Going Rate for Upsell Fairy?

Does it seem like they ask those who have paid the most for their balconies first and then go down the list? Or if you had a really good price for your balcony you would be asked to pay more for an up sell? I’m just tying to figure out how RC does this as we have never been called.

The person I talked to said this is something brand new. Really feels like they are actually acknowledging elimination of the free upgrades in name and not just practice now.

They're rolling out more than just their website. Even though I was told "in a couple of months" the select gift and upgrade preferences would return, I bet that depends on the response to this new idea of pricing ascribes a value and people will want it more philosphy.

It would be more helpful if they would say we have a JS available and how much would you be willing to pay for the upgrade if they actually wanted a successful pilot program. So now I'm asking myself how much I'm willing to pay for upgrades. Otherwise I could fall prey to the auction attitude they are currently using and making regretful decisions.

How about actually learning what the clients want instead of trying to twist our arms with marketing ploys that leave us feeling used.

Good to hear. Hi to Leslie. Bon Voyage!
Left Leslie at home.....

She's meeting me in Pamplona Spain. She is walking the Camino de Santiago with our British friend Jean. Traveling with my Uncle.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

It would be more helpful if they would say we have a JS available and how much would you be willing to pay for the upgrade if they actually wanted a successful pilot program. So now I'm asking myself how much I'm willing to pay for upgrades. Otherwise I could fall prey to the auction attitude they are currently using and making regretful decisions.

How about actually learning what the clients want instead of trying to twist our arms with marketing ploys that leave us feeling used.

I agree with this. I think that if they were operating in a vacuum and there was no way for anyone else to learn the offers being offered to different cruisers, their tactics may be successful. But we have the internet, and message boards, and we google EVERYTHING. I found out that others were getting the same offer to upgrade as me minutes after I received the email. And also discovered the discrepancy of the upgrade charge. It's true that maybe the same upgrade will be worth it for the price I was offered, just as the same cruise was bought by others for different prices. But I think the same offers would be much less off putting if they asked what we thought was a value and then just accepted or rejected our idea of value. They would get a good bit of market research in the process.

Interesting. I'm booked in an obstructed view balcony, on what is likely the same cruise as OP (5/31/18 Anthem), and I didn't get that email. I'm Diamond so I wonder if that makes a difference? Or is it completely random who gets the upsell emails? Btw I'm with OP, I would never spend an extra $1300 for the upgrade, not worth it IMO.

Wondering what is the current price difference between what you paid and the current sale for a junior suite?

Price difference is about $2900. Between what I paid for the Obstructed Balcony and the lowest price for the JS on my sailing.

Interesting. I'm booked in an obstructed view balcony, on what is likely the same cruise as OP (5/31/18 Anthem), and I didn't get that email. I'm Diamond so I wonder if that makes a difference? Or is it completely random who gets the upsell emails? Btw I'm with OP, I would never spend an extra $1300 for the upgrade, not worth it IMO.

Hey there fellow cruiser! We are indeed on the same sailing. From what I gather from discussion here on the boards, RC may be feeling out a new model for upgrades, may do away with free auto upgrades. So there may be a reason for their season or they may be picking people completely at random. For what it’s worth I’m not a first time cruiser, but I am sailing RCCL for the first time.

We are sailing on the Anthem in 9 days. Got a call Tuesday to move up from a JS to a GS for $650. We turned it down but only because we are sailing with family who were not eligible for this 'upgrade'. I probably would have done it if we were by ourselves.....the full suite perks would be nice! :cool:

Here is my recent experience with the upsell fairy (I sail this Saturday on Anthem):

I have received no emails regarding upgrades/upsells.

About three weeks ago, the fairy called me to offer an upgrade from my family Junior suite to a grand suite for $650. I asked them to explain what a GS is, and then said "it would have no Pullman for my daughter and we'd loose the second bathroom. No thank you." You could tell the fairy totally agreed with me that it would be a bad move for our situation with 2 adults & a child. We politely parted ways

Last week, I get another call from the upsell fairy. This time, I wasn't home and she left a message offering an upgrade from my family Junior suite to a royal family Suite (A two bedroom grand suite) for $650 total. I called RC back about two hours later, and took them up on their offer. (after quickly conferring on cruise critic to see if this was a smart move/good price.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Mom.to.2

We got the upgrade/upsell call. GS to OS 1bdr for $200. Yup took it.

..........Last week, I get another call from the upsell fairy. This time, I wasn't home and she left a message offering an upgrade from my family Junior suite to a royal family Suite (A two bedroom grand suite) for $650 total. I called RC back about two hours later, and took them up on their offer. (after quickly conferring on cruise critic to see if this was a smart move/good price.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, looks like you 2 scored. Congrats. I never seem to be on cruises that aren't sold out. I guess I just don't know how to pick them.

Going on my first cruise in June on Enchantment of the seas. Got an email the other day asking if I want on the upgrade waitlist. We will be in an ocean view and they are offering an ocean view balcony for $450. I doubt my hubby and I will upgrade. 1) this is half the price we paid for the cruise and 2) balconies were sold out when the cruise was booked several months ago. Iwe could really care less about the upgrade. We’re just excited to go our first cruise and a true vacation with no kids.

I’m really not sure why anyone is offended by these e mails or calls or thinks that Royal is trying to gouge them regardless of the price that they are offering.

Royal’s in the business to make money and not offer everyone the deal of a lifetime that they just can’t refuse.

You have a cabin, the next category up is listed at XXX, they offer it to you for at a rate a bit lower than XXX. Just because it is a lot more than what you paid for it does not make it a bad deal. What you may be willing to pay for a cabin and what others may be willing to pay are completely different.

It’s an offer...nothing more, nothing less. If you don’t like it don’t respond or just decline.

... Last week, I get another call from the upsell fairy. This time, I wasn't home and she left a message offering an upgrade from my family Junior suite to a royal family Suite (A two bedroom grand suite) for $650 total. I called RC back about two hours later, and took them up on their offer. (after quickly conferring on cruise critic to see if this was a smart move/good price.).

Nice to know their system allowed you to call back and you didn't lose the chance to uograde because you weren't at the phone 24/7.