T-Shirt, Shorts and Flip Flops in Venetian Dining Room for Dinner

MarysDress

Personally, I don’t care what people wear to dinner on a cruise line. I understand that not everyone feels the same way. Over the years, this topic gets “re-worked” over and over again.

I’ve heard all the arguments. Just had this discussion in anothe thread where someone felt if they wore a tux, the cruise lines should make it a point to have a special area for dinner where EVERYONE wore a tux.

A few years ago here at CC, there was a lady who was adamant that gowns and tuxes be required of everyone so other passengers would provide a better background for when her family took pictures. In short, she was narcissistic enough that she felt all the other passengers were nothing more than background for her.

None of this debate ever changes anything. Cruise lines are focused on what the majority want. Most of these cruise lines have made it a point to call their “formal” dinner nights “suggestions”. That’s probably the best way to handle it. Or, as NCL does the designation...”Dress up....or not”!

If you want to “tux and gown”, feel free to do so. Personally, I find that those that do tend to clog up the main stair cases for others to move around so they can “pose” for pictures. I won’t deny their right to dress as they choose, however.

As an aside, I went to an upscale restaurant earlier this year in Austin, TX. I had must flown in for meetings, but my flight was delayed and I drove right from the airport to the restaurant so I could be on time. I was wearing docker shorts and a polo shirt. I asked the maitre ‘d if I could enter. He gave the best answer I can remember.

“Are you paying the tab for your group?”

I answered “yes”!

He replied, “you can wear whatever you want, then”.

Sort of sums it up.

How anyone else dresses has zero bearing on if I have a good time or a good dinner.

The good news is, there are fewer and fewer threads about this topic than there used to be. Hopefully, at some point, they’ll die out all together.

No, it's called live and let live. People on a cruise need to get over themselves if they think anyone is going to lose sleep over their fellow cruisers wearing sandals and shorts to dinner. Clearly NCL doesn't actually have an issue with it so the people in question are dressed "appropriately" for dinner.

No, they are not. As Colin said, if a restaurant is ADVERTISED as having a specific dress code then that is what should be ENFORCED. NCL is dropping the ball by not doing that..

It's a pretty simple concept.

• Like 2

I do agree that if NCL is going to have a dress code, they should enforce it. If they don't enforce it and people show up in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops, it doesn't bother me one bit, because I can only control what I do and not what others do.

Perhaps the people going to the particular dining room underdressed per the NCL policy were simply not informed. I'd love to believe that. But, it seems unlikely in the self-centered all about me times we live in:

• Seems to be a trend to run with high beams on interstates now--or if not high beams mount obnoxious auxiliary lights etc.
  • Same thing with fog lights.
  • Seems that many like to have their precious animals with them in grocery stores
  • People seem to love going into the convenience store and leaving the empty ar at the pump
  • Don't get me started about people self-assessing their medical condition and using handicap parking.
  • Seems many people can't shut their traps in places that demand respect, like churches and war memorials--though I LOVE the guards and the Tomb of the Unknowns in Arlington National Cemetary. Try this their a-holes.

I could go on an on about the slide in decency over the years.

Yes, the USA was a better place when more people actually had more respect for others. Laws and signs should not be needed to replace common sense and decency. Doesn't seem to have much effect anyway.

I am a dedicated platinum NCL cruiser, and enjoy the fact that the cruises are casual. Unfortunately today people are so self centered and it's all about me attitude that they push any reasonable rules to the extreme. On all of my past 16 cruises the only rude people I have ever experienced was my fellow passengers. I grant you that dress is not a reason to have someone spoil your dinner but it does show the ignorance of the offender to assimilate into society. This is generally why I only take longer cruises always when school is in session to avoid unsupervised children, wild spring breakers, and large family cruisers.

I am a dedicated platinum NCL cruiser, and enjoy the fact that the cruises are casual. Unfortunately today people are so self centered and it's all about me attitude that they push any reasonable rules to the extreme. On all of my past 16 cruises the only rude people I have ever experienced was my fellow passengers. I grant you that dress is not a reason to have someone spoil your dinner but it does show the ignorance of the offender to assimilate into society. This is generally why I only take longer cruises always when school is in session to avoid unsupervised children, wild spring breakers, and large family cruisers.

Sounds like me trying to avoid the persnickity old people. To each his own!

• Like 1

This is sorta drifting away from how people dress......

In all frankness, whenever you have a facility that there are 1,000, 2,000, 3,000, even 4,000 plus people in a venue, a stadium, and yes....a ship, etc., someone somewhere is going to be offended by another’s speach, behavior, mode of dress, habits, etc.

It’s just human nature. Do as I do (or, in this case, dress as I dress) or face my scorn and derision.

Don’t think for a second that NCL (or RCCL, or Celebrity, or CCL, etc) cares how their patrons dress, you’re mistaken.

Anyone in the service industry knows that first and foremost, their job is to be friendly and accommodating regardless of how patrons act (or dress).

All this talk about following the dress suggestions to the letter is going to fall on deaf ears as a result.

I was recently on the Star and we were in the more formal dining room on Dress up or not night. My friend wore his suit and I wore a long skirt and dressy blouse. A group of 4 who were seated near us had one gentlemen wearing a cartoon type t-shirt. He was asked to change after they were seated and came back wearing a collared shirt. This seems to vary from ship to ship. I am not particular when it comes to what someone else wears. I actually only noticed this because I had been reading threads here and so I was being more observant than I usually would.

Candi

Personally, I don't care what other people wear while on vacation. However I must say that if I am in one of the specialty restaurants I prefer NOT to see peoples feet or armpits while I'm eating. Would it ruin my trip/experience? Absolutely not. I see where OP is coming from but if that is what you remember/take from your cruise experience you should probably should find another way to vacation.

"It used to be called class and good manners." You'll be hard-pressed to find those standards onboard any longer, sadly...

It doesn’t really bother me, but look around at what people wear to Church, work, social events, and the mall. There are no standards anymore. Why do you think they will do better on a ship.

Not a single person is saying that seeing someone in shorts is going to ruin their meals but there is a time and place for everything. There are plenty of venues on board the vessels for everyone's tastes.

Respect for other people's preferences is a two way street.

You put this much better than I did. To answer questions/comments above, no it was not the first or last night of the cruise. My cruise nor my food was ruined. I can understand that some people may think dress codes are silly - and I don't necessarily disagree - but if there is a dress code it should be enforced. That's all I was trying to say.

• Like 2

I agree that standards have changed and I kind of roll with the flow. The only time I dressed in slacks for Dinner was at Ocean Blue, all other dinners were in shorts and a tee, polo or Aloha shirt. Having said that I saw a serious problem that needs attention and possible signs posted at the entrance to dining rooms. We were seated in Savor for dinner and a lady removed her teeth and placed them on the table while she was eating! Oh the horror!!!!

I tend to be overdressed on my cruises and so I think that the minimum standards that the cruise lines list for their venues should be upheld.

On a visit to Walmart a couple weeks ago I witnessed a young lady walk into the store wearing a bright pink bathrobe and fuzzy slippers.

I am expecting that if she were on a cruise she wouldn’t think twice about trying to wear this into a main dining room.

What’s next, people wearing their bathing suits and beach towels to the dining room for dinner?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 4/3/2018 at 8:56 AM, quickrate said:

I also have a problem with the word"class" as it has so many connotations. What other people wear has nothing to do with me so why should I care?

Pat

It has the exact connotation that was implied and herein lies the problem...the cruise industry has become ubiquitous so that anybody can do it and I'm statiscally poor but class and good manners cost nothing.  And finally to all thoses persons intent on showing off your cheesy toes in the formal dining rooms, (not that I care),  you will be singing a different tune when a hot plate or soup falls on you...btw "common sense" is not common!

On 4/2/2018 at 9:18 PM, MarysDress said:

Just returned yesterday from a week on the Dawn. Overall a wonderful time. DH and I have cruised 9 times on NCL (a few times on other lines). I will post a review at some point - again a wonderful time overall but...

I was pretty disappointed when we chose to go to the Venetian dining room for dinner and watched grown men being seated wearing T-shirts, shorts (athletic - not dress) and flip flops. DH told me the rules must have been changed. They weren't -

https://www.ncl.com/faq#what-clothes-should---pack

they just weren't enforced. I don't really blame the crew - I think they do their best and generally are told not to make guests uncomfortable. Nonetheless, I think it is time for a sign outside of the Venetian (much like the one we saw at the desk at Le Bistro) stating the policy and some active enforcement.

It seems to be pretty much up to the discretion of the hostess as to whether they relax the rules or not. I would be as upset the those who don't believe in following the rules as I would be with the crew. But let's face it, there will always be those who think rules are made for everyone else, not them. 

On 4/3/2018 at 8:49 AM, roger001 said:

All of the above! And it is about following the rules that are provided, not picking and choosing which ones you feel should not apply to you. If NCL says you can eat naked, that's fine with me too, if they say it. But follow the stated/advertised rules that you accepted when you accepted the conditions of your cruise contract. It isn't just "my cruise". It is the cruise of all the guests on board equally and if any of them are expecting a certain ambiance to be present in that MDR, because it is advertised as such, then that is the way they should find it. Yes, NCL crew should enforce the stated dress code...and generally does on most of our cruises.

Here's where these arguments fall apart...  what are YOU going to do when invariably someone violates it and NCL DOES NOT ENFORCE it...  This obviously happens quite often.  How you react to that situation is entirely on YOU not on the cruise line and not the people who are wearing shorts.  I, and obviously several others, choose to not let someone else's choice of wardrobe affect our dining experience, nor will we let it negatively affect our vacation as a whole.  If you let it affect you, that is entirely on you.  The only thing you can control is your own behavior, not anyone else's.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2018 at 3:00 AM, kollegekreed said:

I am incredibly sorry. I’m sure what other people were wearing must have really affected the taste of your food and the comoany at your table.

When the cruise line has rules, it should follow them.  Yes, the food doesn't taste different if fellow cruisers dress grungy, but it does affect the atmosphere.

NCL's rules are not as strict as most of the cruise lines and the second MDR is there for the grunge groups.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2018 at 12:26 PM, dd likes to cruise said:

It doesn’t really bother me, but look around at what people wear to Church, work, social events, and the mall. There are no standards anymore. Why do you think they will do better on a ship.

Totally wrong. It's not that there are no standards anymore... It's that standards have grown and changed with the times.  This isn't 1950 any longer...

Get over it.

• Haha 1