T-Shirt, Shorts and Flip Flops in Venetian Dining Room for Dinner

MarysDress

Just returned yesterday from a week on the Dawn. Overall a wonderful time. DH and I have cruised 9 times on NCL (a few times on other lines). I will post a review at some point - again a wonderful time overall but...

I was pretty disappointed when we chose to go to the Venetian dining room for dinner and watched grown men being seated wearing T-shirts, shorts (athletic - not dress) and flip flops. DH told me the rules must have been changed. They weren't -

https://www.ncl.com/faq#what-clothes-should---pack

they just weren't enforced. I don't really blame the crew - I think they do their best and generally are told not to make guests uncomfortable. Nonetheless, I think it is time for a sign outside of the Venetian (much like the one we saw at the desk at Le Bistro) stating the policy and some active enforcement.

Just returned yesterday from a week on the Dawn. Overall a wonderful time. DH and I have cruised 9 times on NCL (a few times on other lines). I will post a review at some point - again a wonderful time overall but...

I was pretty disappointed when we chose to go to the Venetian dining room for dinner and watched grown men being seated wearing T-shirts, shorts (athletic - not dress) and flip flops. DH told me the rules must have been changed. They weren't -

they just weren't enforced. I don't really blame the crew - I think they do their best and generally are told not to make guests uncomfortable. Nonetheless, I think it is time for a sign outside of the Venetian (much like the one we saw at the desk at Le Bistro) stating the policy and some active enforcement.

Is the Venetian the dining room on that ship designated as more formal?

How were the women dressed with these men?

The Venetian is the formal dining room on the Dawn - Aqua is less formal. I can't say that I noticed what the women were wearing - I watched them as they walked down the stairs to be seated (we weren't sitting next to them)

If there is a less formal one they should be directed there for dinner :)

It still bothers me that people actually care what others are wearing when on vacation as well, it has nothing to do with how good a time you will have or the food you will eat. Plus some of us have to wear a suit and tie every day for work so you don’t want to wear that same attire to your vacation :cool:

Also once seated you can’t even see if people are wearing shorts it is only the 30 seconds as they walk in :')

• Like 3

Just returned yesterday from a week on the Dawn. Overall a wonderful time. DH and I have cruised 9 times on NCL (a few times on other lines). I will post a review at some point - again a wonderful time overall but... I was pretty disappointed when we chose to go to the Venetian dining room for dinner and watched grown men being seated wearing T-shirts, shorts (athletic - not dress) and flip flops. DH told me the rules must have been changed. They weren't - https://www.ncl.com/faq#what-clothes-should---pack they just weren't enforced. I don't really blame the crew - I think they do their best and generally are told not to make guests uncomfortable. Nonetheless, I think it is time for a sign outside of the Venetian (much like the one we saw at the desk at Le Bistro) stating the policy and some active enforcement.

Did you consult your Freestyle Daily? Shorts are allowed on the first and last night of the cruise.

It still bothers me that people actually care what others are wearing when on vacation as well, it has nothing to do with how good a time you will have or the food you will eat. Plus some of us have to wear a suit and tie every day for work so you don’t want to wear that same attire to your vacation :cool:

Also once seated you can’t even see if people are wearing shorts it is only the 30 seconds as they walk in :')

Agreed. It comes off as so pretentious and snobbish. I couldn't care less what anybody wears. I'm there to have a good time, not turn my nose up at others. Let the pearl clutching continue.

• Like 1

"It used to be called class and good manners." You'll be hard-pressed to find those standards onboard any longer, sadly...

• Like 1

Requesting that people wear long pants or jeans isn't even close to a suit and tie.

it seems to depend on the hostess if they enforce the dress policy and I agree with you, they should or just forget it period. I . I will add it isn't just NCL, we were on Princess about 5 years ago and shocked at what type of dress or lack of same some were wearing in the MDRS. Yet on formal optional nights we saw people in the buffet wearing formals and tuxedos. I guess it is just hit or miss anymore. Maybe it shouldn't bother any of us it some want to stretch the policy to fit their own desires, but it does.

"It used to be called class and good manners." You'll be hard-pressed to find those standards onboard any longer, sadly...

agree100%. I have seen the rule enforced a few times. As OP said, if nothing else there should be a sign up as you approach the hostess desk or whatever you want to call it: no shorts or flip flops, whatever and yes, this should go for men as well as women.

• Like 1

i wear flip flops even to lebistro, although never with shorts, always with a skirt or capris. i find it hard to believe this would ruin someone's dinner experience.

I am not sure anyone said it ruined their meal, but maybe I missed that part, plus there are flip flops and then again flip flops I take it the Op was not referring to nice flip flops that most of us wear. there is a huge difference. when I think flip flops I think sloppy slip on types of shoes. I am sure you wear cute ones or somewhat dressy ones. :rolleyes:

i wear flip flops even to lebistro, although never with shorts, always with a skirt or capris. i find it hard to believe this would ruin someone's dinner experience.

I am not sure anyone said it ruined their meal, but maybe I missed that part, plus there are flip flops and then again flip flops I take it the Op was not referring to nice flip flops that most of us wear. there is a huge difference. when I think flip flops I think sloppy slip on types of shoes. I am sure you wear cute ones or somewhat dressy ones. :rolleyes:

OP didn't give a pass to any kind. If OP wants a stricter dress code for men it's going to apply to women too. I don't see anything about dressy flip flops and capris. Think long and hard about what you are asking for bc you have to follow it too.

The world was a better place years ago when people worried more about themselves, instead of being obsessed with what other people are doing.

It was also a better place years ago when people actually followed the guidelines and knew how to dress when going out to dinner.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's about a little thing called ambiance. If a restaurant advertises the dress codes as being a bit more formal in nature and people choose that particular restaurant for that ambiance then they should expect the dress codes to be enforced.

Not a single person is saying that seeing someone in shorts is going to ruin their meals but there is a time and place for everything. There are plenty of venues on board the vessels for everyone's tastes.

Respect for other people's preferences is a two way street.

Edited by ColinIllinois
  • Like 3

It's about a little thing called ambiance. If a restaurant advertises the dress codes as being a bit more formal in nature and people choose that particular restaurant for that ambiance then they should expect the dress codes to be enforced.

Not a single person is saying that seeing someone in shorts is going to ruin their meals but there is a time and place for everything. There are plenty of venues on board the vessels for everyone's tastes.

No, it's called live and let live. People on a cruise need to get over themselves if they think anyone is going to lose sleep over their fellow cruisers wearing sandals and shorts to dinner. Clearly NCL doesn't actually have an issue with it so the people in question are dressed "appropriately" for dinner.

All of the above! And it is about following the rules that are provided, not picking and choosing which ones you feel should not apply to you. If NCL says you can eat naked, that's fine with me too, if they say it. But follow the stated/advertised rules that you accepted when you accepted the conditions of your cruise contract. It isn't just "my cruise". It is the cruise of all the guests on board equally and if any of them are expecting a certain ambiance to be present in that MDR, because it is advertised as such, then that is the way they should find it. Yes, NCL crew should enforce the stated dress code...and generally does on most of our cruises.

• Like 2

No, it's called live and let live. People on a cruise need to get over themselves if they think anyone is going to lose sleep over their fellow cruisers wearing sandals and shorts to dinner. Clearly NCL doesn't actually have an issue with it so the people in question are dressed "appropriately" for dinner.

Actually, NCL does have an issue with it. However, challenging the NCL rules puts the poor crew member in an awkward and uncomfortable position when trying to enforce it. So some don't, but many do.

• Like 2

I also have a problem with the word"class" as it has so many connotations. What other people wear has nothing to do with me so why should I care?

Pat