T-Shirt, Shorts and Flip Flops in Venetian Dining Room for Dinner

MarysDress

On 4/3/2018 at 4:24 AM, brooklyncruiser99 said:

"It used to be called class and good manners." You'll be hard-pressed to find those standards onboard any longer, sadly...

Has nothing to do with "class and good manners".  You are on vacation, in a sub tropical environment and should be able to wear t shirts and flip flops. You can sit at home or go to a restaurant at home wearing those, why not on the ship in the normal eating areas? Having said that, if you are "going out", even at home, then appropriate dress is expected. Lastly, women wearing a t shirt, shorts and sandals is acceptable but not men?

• Like 1

DH & I we’re heading to dinner, our first choice restaurant was full, DH walked to MDR, I stopped him saying I wasn’t dressed properly, (I was wearing black jeans, at the time jeans were not acceptable for women but were for men). The next NCL cruise we were on jeans were ok for women.

Going on a land based vacation in Mexico was surprised to find out shorts aren’t ok in some dining rooms

NCL’s dress code has been updated before  - maybe it’s time for it to be updated again. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 11:30 AM, doenute said:

• Seems to be a trend to run with high beams on interstates now--or if not high beams mount obnoxious auxiliary lights etc.
  • People seem to love going into the convenience store and leaving the empty ar at the pump
  • Don't get me started about people self-assessing their medical condition and using handicap parking.

1. Motorcycles should (required by law in some states) have their high beams on during the day and low beams on after dark.

2. Many people pay with cash. If the line in the convenience store is long, the empty car will sit there before pumping gas or after getting gas while the customer gets their change.

3. Not all medical conditions are outwardly visible. Yes, there is fraud but just because the person "seems fine', there may be a legitimate reason for their HC plate/sticker/mirror tag.

This thread is ridiculous and I vote troll.  There have been several threads lately about people complaining about shorts in the MDR's and restaurants.  HELLO!  NCL allows shorts in most of their restaurants.  If this is a real person, I am very interested in them how they went around the restaurant checking who had open toe sandals or flip flops.  Dear Lord, they had shorts on too!!

The next thing you would expect us to believe is that they were on vacation too.  A cruise ship as well!!!

If dressing up is your thing, great!  But don't flame others for being on vacation and dressing casual.  Stick to Le Bistro or another restaurant with a dress code.

(still not convinced this thread is for real).  The first CC post is flaming people for being casually dressed on vacation.   Call me a skeptic but I find it hard to believe 😉

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

OK..

19 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

If dressing up is your thing, great!  But don't flame others for being on vacation and dressing casual.  Stick to Le Bistro or another restaurant with a dress code.

OK...first of all, the Venetian (or the largest main dining room of any NCL ship) DOES have a dress code, they are more dressy than the other venues...so I am not flaming you if I tell you that if you don't want to dress up on vacation, the onus is on you to eat somewhere else.   

Second, the reason I object to others not following the dress code is because (insert whiny voice here) it is simply not fair.  If 80 or 90 or 95 percent of the people take the time and the effort to pay the price (packing dressier clothes, changing from day time outfits to night time outfits) they are the ones who should get the reward (eating in the more formal dining room).  The people who are not willing to pay the price should not get the reward. 

I get that dress codes are hard:  when my son sailed at age 13, he was turned away from the main dining room because his navy blue dress shorts.  Apparently 12 year old boys can wear shorts, 13 year olds can't  He ended up eating in the dining room in track pants..which IMO were much less dressy.   But the point is he was made to comply.  If he sails on the next ship and grown men are wearing shorts, what is he going to think?

People should respect the dress code.  Ship should enforce.  

• Like 3

It doesn't matter to me how everyone else is dressed, but it does take extra effort to make sure you have packed what will be appropriate in the dining room you have chosen.  That's the part that can feel unfair.  I will usually just go to the buffet if I don't feel like putting on something else for dinner in one of the main dining rooms.  If NCL doesn't care about their dress code as written then I think they should change it. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, FitchburgWIFamily said:

OK..

OK...first of all, the Venetian (or the largest main dining room of any NCL ship) DOES have a dress code, they are more dressy than the other venues...so I am not flaming you if I tell you that if you don't want to dress up on vacation, the onus is on you to eat somewhere else.   

Second, the reason I object to others not following the dress code is because (insert whiny voice here) it is simply not fair.  If 80 or 90 or 95 percent of the people take the time and the effort to pay the price (packing dressier clothes, changing from day time outfits to night time outfits) they are the ones who should get the reward (eating in the more formal dining room).  The people who are not willing to pay the price should not get the reward. 

I get that dress codes are hard:  when my son sailed at age 13, he was turned away from the main dining room because his navy blue dress shorts.  Apparently 12 year old boys can wear shorts, 13 year olds can't  He ended up eating in the dining room in track pants..which IMO were much less dressy.   But the point is he was made to comply.  If he sails on the next ship and grown men are wearing shorts, what is he going to think?

People should respect the dress code.  Ship should enforce.  

The Venetian is a Main Dining Room on NCL. Its just one step above the buffet.  See.... I trust NCL's staff to enforce any dress code. You do not.  There are some very nice knee cut shorts that are actually dressy IMHO.  You don't trust NCL's staff and want to let renegade customers impose their "Sharia Law" standard dress code.  I say, RELAX.  Chill out and worry about yourself before you cast judgment on others.

23 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

The Venetian is a Main Dining Room on NCL. Its just one step above the buffet.  

I am not sure what you are implying.  Is it that you think there isn't a dress code for the larger main dining room on NCL ships?  'Cause there is, and it is different from the other dining venues.  Different from the buffet, different from the other main dining room.   

From NCL's website: 

SMART CASUAL

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

A FEW CONSIDERATIONS

Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. However, tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

-------------------------------------

The more formal dining room is the larger dining room.   See how it says men need to wear collared shirts and slacks or jeans?    That's how we know they aren't supposed to wear shorts.  To hammer it home, there is a line in the next paragraph that says Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear shorts.  That's another way we know men (assuming your definition of Men is someone over 12) are not supposed to wear shorts.

See, there are two kinds of people in this world:  people who take the time to read, educate themselves and follow the rules.   And the people who don't take the time to educate themselves and then get all defensive if someone calls them out for not following the rules.

I am not sure where the whole sharia law thing comes in...or where you thought I (or anyone else) was imposing our standards on others.  We are lamenting that people are not following NCL's policies.  Since the vast majority of the passengers do follow the rules, it is a shame the small minority is so ignorant, callous or entitled that they don't.   

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, FitchburgWIFamily said:

I am not sure what you are implying.  Is it that you think there isn't a dress code for the larger main dining room on NCL ships?  'Cause there is, and it is different from the other dining venues.  Different from the buffet, different from the other main dining room.   

Just to add...

The "smart casual" requirement for one of the MDRs isn't fleetwide. On some ships, shorts are allowed in all MDRs. Shorts are allowed in most specialty restaurants, too.

I know that the website doesn't give specifics for each ship but the ship's dailies will give the specifics as to which restaurants require long pants.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

For the "who cares what other people wear" folks, does that extend to me coming into the dining room shirtless? How about if I put my feet up on the table? Does the "why would what other people wear affect your experience" apply here? How about a shirt that say "Eat, F**ck, Love"?  Should that not affect my experience? Just trying to figure out where you all draw the line.

Edited by opshannon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, opshannon said:

For the "who cares what other people wear" folks, does that extend to me coming into the dining room shirtless? How about if I put my feet up on the table? Does the "why would what other people wear affect your experience" apply here? How about a shirt that say "Eat, F**ck, Love"?  Should that not affect my experience? Just trying to figure out where you all draw the line.

This is exactly right. Where is the line drawn and why is it so hard to understand? Follow the rules before the dress code or lack there of gets worse with the help of the enablers. The atmosphere will soon turn south ... Dressing appropriately is respectful to your fellow passengers and wait staff. I wonder how some of these “don’t care” people would feel if these people in flip flops, shors, and tank tops came to a funeral like that? You known they would think it was inappropriate. But heck, the guys dead so what does he care, right? I mean it doesn’t affect others right? There are rules and right and wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, opshannon said:

Well, here's what you need to understand...  If YOU do anything like the above, *I* won't have anything to say about it.  I certainly can't control your behavior.  If for some ridiculous reason you weren't stopped by staff and were served at the next table, it would not affect me in the least except for the amusement I and whoever I was dining with would have at your expense.  We would make the best of our meal and go on with our lives.  You should try it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cliffd64 said:

Good luck with that...  you have set yourself up for a lifetime of disappointment...

I'm quite happy myself.  And I agree with your comment above about getting a chuckle out of someone in a Wifebeater, etc....Sail on.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

Ha ha.  Some people are really funny.  I sense they are losing the debate so resort to funny and extreme parodies of a dress code.  Shirtless?  Naked?  F-bombs on shirts?
C'mon guys.  No one would ever suggest or defend anything like that.  If you are seriously offended by eating at a MDR on a cruise and see people across the restaurant in shorts or a T shirt...you seriously need to get a life.  Maybe you are jealous because they look so good in their T Shirt and shorts while your Tux's belt is on its last hole.  So let's take judging people to a new level.  Anyone 10 pounds over weight should be banned from the buffet and MDR.  Its highly offensive and disgusting. So where do you draw the line?   See we can play this silly game too 😉  I will gladly sit next to a couple in shorts and a ballcap than the obese couple with 5 appetizers.  You guys really want to judge people so let's bring it!

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

Ha ha.  Some people are really funny.  I sense they are losing the debate so resort to funny and extreme parodies of a dress code.  Shirtless?  Naked?  F-bombs on shirts?
C'mon guys.  No one would ever suggest or defend anything like that.  If you are seriously offended by eating at a MDR on a cruise and see people across the restaurant in shorts or a T shirt...you seriously need to get a life.  Maybe you are jealous because they look so good in their T Shirt and shorts while your Tux's belt is on its last hole.  So let's take judging people to a new level.  Anyone 10 pounds over weight should be banned from the buffet and MDR.  Its highly offensive and disgusting. So where do you draw the line?   See we can play this silly game too 😉  I will gladly sit next to a couple in shorts and a ballcap than the obese couple with 5 appetizers.  You guys really want to judge people so let's bring it!

People pay for and expect a nice and somewhat formal dining  atmosphere when they pay for a cruise. It may be the "finest" dining experience they may have as a family all year. They enjoy the ambience it offers. Why can't some understand that it bothers some people who go against the dress code. You may think it's no big deal but to others it may be disappointing to have to sit next to some scrubs that just crawled off the beach looking like slobs showing no respect to the wait staff or fellow passengers. David, what do you wear when you go to a funeral, a wedding, church? I'll guess YOU clean up a bit. With your thinking I guess you'd say "why bother?" I mean a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops is fine at every venue since it doesn't really  affect anyone or their experience, right? The answer is no you don't do it because it's wrong and disrespectful to others just as it is with people wiping their rear ends with the dress code in a nice dining room on a cruise ship. Doesn't seem to hard to understand why it bothers a lot of people if you ask me. Like others said, where do you draw the line before the MDR looks like a food court at a shopping center or a food stand at a beach? ........

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

funeral, a wedding, church

What have any of those got to do with a cruise vacation???  

I'm glad you are volunteering to be an extra in the cast of my vacation, but I'm not asking, I don't expect it, and I'm not agreeing to reciprocate

Edited by LMaxwell