Going Rate for Upsell Fairy?

Does the crown& anchor have any value?

Or are they just trying to hustle a few extra bucks?

Well they are a business so if they have the room open and can upsell it why not? I was free to say no, there was no pressure put on me to accept. It was a great offer for a suite I have never been in & probably wouldn't purchase.

I checked last night & our GS was back on the website. I just checked now & it is sold for more than I paid a year ago. I know this because last night when I clicked the GS room link, there it was. Now when I clicked - sold out. So RC knew what they were doing. I am betting the OS would have traveled empty & they knew they could sell my GS easier. To me that is good business. They made money upgrading/upselling me, not as much as if the actually sold the OS for listed price, & sold my old cabin for a better profit. Win - win.

I’m really not sure why anyone is offended by these e mails or calls or thinks that Royal is trying to gouge them regardless of the price that they are offering.

Royal’s in the business to make money and not offer everyone the deal of a lifetime that they just can’t refuse.

You have a cabin, the next category up is listed at XXX, they offer it to you for at a rate a bit lower than XXX. Just because it is a lot more than what you paid for it does not make it a bad deal. What you may be willing to pay for a cabin and what others may be willing to pay are completely different.

It’s an offer...nothing more, nothing less. If you don’t like it don’t respond or just decline.

I don't think it's offensive in terms of the offering, but I can see how some people might be disillusioned as the old (old!) method was calling people (often based on C&A status) to offer them a free upgrade. Then in the more recent past, people started getting called for upsells costing a couple few hundred dollars. Now it seems that they are trying to get the most money possible, so the free upgrade perk is essentially dead. It is disappointing for sure.

We all have to mourn the death of the upgrade fairy in our own way.

I’m really not sure why anyone is offended by these e mails or calls or thinks that Royal is trying to gouge them regardless of the price that they are offering.

Royal’s in the business to make money and not offer everyone the deal of a lifetime that they just can’t refuse.

You have a cabin, the next category up is listed at XXX, they offer it to you for at a rate a bit lower than XXX. Just because it is a lot more than what you paid for it does not make it a bad deal. What you may be willing to pay for a cabin and what others may be willing to pay are completely different.

It’s an offer...nothing more, nothing less. If you don’t like it don’t respond or just decline.

I get that they are running a business, so a cabin filled is more money earned for them. But it was interesting to me to see the various "offers" being made, some for the same cabin category upgrade but for drastically different prices. That's like offering all the various prices for the same category of stateroom that you might see over a normal 2 year booking period, all in one day. Hard to feel ripped off when someone paid less than you a year or 6 months ago, but on the same day? That's just my opinion though.

I get that they are running a business, so a cabin filled is more money earned for them. But it was interesting to me to see the various "offers" being made, some for the same cabin category upgrade but for drastically different prices. That's like offering all the various prices for the same category of stateroom that you might see over a normal 2 year booking period, all in one day. Hard to feel ripped off when someone paid less than you a year or 6 months ago, but on the same day? That's just my opinion though.

I don’t have any proof of this but it sounds like they are basing the upgrade cost on what people initially paid for the cabin.

If the current price of a cabin is $5000 they may be discounting it for an upgrade to $4000. Person A who paid $2000 for their cabin would get an upgrade offer for $2000 while person B who paid $3000 would get an upgrade offer for $1000.

Nice to know their system allowed you to call back and you didn't lose the chance to uograde because you weren't at the phone 24/7.

The voice mail said the upsell offer (my words, not theirs) would be honored if the room was still available when I called back. No promise to hold for x number of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t have any proof of this but it sounds like they are basing the upgrade cost on what people initially paid for the cabin.

If the current price of a cabin is $5000 they may be discounting it for an upgrade to $4000. Person A who paid $2000 for their cabin would get an upgrade offer for $2000 while person B who paid $3000 would get an upgrade offer for $1000.

I wouldn't be surprised. I got a very good original price on my cabin and one of the higher-priced upgrade offers.

However, I don't think this is necessarily 'fair' as this is supposed to be a loyalty benefit and based on several factors. In their description, it states 'stateroom category paid' rather than net amount paid: "If available, upgrades may be offered at the sole discretion of Royal Caribbean to Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club. To determine which members may be extended an upgrade, we will consider the member’s Cruise Points and tier level, stateroom category paid and booking date."

Although I am a low level D+, I booked a JS over two years ago so my $1000 offer to upgrade did not interest me.

What gets me is that they ARE upgrading guaranteed bookings. Like the old days, the airlines would end up putting stand by passengers into First class.

Then they figured out that it made more sense to upgrade their loyal customers to First, and put the stand bys in economy.

Royal needs to figure this out. It is not rocket science.

1) Try to see the upgrades. Offer at some rate, then reduce the rates the closer you get. People who purchase are happy.

2) Upgrade loyal members or people who paid the most for their cabin. People are happy.

3) Put the guarantees into the class they booked. People get what they expected.

Well we are booked in an Oceanview balcony in the Oasis. We received an email asking us if we were interested in being out on the wait list for a JS. The price was $450. Originally, the price of a JS was about $1200 more than the OVB we booked so I’m hoping to get the call.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think it's offensive in terms of the offering, but I can see how some people might be disillusioned as the old (old!) method was calling people (often based on C&A status) to offer them a free upgrade. Then in the more recent past, people started getting called for upsells costing a couple few hundred dollars. Now it seems that they are trying to get the most money possible, so the free upgrade perk is essentially dead. It is disappointing for sure.

We all have to mourn the death of the upgrade fairy in our own way.

OP seems to be insulted by the offer and was threatening to NOT spend money onboard just because of this offer.

OP...ignore the upsell offer. They want to make more money (which is their fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders). You don't want to spend what they are asking. Just say no. Enjoy your cruise!

We are currently in a promenade room in a location that we wanted. I would not like to be placed with upgrade in a location that we would not have chosen. Will Royal tell you the exact room that you would be moving too? We received the following e-mail.

We’re excited to welcome you onboard soon! As your sailing approaches, there may be an opportunity to upgrade your stateroom for the below price. Secure your position on the waitlist and take advantage of this limited offer. If an upgrade becomes available, we will call you to process the upgrade.*

POTENTIAL UPGRADE:

Ocean View UPGRADE PRICE:$ 100

We are currently in a promenade room in a location that we wanted. I would not like to be placed with upgrade in a location that we would not have chosen. Will Royal tell you the exact room that you would be moving too? We received the following e-mail.

We’re excited to welcome you onboard soon! As your sailing approaches, there may be an opportunity to upgrade your stateroom for the below price. Secure your position on the waitlist and take advantage of this limited offer. If an upgrade becomes available, we will call you to process the upgrade.*

POTENTIAL UPGRADE:

Ocean View UPGRADE PRICE:$ 100

They will call and you will have the option to take the deal or not. You'd have to ask them at the time for a location.

So I got an email from RCCL stating that I could be put on a wait list for an upgrade to a Junior Suite from an Obstructed Balcony for a 9 night on the Anthem at end of May (me my husband, and my 1 yr old son). They want to charge $1300 which to me is the cost of another cruise so is not appealing to me. However, I joined the wait list as I felt it couldn’t hurt and I could just say no if they called.

But it made me question, is the upgrade a take it or leave it thing? Or can I get them to negotiate a price? What would be a good price for that level of upgrade? Was joining the list a bad idea and will it possibly take me out of the running for a free upgrade? I have never cruised RCCL so do not know their tactics!

On the same sailing. We originally booked in an obstructed balcony. Upgraded to a JS during the end of KSF promotion for 4 of us for $1,500 total. $1,300 seems like a lot, but current "retail" price difference is about $2,500 for 3.

Considering there are 20 or so full suites still available for our sailing, I'm hoping I get an upsell call into one of those. Not holding my breath, but I'd probably jump on a fair offer!

On the same sailing. We originally booked in an obstructed balcony. Upgraded to a JS during the end of KSF promotion for 4 of us for $1,500 total. $1,300 seems like a lot, but current "retail" price difference is about $2,500 for 3.

Considering there are 20 or so full suites still available for our sailing, I'm hoping I get an upsell call into one of those. Not holding my breath, but I'd probably jump on a fair offer!

I'm trying to familarize myself with the name of all their sales. What is the KSF sale and is the current one called BOGO50? When are the typical sales.

(I do understand how the "sales" work and hoping I can take advantage of one before the Nov 4 final payment date.)

I'm trying to familarize myself with the name of all their sales. What is the KSF sale and is the current one called BOGO50? When are the typical sales.

(I do understand how the "sales" work and hoping I can take advantage of one before the Nov 4 final payment date.)

KSF = Kids Sail Free.

There's no "typical" with RC, sales come and go all the time.

Ok- so I really think DH and I were the most scr*wed with the offer we got... just checked and it was exactly $1950 to upgrade our large, hump balcony on Radiance, to Alaska, mid June. What a deal?

Upgrade to what category?