Live on the Westerdam - Pacific Coastal

Crew News

Day 04 started with heavy overcast skies and rain not to mention the strong winds.

When I checked my account last night, I noticed that my excursion was raised 10% which was charged to my account. Of course I was not notified for some reason with the option to opt-our. Confronting the EXC folks with a paper copy of my PAID online purchase, I was told that the higher charge was because I required a special ramped bus for boarding. Really?? When asked why I was not given the option to cancel, I was told that their change was made in the 24-hour window before the cruise and not eligible for cancellation with a refund. With that logic, they could have raised my excursion several hundred dollars and I would have to pay, I tried to explain only to be met with a blank stare. The EXC folks agreed to correct my account to the previously paid amount. The adjustment was made to my account. As noted in a previous post, excursions were cancelled and I received a credit to my account.

I had the crab legs for dinner in the Pinnacle Grill. I noted that tablets were used to take orders now. FWIW the Manager was named Peter for those who follow PG Managers.

Some additional notes: The only signage in the LIdo Market is to mark where to find drinks. The signs for he different stations as well as menu boards are no longer present. I received only one piece of paper, other than official information, in my mail box. The internet speed around Victoria is very slow. I have photographed all of the bar menus and will post them until I can scan the menus in May.

Tomorrow is expedited disembarkation in Vancouver and a flight home at 11:23 AM I will report on the value of my Global Entry and TSA PreCheck experience.

More later.

Edited by Crew News

This is the first that I have heard that HAL is now charging an extra 10% for a special ramped bus. This must be something new.

I requested a special ramp bus when we did Buchart Gardens a couple of years ago. Got the special bus but no extra charge.

Have a safe flight home.

I don't think they would get away with it in the US due to the ADA; but in Canada all bets are off.

Expedited disembarkation was quite easy once I found the roped/stanchion line leading to the gangway. Even arriving at 7:15 AM, I found most of the passengers ahead of me were scheduled to disembark at 8:00 AM. At 7:35 AM, everyone in line was allowed to disembark.

I was the third passenger choosing a taxi at 7:45 AM for my trip to the airport. The driver told me that he could not make any pickups from the airport but had to return to the cruise terminal empty for his passengers that day. Taxis dropping passengers from the airport were not allowed to pick up from the cruise terminal. Strange laws.

After dropping off my one bag at the Delta Check-in, I entered the Security Zone and noticed hundreds of folks in snaking rows before I spotted the Global Entry line with only eight people. I smiled.

Your Global Entry card must be carried and shown several times during processing. Even though I have TSA PreCheck, it did not apply in Canada so laptops and belts had to be removed. The next step was negotiating the kiosks where your fingerprints and passport are scanned. It took me five attempts to have my fingers perfectly aligned for scanning. With my printed Immigration photo paper in hand, I processed quickly through IS Immigration and noticed a huge sign welcoming me to the United States.

After what seemed like a half marathon walk, I was seated at my Delta gate at 8:45 AM for my 11:25 AM flight to Seattle. Prior to boarding, I heard an announcement that passports would need to be checked again during the boarding process. My flight was delayed about 20 minutes which I learned was typical.

My long day ended as I parked in my driveway in Albuquerque at 11:00 PM.

I unpacked, completed my post-cruise survey, and ordered my replacement scanner before bedtime.

My photo review requires me to convert my images from RAW to jpg files for uploading to the internet and I hope to have that completed by next week. Lots of scanning to be done when my scanner arrives next Friday.

Thanks for following this thread.

Thank you for all your reporting, I’m just sad I won’t see pics before we leave in two weeks! I have a quick question about the following...

With my printed Immigration photo paper in hand, I processed quickly through IS Immigration

We also have global entry cards, etc. it’s been a very long time since I re-entered from Canada, pre global entry. Is this “printing immigration paper” something I should have before we go? Thank you again for all your wonderful info. Can wait to board the westerdam, counting down the days

Thank you for all your reporting, I’m just sad I won’t see pics before we leave in two weeks! I have a quick question about the following...

With my printed Immigration photo paper in hand, I processed quickly through IS Immigration

We also have global entry cards, etc. it’s been a very long time since I re-entered from Canada, pre global entry. Is this “printing immigration paper” something I should have before we go? Thank you again for all your wonderful info. Can wait to board the westerdam, counting down the days��������

The printed immigration paper for reentry into the USA comes out of the kiosk where you insert your passport and place your fingers on the fingerprint scanner in the terminal. You cannot visit the kiosk until you have passed through the carry-on baggage screening process.

I will do my best to get the images up within the next few days.

Thanks for all the information Roger! I will keep an eye on your blog site and we will see you next month. :cool:

I will have the new bar menus, lesser quality since they are not scanned, Canaletto menu, Shops liquor prices, and ship images up before our cruise. I will also be posting the HAL 18-day Hawaii menus (MDR and Lido Market lunches, dinners, and late snacks).

Unfortunately, the HAL 2018 Alaska menus have yet to be released, so I will not have them before we board.

Although most of my "news" appears irrelevant, many emails requesting such "news" prompted what information that I reported. Hopefully, those on our Alaska roll call can glean some info applicable to them.

I will have the new bar menus, lesser quality since they are not scanned, Canaletto menu, Shops liquor prices, and ship images up before our cruise. I will also be posting the HAL 18-day Hawaii menus (MDR and Lido Market lunches, dinners, and late snacks).

Unfortunately, the HAL 2018 Alaska menus have yet to be released, so I will not have them before we board.

Although most of my "news" appears irrelevant, many emails requesting such "news" prompted what information that I reported. Hopefully, those on our Alaska roll call can glean some info applicable to them.

On the contrary, your "news" is very relevant and extremely helpful. Many cruisers are seeking just the kind of information that you so kindly take the time to provide. Thank you so much for your painstaking research. I'm amazed at the information you are able to retrieve. I await the Hawai'i menus with anticipation.

I will be on the June 17th 7 night sailing on MS Amsterdam. If you would like me to take pictures of menus...or scan and email to you... for your website, let me know:D

We have a bar in town that serves Alaskan Amber. It is good!

Keep in mind that the Westerdam was the sole ship in port yesterday.

When there are 3 ships at Canada Place, swift passage thru the terminal is not to be expected.....especially if your ship is the last to clear customs.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here before, but we did not go thru Canadian CBP yesterday. Our Arrival Forms were collected at the Guest Services desk on Monday. After collecting my bag I went straight out to the street and 4 blocks to Waterfront Station and the Canada Line. I was at the airport at 10:30 am......and was Red 2.

David

Great, I am really looking forward to this!

Will you post the menus here or on your website rogerjett-photography.com? :)

It's great that you are onboard quite often and provide essential information to us!

When you are on Zuiderdam next time, recent photos from her after her dry dock are also highly appreciated. :cool:

Here is a link to the only Specialty Restaurant menu that has changed:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Canaletto.pdf

I have added the Gallery and Ocean Bar Menus and will be adding the Pool Bar menus as soon as I can convert them for posting.

Thank you for your information, including the Canaletto menu!

I am very keen to see the complimentary food menus from MDR and Lido!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Expedited disembarkation was quite easy once I found the roped/stanchion line leading to the gangway. Even arriving at 7:15 AM, I found most of the passengers ahead of me were scheduled to disembark at 8:00 AM. At 7:35 AM, everyone in line was allowed to disembark.

I was the third passenger choosing a taxi at 7:45 AM for my trip to the airport. The driver told me that he could not make any pickups from the airport but had to return to the cruise terminal empty for his passengers that day. Taxis dropping passengers from the airport were not allowed to pick up from the cruise terminal. Strange laws.

After dropping off my one bag at the Delta Check-in, I entered the Security Zone and noticed hundreds of folks in snaking rows before I spotted the Global Entry line with only eight people. I smiled.

Your Global Entry card must be carried and shown several times during processing. Even though I have TSA PreCheck, it did not apply in Canada so laptops and belts had to be removed. The next step was negotiating the kiosks where your fingerprints and passport are scanned. It took me five attempts to have my fingers perfectly aligned for scanning. With my printed Immigration photo paper in hand, I processed quickly through IS Immigration and noticed a huge sign welcoming me to the United States.

After what seemed like a half marathon walk, I was seated at my Delta gate at 8:45 AM for my 11:25 AM flight to Seattle. Prior to boarding, I heard an announcement that passports would need to be checked again during the boarding process. My flight was delayed about 20 minutes which I learned was typical.

My long day ended as I parked in my driveway in Albuquerque at 11:00 PM.

I unpacked, completed my post-cruise survey, and ordered my replacement scanner before bedtime.

My photo review requires me to convert my images from RAW to jpg files for uploading to the internet and I hope to have that completed by next week. Lots of scanning to be done when my scanner arrives next Friday.

Thanks for following this thread.

This is why we use the bus to Seattle after a coastal. If it works for you, it is much simpler and calmer. Or spend a day in Vancouver and take the train. Obviously we spend a night or two in Seattle.