T-Shirt, Shorts and Flip Flops in Venetian Dining Room for Dinner

MarysDress

7 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

What have any of those got to do with a cruise vacation???  

The point is most of those have an unwritten dress code and people still clean up for those occasions while a cruise ship dining room does have a dress code and people think it's fine to ignore it. One should follow dress etiquette where required no matter where it is.  The MDR is not a seat next to the pool eating a slice of pizza so it being a vacation has nothing to do with how you should dress or be expected to dress when required. Being on a vacation isn't a free pass to dress like a slob where codes are in place to prevent that. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Being on a vacation isn't a free pass to dress like a slob where codes are in place to prevent that. 

Your extremist argument isn't based in reality and makes it hard to discuss with you.  You are using wildly polar examples to broad brush and it's not working.  I'm a functioning adult, and I dress just fine, never had a problem on 30+ cruises.  I'm not the type to go to dinner in a wet bathing suit or anything like that, but I *am* on vacation and as such you won't find me with a tie, a jacket, a suit, a tuxedo or any of that stuff just to have a dining room dinner on a cruise ship.  All these cruise companies have chipped and whittled so much out of the experience of formal dining that it's pointless to put on the costume when they don't even throw the party.  Just be neat and clean and you're fine.  Like I said in another thread; does anyone enjoy being on vacation with family, looking at an ocean sunset, spending time with a good book near a pool or tropical beach, or is it just a bunch of perverts crawling under tables looking for exposed toes and up peoples skirts?? 

4 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Your extremist argument isn't based in reality and makes it hard to discuss with you.  You are using wildly polar examples to broad brush and it's not working.  I'm a functioning adult, and I dress just fine, never had a problem on 30+ cruises.  I'm not the type to go to dinner in a wet bathing suit or anything like that, but I *am* on vacation and as such you won't find me with a tie, a jacket, a suit, a tuxedo or any of that stuff just to have a dining room dinner on a cruise ship.  All these cruise companies have chipped and whittled so much out of the experience of formal dining that it's pointless to put on the costume when they don't even throw the party.  Just be neat and clean and you're fine.  Like I said in another thread; does anyone enjoy being on vacation with family, looking at an ocean sunset, spending time with a good book near a pool or tropical beach, or is it just a bunch of perverts crawling under tables looking for exposed toes and up peoples skirts?? 

The truth is you know I'm right but now you're deflecting ..... I never said neat and clean wasn't acceptable but this thread is about t-shirts, flip flops, and more or less beachwear in the MDR. I too do not dress in a suit and tie. I wear khakis or a dress pants, closed toed shoes, and a collard shirt as required. I have two children in tow as well and would love to just wear a tank top and flip flops but I know that is improper and follow the dress code out of respect for the rules, staff, and fellow passengers regardless of being on "vacation" in this instance. Seems pretty cut and dry to me ......

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

The truth is you know I'm right but now you're deflecting ..... I never said neat and clean wasn't acceptable but this thread is about t-shirts, flip flops, and more or less beachwear in the MDR. I too do not dress in a suit and tie. I wear khakis or a dress pants, closed toed shoes, and a collard shirt as required. I have two children in tow as well and would love to just wear a tank top and flip flops but I know that is improper and follow the dress code out of respect for the rules, staff, and fellow passengers regardless of being on "vacation" in this instance. Seems pretty cut and dry to me ......

The problem is you think it's a movie and everyone is part of the cast and needs to participate.  It isn't.  When I go on a cruise and dress for dinner, it's to be dressed normally for dinner.  I'm really not considering the crew in that equation.  Are you?  Really?? 

Anyways; when the cruise line decides to put in an effort, let me know.  My expectations of 4000-6000 guest floating amusement parks isn't to have a real formal dining experience or high quality food in the main dining rooms.  It's to have sit down dinner service with my family and we dress like we would for any normal restaurant.  

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 1

The problem is you think it's a movie and everyone is part of the cast and needs to participate.  It isn't.  When I go on a cruise and dress for dinner, it's to be dressed normally for dinner.  I'm really not considering the crew in that equation.  Are you?  Really?? 

Following the dress code is "thinking it's a movie" to you? Pretty silly .......  Your and I dress for dinner is probably the same but we aren't talking about you or I here now are we? Your normal and my normal are apparently not the same same as those with cut off jean shorts and a Harley Davidon wife beater (which I have seen in the MDR) which is again, improper  ...... If the crew is expected to be clean and tidy for us we can do the same  ...... Would you be fine with your MDR staff serving you in a t-shirt, flip flops and shorts? Probably not but I guess with some people's thinking it wouldn't change the taste of the food so that would be ok then as well ..... The "oh well, screw it" attitude .......

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tallnthensome said:

Following the dress code is "thinking it's a movie" to you? Pretty silly .......  Your and I dress for dinner is probably the same but we aren't talking about you or I here now are we? Your normal and my normal are apparently not the same same as those with cut off jean shorts and a Harley Davidon wife beater (which I have seen in the MDR) which is again, improper  ...... If the crew is expected to clean and tidy for us we can do the same  ...... Would you be fine with your MDR staff serving you in a t-shirt, flip flops and shorts? Probably not but I guess with some people's thinking it wouldn't change the taste of the food so that would be ok then as well ..... The "oh, well screw it" attitude .......

How staff dresses is up to the company and management that pay them to do a job.  They are background in my vacation.  Yes, I expect good, efficient service, frankly I don't know why they stuff them all in ill-fitting polyester make believe tuxedos, but not really a big deal to me.  

Anyways....like I said, let me know when the cruise lines up their game again to how it used to be years ago.  I bet it would entice more people to participate.  As it is the MDR service is loud, chaotic, impersonal, and the food is purposely cost-cut to drive you to specialty dining.  It's 2 or 3 star dining, generously rated.  Nothing more.  No need to pretend it's more than it is.  

How staff dresses is up to the company and management that pay them to do a job.  They are background in my vacation.  Yes, I expect good, efficient service, frankly I don't know why they stuff them all in ill-fitting polyester make believe tuxedos, but not really a big deal to me.  

Anyways....like I said, let me know when the cruise lines up their game again to how it used to be years ago.  I bet it would entice more people to participate.  As it is the MDR service is loud, chaotic, impersonal, and the food is purposely cost-cut to drive you to specialty dining.  It's 2 or 3 star dining, generously rated.  Nothing more.  No need to pretend it's more than it is.  

I believe it is passengers and their "me me me" attitude and screw the rules attitude that has led to the demise of the MDR, not the cruise lines themselves ....... Years ago you wouldn't see what you see now out of mutual respect as I have been saying .... now it's the individual and the "Don't tell what to do" attiitude. Society has changed for the worse. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I believe it is passengers and their "me me me" attitude and screw the rules attitude that has led to the demise of the MDR, not the cruise lines themselves ....... Years ago you wouldn't see what you see now out of mutual respect as I have been saying .... now it's the individual and the "Don't tell what to do" attiitude. Society has changed for the worse. 

I'm going to say it is 50% the cruise line.  The addition of specialty dining as a profit center is a response to customer requests.  But it is at the cost of the main dining room.  I recall 2 and 3 person teams, 2 hour dinner, waiters that would ask about your day and offer port advice.  On some cruise lines there was sorbet between courses, strolling musicians, very visible Captains tables every night, white glove service.  You can't have all that and have the MDR be the best meal and service if you want people to spend money on hamburgers and frozen fried GFS food in other venues.  So the MDR food, service, atmosphere has been toned down, and now what you have is where the level of expectation is much lower than it would be 30, 20, even 10 years ago.  New cruisers simply don't know how it was.  They don't expect it and aren't surprised when they don't get it.  They simply see it as the complimentary venue of their ticket, not a fine dining experience (food or service or atmosphere) because the cruise line has made it very clear that it is NOT those things, but they are available for a cost.  

The me me me generation are the kids raised in the 60's and 70's that are in their peak earning years now.  The cruise lines will get them what they are willing to pay for.    Years ago you didn't see it because of higher fares, smaller ships, and no specialty venues to upcharge for.  You can't continue to give a Cadillac when you only charge now for a Chevy 

Edited by LMaxwell

23 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I'm going to say it is 50% the cruise line.  The addition of specialty dining as a profit center is a response to customer requests.  But it is at the cost of the main dining room.  I recall 2 and 3 person teams, 2 hour dinner, waiters that would ask about your day and offer port advice.  On some cruise lines there was sorbet between courses, strolling musicians, very visible Captains tables every night, white glove service.  You can't have all that and have the MDR be the best meal and service if you want people to spend money on hamburgers and frozen fried GFS food in other venues.  So the MDR food, service, atmosphere has been toned down, and now what you have is where the level of expectation is much lower than it would be 30, 20, even 10 years ago.  New cruisers simply don't know how it was.  They don't expect it and aren't surprised when they don't get it.  They simply see it as the complimentary venue of their ticket, not a fine dining experience (food or service or atmosphere) because the cruise line has made it very clear that it is NOT those things, but they are available for a cost.  

The me me me generation are the kids raised in the 60's and 70's that are in their peak earning years now.  The cruise lines will get them what they are willing to pay for.    Years ago you didn't see it because of higher fares, smaller ships, and no specialty venues to upcharge for.  You can't continue to give a Cadillac when you only charge now for a Chevy 

I agree with you on much of this and very much so on the specialty dining. We leave in March on our 15 day Panama Canal cruise on the Bliss with our 9 and 11 year old daughters which makes this cruise very pricey ....We do not participate in specialty dining very often. I also don't like the push to pay specialty dining. I know why they do it. It's for two reasons. Profits for one and the other is new cruisers don't know what it was like to not have to pay for Lobster and chateaubriand. New cruisers are more accepting of mediocre food and many don't even go to the MDR and stick to the buffet or burger and pizza joints. I don't want to beat a dead horse here and want to say one more thing about the dress code, people, and the MDR. Last year on the Vista I walked into the MDR for dinner with some guy who just got off the basketball court. He (probably 27-30) was wearing basketball shorts, a Jordan tank/jersey, and a cabin bath towel over his head. Yes, the man had a a white bath towel over his head from sweat and his fashion statement ..... He was seated. What do you think this and other improper dress says to the MDR? It tells them that people are not only slobs and disrespectful. It also tells the MDR that they can probably get away with serving this guy inferior food and smaller portions and he's just a scrub and a "could care less passenger" that is easily satisfied. That attitude and result probably wouldn't be as easy to pass on a table of nicely dressed passengers that appeared respectful and probably demaded better. You wouldn't see too many cruiselines serving Mac & Cheese if everyone in the MDR was wearing a suit and tie. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Thanks 1

On RCI earlier this year at our upcharge Chops Grille dinner they served me tater tots and mac and cheese.  I don't recall what I wore.  I found it insulting considering this food was on the kids section of the buffet 50 feet from the restaurant.  But any given day you hear adults moaning on and on about yummy processed/frozen fried GFS food.  So I can't totally blame the cruise line.  If guests returned surveys that said they wanted better food, they may get it.  I'd agree in not letting someone sweaty in right from sports court.  That's over the line 

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

On RCI earlier this year at our upcharge Chops Grille dinner they served me tater tots and mac and cheese.  I don't recall what I wore.  I found it insulting considering this food was on the kids section of the buffet 50 feet from the restaurant.  But any given day you hear adults moaning on and on about yummy processed/frozen fried GFS food.  So I can't totally blame the cruise line.  If guests returned surveys that said they wanted better food, they may get it.  I'd agree in not letting someone sweaty in right from sports court.  That's over the line 

Yes to everything you just said .......

Super simple.   Check the Freestyle Daily.  It publishes the dress requirements for all the restaurants.  Select the restaurant in which you will feel ok dressing to the levels as explained.  Don't go to a restaurant that requires you to dress to a level where you feel uncomfortable while experiencing "well..It's my cruise".  Follow the dress code requirements for which you agreed when you contracted for this cruise.  It's easy and dining is provided somewhere for which ever level of dress you choose.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

People pay for and expect a nice and somewhat formal dining  atmosphere when they pay for a cruise. It may be the "finest" dining experience they may have as a family all year. They enjoy the ambience it offers. Why can't some understand that it bothers some people who go against the dress code. You may think it's no big deal but to others it may be disappointing to have to sit next to some scrubs that just crawled off the beach looking like slobs showing no respect to the wait staff or fellow passengers. David, what do you wear when you go to a funeral, a wedding, church? I'll guess YOU clean up a bit. With your thinking I guess you'd say "why bother?" I mean a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops is fine at every venue since it doesn't really  affect anyone or their experience, right? The answer is no you don't do it because it's wrong and disrespectful to others just as it is with people wiping their rear ends with the dress code in a nice dining room on a cruise ship. Doesn't seem to hard to understand why it bothers a lot of people if you ask me. Like others said, where do you draw the line before the MDR looks like a food court at a shopping center or a food stand at a beach? ........

I have been on many cruises and have never seen anyone dressed inappropriate for dinner or lunch in a MDR.  You think causal dress is inappropriate.  I do not.  NCL created freestyle and is a main reason I cruise with them.   On vacation, I don't want to dress up.  I am not alone in this.  If you like to dress up every night, good for you.  We don't judge you.  Don't judge us for being casual.  Casual does not mean dirty, offensive or x rated as some want to exaggerate.  As ridiculous as it is for you to judge someone in short and a T shirt, its just as ridiculous for them to judge you in a suit.   I have never seen anyone dirty, wear offensive T shirts, or be naked in the MDR.  I think NCL handles things pretty well.  Since you brought up "paying a premium" to eat at a restaurant, I can describe the Haven restaurant the most casual of all.  People eat in sweat pants, kids in pajamas and shorts.  They pay a huge premium to eat there and its a fancy restaurant.  But guess what?  NCL knows that family paid a fortune to be in the Haven and if they want to eat in pajamas, NCL does not interfere.  Our biggest disagreement is you comparing eating on a cruise ship in a MDR should have the same dress standards as a wedding or funeral.  Not even close IMHO.

Edited by david_sobe

I find this whole string to be ridiculous.  

I've never seen anything in the MDR that would ruin my experience much less my vacation, but, I also won't dismiss the possibility either.  T-shirts, flips flops, ripped jeans, butt showing, hats, hats on sideways, etc I could care less about. However, a couple of shirtless folks at the next table comes to mind as something that might affect my experience.  For those that say such shirtless dining in the MDR is outrageous and wouldn't happen, I'll say that flip-flops and shorts in the MDR of a cruise ship would have been considered out outrageous 20 years ago.  So, you just don't know what might be coming.

At the end of the day the cruise line publishes a dress code and it should be followed.  People who ignore it are wrong to ignore it.  Staff at the door who don't enforce it are wrong to not enforce it.  And I don't think it's wrong if someone wants to complain about the published dress code not being followed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Not sure I understand. Why would you be served something you didn't order at an uncharge restaurant? 

On 4/2/2018 at 10:39 PM, cruisin-m said:

If there is a less formal one they should be directed there for dinner 🙂

It still bothers me that people actually care what others are wearing when on vacation as well, it has nothing to do with how good a time you will have or the food you will eat. Plus some of us have to wear a suit and tie every day for work so you don’t want to wear that same attire to your vacation 🆒

Also once seated you can’t even see if people are wearing shorts it is only the 30 seconds as they walk in :')

The dress code doesn't say you have to wear a suit and tie to dinner but I'm sure something better than flipflops and t-shirt.  Dress shorts and knit top which is also comfortable, and by so doing you are not forcing the staff to disobey the ship's rule or make a scene trying to enforce it. If you don't like the rule change it or go to the buffet.

2 hours ago, kitty-sail said:

The dress code doesn't say you have to wear a suit and tie to dinner but I'm sure something better than flipflops and t-shirt.  Dress shorts and knit top which is also comfortable, and by so doing you are not forcing the staff to disobey the ship's rule or make a scene trying to enforce it. If you don't like the rule change it or go to the buffet.

And that is indeed part of it.  You are putting the poor ship staff in the very  uncomfortable position of trying to enforce this dress code, of which requirements you have been well aware.  Should they just let you  do a "well..it's my cruise" and violate the dress code, or try to politely refuse you entry and perhaps have an uncomfortable scene occur for all the guests to witness.   Just read the rules and follow the guidance.  So simple....for all.  I know.  For some...who cares about the staffs' problems.   It's your cruise.  

On 11/4/2018 at 6:49 AM, tallnthensome said:

People pay for and expect a nice and somewhat formal dining  atmosphere when they pay for a cruise. It may be the "finest" dining experience they may have as a family all year. They enjoy the ambience it offers. Why can't some understand that it bothers some people who go against the dress code. You may think it's no big deal but to others it may be disappointing to have to sit next to some scrubs that just crawled off the beach looking like slobs showing no respect to the wait staff or fellow passengers. David, what do you wear when you go to a funeral, a wedding, church? I'll guess YOU clean up a bit. With your thinking I guess you'd say "why bother?" I mean a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops is fine at every venue since it doesn't really  affect anyone or their experience, right? The answer is no you don't do it because it's wrong and disrespectful to others just as it is with people wiping their rear ends with the dress code in a nice dining room on a cruise ship. Doesn't seem to hard to understand why it bothers a lot of people if you ask me. Like others said, where do you draw the line before the MDR looks like a food court at a shopping center or a food stand at a beach? ........

I'm sorry, but your opinion is ridiculous. If what the people around you look like gets your underwear in so much of a twist that it ruins the best dining experience of your year... You're going to have a bad time. Do you want to know how many ugly people I saw on my last cruise on Getaway? A lot. A looooooooooot. Now, beauty is of course subjective, but if I convinced myself that anyone who doesn't look how *I* prefer/expect is somehow offending me... You can imagine how much I'd have enjoyed the cruise. Or, not enjoyed it, rather. 

Edited by Fincherson
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Trimone said:

The old saying, dress like a slob, get treated like one?

Yikes. So if someone doesn't look how I prefer them to I can treat them accordingly? Groundbreaking stuff here.

We're talking about casual wear, not shirts covered in mud and soaked in BO. 

11 minutes ago, Fincherson said:

Yikes. So if someone doesn't look how I prefer them to I can treat them accordingly? Groundbreaking stuff here.

We're talking about casual wear, not shirts covered in mud and soaked in BO. 

Not at all! Dress how you like, it’s part of the entertainment, love to see someone turned away, and become the victim.

personally I’ve seen more disgraceful sights and behaviour in the Haven dining room than MDR, just because they have $ it doesn’t buy manners.

• Like 1