Review of the Ruby Princess 5 Day to Cabo

3kidsncats

Cabo! So we have visited Cabo every year the past few years, so didn't have any real interest in doing much in port. A portion of our group was up for visiting Cabo Wabo, so 8 of us did that. DD3 stayed onboard and relaxed in our suite, DD2 and BF2 did the Pirate ship scuba excursion, and everyone else did their own thing. I did hear some fun was had a Senior Frogs, when we bumped into some of our friends outside of the lighthouse tequila store. So much so, that they went back after tequila shopping.

Cabo Wabo was crowded, but we were seated rather quickly, had fast, friendly service and WaboRita's in hand in very short order. Live music was very good. We ended up getting a second round of drinks, and were all pretty happy :D

39362516260_54a3b1f127_c.jpgCheers! WaboRita time by Elisa of PetraElise, on Flickr

39362515310_cc65723bf1_c.jpgCabo Wabo Cantina by Elisa of PetraElise, on Flickr

39362515150_9d19301a9c_c.jpgPost WaboRita by Elisa of PetraElise, on Flickr

After drinks, we went to a shop we visited last year, and more drinks :rolleyes: DH, I think, along with Mianmike ordered tequila shots for most of us. I didn't get any photos, but I know there is at least one great shot of the tequila out there, that I'm hoping someone will post, hint, hint. I also did some shopping at this store, as I like their glassware. Tradition has evolved to purchasing two pieces of barware each cruise. This year was two beautiful aqua glazed shot glasses, a lovely blue patterned serving tray, and a rack with 6 green swirled shot glasses.

Next up was the lighthouse for tequila. We did a little tasting, and ended up purchasing an almond tequila. They were out of the Pinta pomegranate tequila, and only had some nasty syrup like excuse for pomegranate liquor. We passed. After everyone made their selections, DD1 asked if we could hit Solomon's Landing for tacos. She loves their tacos.

Unfortunately, they don't serve them on their dinner menu, so we opted for a round of appetizers. We got a blue crab dip, a lettuce wrapped chicken, and an artichoke dip. The artichoke one was the bomb. I'm not actually a huge fan of this restaurant. Had no intention of returning here again, as I think it's over priced, but DD1, like her sisters, asks for very little. BUT, I would go back for the artichoke dip :)

After leaving Solomon's Landing, I was ready to head back. We ended up doing a lot more than I originally thought, no complaints, but was feeling guilty that DD3 was alone. (Turns out she was reasonably engaged with friends she met in the Teen Lounge this trip) There was a reasonably long line for the tender, but we've been in much worse. Our trip back to the ship ended up being in the dark, which afforded a great view of the Ruby lit up in the night.

41173138561_2afa44c708_c.jpgRuby Princess by Elisa of PetraElise, on Flickr

41173159071_89fe2d592d_c.jpgRuby Princess by Elisa of PetraElise, on Flickr

We all freshened up and reconvened for dinner in our suite. Didn't take any photos, don't remember what we ate, but it was essentially all good. We'd been indulging in tequila, had cocktails in our suite, and were just happy to be sharing a wonderful day with family and friends. Doesn't get much better.

Thursday morning we skipped the suite breakfast in Crown Grill (which I really haven't mentioned, but we enjoyed regularly) and had room service.

Room service coffee really sucks, so wish we had grabbed some cappuccino from the IC instead of ordering the carafe from room service. But other than that, it was a surreal and lovely experience to enjoy an intimate breakfast on our balcony with views of Cabo. OK, it was seriously warm, aka hot, but the ship shifted and we ended up with some shade on our balcony that saved the day.

27299715518_044b9bc824_c.jpgEarly morning Cabo by Elisa of PetraElise, on Flickr

39362525640_19710dc6a0_c.jpgSouth Cabo beaches by Elisa of PetraElise, on Flickr

40277104995_5cc8ce33b9_c.jpgBreakfast by Elisa of PetraElise, on Flickr

After breakfast, DH and I made our way to the spa. We had the thermal suite access with our cabin, and had yet to check it out. The rest of the morning was spent enjoying those fantastic tile loungers and the wet steam rooms. Heavenly. We wanted to hit the hot tubs at the Lotus Pool, but they were a little crowded, and we were still in "us" mode. Our renewal was scheduled for that evening, and we needed time for lunch, showers, etc.

Taking a review break for now, will finish up either later today, or tomorrow. Thanks for reading :)

I have to say, personally, I don't think the Chicken or Fish dishes looked very appetizing. They may have tasted fine, but the mono color and mushy looking texture just didn't look appetizing to me.

All foods that are white are notoriously difficult to photograph attractively.

In her previous life Mrs. XBGuy developed recipes as marketing materials to aid in selling various consumer products. Often, she would be asked to assist in the photography that was used for the advertising collateral. After a full eight hours of work, it was not uncommon for them to get only two good shots.

Fish, chicken, mashed potatoes, potato chips, for example, are all very difficult for even professionals to photograph attractively. Keep in mind, also, that these guys are working in studios, using high-dollar very sophisticated cameras (multiple), and very sophisticated lighting equipment. The OP with her digital camera or her cell phone was able to point-and-shoot to get her shots in just a few seconds.

In her previous life Mrs. XBGuy developed recipes as marketing materials to aid in selling various consumer products. Often, she would be asked to assist in the photography that was used for the advertising collateral. After a full eight hours of work, it was not uncommon for them to get only two good shots.

Fish, chicken, mashed potatoes, potato chips, for example, are all very difficult for even professionals to photograph attractively. Keep in mind, also, that these guys are working in studios, using high-dollar very sophisticated cameras (multiple), and very sophisticated lighting equipment. The OP with her digital camera or her cell phone was able to point-and-shoot to get her shots in just a few seconds.

My comments had nothing to do with photography. It had to do with poor meals prepared by the kitchen. Mono color. Soft/ mushy texture. There should be some color and crunchy texture to make it more appetizing.

Yes ... the fish dish was red and had color. But again, all one color and soft fish and soft something on the side. Need to have another color and crunchy alongside. Add some variety & flavors.

My comments had nothing to do with photography. It had to do with poor meals prepared by the kitchen. Mono color. Soft/ mushy texture. There should be some color and crunchy texture to make it more appetizing.

Yes ... the fish dish was red and had color. But again, all one color and soft fish and soft something on the side. Need to have another color and crunchy alongside. Add some variety & flavors.

My apologies CG999, I thought your were commenting on the pictures.

I knew what you meant, but will add that although it might not show in the image, the dish absolutely had texture variety, in addition to great flavor. You can add almond slivers, cilantro, and some other options per your preference. The assistant waiter comes with a tray of little dishes that have all the options to sprinkle on the Korma.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great info on the process of food photography— I’ve heard they often have to use faux elements to achieve a appetizing appearance. I do manage to get better shots with my real camera, but generally don’t want to lug that to a meal [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So the big impetus for this particular cruise, and inviting family and friends is that we are celebrating our 25th anniversary. We have always wanted to do a vow renewal, and had to put it off a few times in the past for a variety of reasons. Last year, we added one on the spur of the moment to my 50th birthday cruise, to see what we thought of the renewal package Princess offers. We didn't want to invite everyone this year, without knowing it was something we actually were good with. We liked it, so here we are :)

We did a "first look" in our suite. DH had not seen the dress during the 6 months I worked on it. I have been wanting to try my hand at making a bridal gown for decades, but never had an opportunity that called for one. I don't want my girls to think they need to ask me to make theirs, so this was a perfect time to fulfill that creative drive, where ever the spirit moved me. So here are a few of our first look pics (courtesy of MamaMia2), then I will add a few of the professional ones. The more complete range will be in an upcoming review of the renewal package I'm going to do in the wedding section. I will add a link to my signature once it's done, in case you are interested.

39388515490_0165c2a5f9_c.jpgFirst Look by Elisa of PetraElise, on Flickr

39388519830_b29e7f826e_c.jpgFirst Look by Elisa of PetraElise, on Flickr

27299636168_654b857c8c_c.jpgVows by Elisa of PetraElise, on Flickr

41153732652_7e23ba4226_c.jpgRing Exchange by Elisa of PetraElise, on Flickr

OP;

Thanks for taking the time o post your thoughts on your recently completed cruise. I loved your pictures, especially the vow renewal pic’s.....:):):)

Bob

You are very welcome -- it's a great way to cope with post cruise depression, lol

I think you just may be too picky for Princess. You may want to consider Oceania, if you can afford it. We have never had a bad meal on Princess, color and texture notwithstanding!

After our renewal, we obviously did some photos with the ship's photographer. I take a lot of portrait photos of family and friends, and have a particular style I like, and wanted for this event, so I met with the photographer a few days early. Showed him some examples of what I was looking for and we discussed some locations. So at the renewal, he and I were on the same page, and I got most everything I wanted (one thing didn't get was a great shot with my family -- got one, but not really what I wanted).

Then we all met up at Adagio's for drinks until our dinner reservation at Crown Grill. Earlier in the cruise, I had consulted with the pastry chef to have a special cake made. Several of our guests and myself eat low carb for health reasons, so I wanted something that they could enjoy with no guilt, stress or health consequence. The chef was wonderful, made sure he understood what was needed, and created a masterpiece of low carb goodness. He and the head chef at the Crown Grill came out and presented the cake to us after our meal (which was amazing). Those that don't need low carb ordered off the menu, and the rest were served a slice of cake. We had enough left over to enjoy after dinner the next night with our friends. The cake was simply divine, and when one of my friends mentioned the next day that he hadn't had a piece of cake in 9 years, and that this one didn't cause a BG spike, I was soooooo happy I had gone to the extra effort to arrange it. And deeply grateful that the Princess team worked so hard to make it happen.

41127444872_577586246f_c.jpgOur Almond Flour Cake by Elisa of PetraElise, on Flickr

40271449935_7807e5cd66_c.jpg2018 Mike's cellphone Princess Cetera Renewal Photos (71) by mianmike, on Flickr

And that's pretty much it -- Friday was spent packing, taking down decorations, hanging out with friends and soaking in the last day of this wonderful trip.

Disembarkation was insanely quick and easy. Took about 15-20 minutes from ship to curb. Now it's time to plan the next one, without all the event hoopla :D