm Beach Florida. Scroll to the bottom of your link...tell me what their address is? ;)

Palm Beach Gardens, Palm Beach, and West Palm Beach are all close relatives...but different towns/cities. ;)

I know it's my home airport, my post was just a joke.:D:D:D

Yes, I know that. But their address and website states it being located in West Palm Beach Florida. Scroll to the bottom of your link...tell me what their address is?

MANY airports, not only in the USA but around the world, are not geographically located in the city which they serve. Ever been to Carolina, PR, College Park, GA, or Romulus, MI? If you’ve flown to San Juan Int’l, Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson or Detroit Metro, you have been to these cities! [emoji3] In Tokyo, Japan, Narita Int’l Airport is actually located 40 miles away!

Because we all know how easy it is to drive from Orlando to San Juan if your flight is canceled.[emoji6] Seriously, I know that there are frequent daily flights between MCO and SJU on several airlines, but nothing guarantees that you’ll get a seat on the next flight, specially when most of them operate completely full. If anything, flying from Orlando makes it more challenging to get a different flight because there aren’t as many alternatives besides a nonstop flight.

My rule of thumb is that, if I’m flying, I’ll schedule my flight so that I still have enough time to drive in a worse case scenario. If driving is not feasible for obvious geographical reasons, you can be assured that I’m not taking a same day flight, and I’m flying in a few days prior. But I know that this is not always possible for many cruisers.

And thanks for the additional (and expected as usual ;) ) ....grief. :o

I know it's my home airport, my post was just a joke.:D:D:D

We catch the same thing up here. The town of Cocoa is different than Cocoa Beach, or Cocoa Village.

Our neighbors to the north have Daytona, Daytona Beach, and Daytona Beach Shores.

:confused:;);p

MANY airports, not only in the USA but around the world, are not geographically located in the city which they serve. Ever been to Carolina, PR, College Park, GA, or Romulus, MI? If you’ve flown to San Juan Int’l, Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson or Detroit Metro, you have been to these cities! [emoji3] In Tokyo, Japan, Narita Int’l Airport is actually located 40 miles away!

And of course more grief.

Flacruiser and I were just joking around with technicalities. ;)

We catch the same thing up here. The town of Cocoa is different than Cocoa Beach, or Cocoa Village.

Our neighbors to the north have Daytona, Daytona Beach, and Daytona Beach Shores.

:confused:;);p

I’ve been in Daytona Beach and Daytona Beach Shores. Is there also an area officially called Daytona?

Cincinnati airport is in Kentucky.

As for the OP, your dilemma stinks. If you drive to Detroit you can fly on Spirit 10/12-10/20 for under $300 before they start nickel and diming you with all their nonsense fees.

For some reason, flights to San Juan this fall are not a plentiful (or lower cost) as in years past. We are sailing on FOS on Saturday, October 13th. There is a flight that works for us that lands at 4:50pm.

Is that enough time to gather bags and get to the port? What is the latest you can board the ship that sails at 8:30pm?

Thanks,

Dave

I have done this many times- you will be fine un less the flight gets cancelled for some reason.