Live on the Westerdam - Pacific Coastal

Crew News

Hoping our NW weather settles down for your arrival. Heavy winds and rain in the forecast this week.

Hoping to see the "new" Westerdam soon. Thanks for taking us along!

Best regards to Joanie!

We have felt the winds all the way from San Diego.

Day 03 began with partly cloudy skies and seas beginning to roll the ship from side to side.

With the condition of the seas, the Lido Market Breakfast had table available as many stayed in their staterooms.

The Kitchen Tour was attended by four groups of 20 passengers in each group. All passengers were required to complete health certificates before the tour. Examples of sculpted pastries and sweets were on display as well as the huge steaks available in the Pinnacle Grill.

Lunch in the Lido Market was a large salad and I did see the smaller bowls had slanted rims. At my large community table, the lunch conversation showed some concern that they brought gowns and tuxedos because their Express Docs noted a Gala Night. Passengers were also reporting that whales were spotted from the Crow’s Nest.

The new 2.5-hour Star Wars movie in the Mainstage put me to sleep after I finished my bags of popcorn. Keeping track of the many subplots was brain taxing.

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS:

The water pressure in the bathroom is excellent and the hot water arrives quickly. The new balcony furniture as hooks used to secure the cushions from blowing away. Each cushion has corresponding loops for attachment. Even close to the US mainland, live news reception on the flat screen TV is often spotty. Upgraded curtain definitely block the morning sunlight when they are tightly closed.

Temperatures in the Mainstage and Lido Market seemed to be quite chilly causing many to wear sweaters/jackets. The Lido Market steam tables have not been replaced by the induction plates found on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Menu boards are no longer present in the Lido Market. A small sign on the Dessert Station counter replaced the wall sign showing the current flavors available. All gluten-free items are located in the Lido Market Pasta Station.

My dinner, perfectly-cooked lamb chops, was a bit slower this evening. Laundry took 12 hours today. Internet speed remains good except during MDR meal times.

SHIP’S SENIOR STAFF:Captain: Mark Rowden

• Cruise Director: Keri Noble
  • Hotel Manager: Colin Jacob
  • Culinary Operations Officer: Eugene Moore
  • Lido Manager: Ida Widiartana
  • Beverage Manager: J.J. Jorissen
  • Executive Chef: Bitta Kuravilla
  • Dining Room Manager: Indra Bangsawan
  • Guest Services: Andreea P Rus.
  • Mariner Society: Khim Cruzado

My Five-Star pin was on my bed when I returned from the movie.

Tomorrow is Victoria BC and a visit to Butchart Gardens in the rain.

More later.

Correction: I gave the wrong answer in response to a question about the former movie theater.

In fact, the former location of the movie theater is now occupied by the Digital Workshop that was moved from its location near the MDR.

If the passengers in 6037 would be kind enough to let you take a photo, that would be wonderful...haha, kidding. I'm sorry if I missed it but curious what kind of cabin you have? We will have a balcony in June. Our first cruise! I'm just a TAD excited. Thank you so much for all of this info.

If the passengers in 6037 would be kind enough to let you take a photo, that would be wonderful...haha, kidding. I'm sorry if I missed it but curious what kind of cabin you have? We will have a balcony in June. Our first cruise! I'm just a TAD excited. Thank you so much for all of this info.

Here is a picture of 6044, which is the same category, but on the Port side

Enjoy your first cruise! Hopefully you will get hooked. :)

910371910_Westerdam6044.jpg.205f8a1003f5c7f2b324fed3f7a1faf8.jpg

Day 03 began with partly cloudy skies and seas beginning to roll the ship from side to side.

With the condition of the seas, the Lido Market Breakfast had table available as many stayed in their staterooms.

The Kitchen Tour was attended by four groups of 20 passengers in each group. All passengers were required to complete health certificates before the tour. Examples of sculpted pastries and sweets were on display as well as the huge steaks available in the Pinnacle Grill.

Lunch in the Lido Market was a large salad and I did see the smaller bowls had slanted rims. At my large community table, the lunch conversation showed some concern that they brought gowns and tuxedos because their Express Docs noted a Gala Night. Passengers were also reporting that whales were spotted from the Crow’s Nest.

The new 2.5-hour Star Wars movie in the Mainstage put me to sleep after I finished my bags of popcorn. Keeping track of the many subplots was brain taxing.

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS:

The water pressure in the bathroom is excellent and the hot water arrives quickly. The new balcony furniture as hooks used to secure the cushions from blowing away. Each cushion has corresponding loops for attachment. Even close to the US mainland, live news reception on the flat screen TV is often spotty. Upgraded curtain definitely block the morning sunlight when they are tightly closed.

Temperatures in the Mainstage and Lido Market seemed to be quite chilly causing many to wear sweaters/jackets. The Lido Market steam tables have not been replaced by the induction plates found on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Menu boards are no longer present in the Lido Market. A small sign on the Dessert Station counter replaced the wall sign showing the current flavors available. All gluten-free items are located in the Lido Market Pasta Station.

My dinner, perfectly-cooked lamb chops, was a bit slower this evening. Laundry took 12 hours today. Internet speed remains good except during MDR meal times.

SHIP’S SENIOR STAFF:Captain: Mark Rowden

• Cruise Director: Keri Noble
  • Hotel Manager: Colin Jacob
  • Culinary Operations Officer: Eugene Moore
  • Lido Manager: Ida Widiartana
  • Beverage Manager: J.J. Jorissen
  • Executive Chef: Bitta Kuravilla
  • Dining Room Manager: Indra Bangsawan
  • Guest Services: Andreea P Rus.
  • Mariner Society: Khim Cruzado

My Five-Star pin was on my bed when I returned from the movie.

Tomorrow is Victoria BC and a visit to Butchart Gardens in the rain.

More later.

Thanks Roger!

Eugene is a GREAT Culinart Ops Officer! He was acting HD when we were on Oosterdam.

I am in SS 6069.

The Front desk person last night told me that every passenger is provided a list of Senior Staff when they board the ship and I must have misplaced my copy. When I asked for another, I was told that no longer were able to print a list. Truth or lie to get rid of me? I addressed this on my Comment Card, too.

Did you find anyone who got a Staff list when boarding ? We have never gotten one. Having to ask at the desk is a nuisance, and getting the names on the Cruise Log at the end doesn't help while you are onboard. For comparison, we discovered the NCL Pride of America has a big picture board of all the senior and middle officers - and even their Maritime Licences.

0129_1141_B75796.jpg.36dd7a452d413d5f5c360f38e3bd475d.jpg

Did you find anyone who got a Staff list when boarding ? We have never gotten one. Having to ask at the desk is a nuisance' date=' and getting the names on the Cruise Log at the end doesn't help while you are onboard. For comparison, we discovered the NCL Pride of America has a big picture board of all the senior and middle officers - and even their Maritime Licences.[/quote']

HAL used to have an interactive display with ship information that included info on the ship's senor staff. The drydock removed the displays and the onboard internet "Navigator" does not provide this information.

I asked about 20 passengers who boarded in both Ft Lauderdale and San Diego about receiving such a list before submitting my concerns on a Comment Card to the Front Desk. I know that the ship's senior staff reads the cards during staff meetings so something will happen.

The ship is unable to dock in Victoria due to high winds and no tugboats available. The Captain has announced that winds should abate in a few hours to allow docking and let 150 Canadians off the ship to go home. No word on delayed shore excursions.

The ship is unable to dock in Victoria due to high winds and no tugboats available. The Captain has announced that winds should abate in a few hours to allow docking and let 150 Canadians off the ship to go home. No word on delayed shore excursions.

We are across from Victoria south of Port Angeles and wind is howling here. You can probably see Port Angeles from the other side of the ship/ Supposed to be settling down by 3pm here

Thanks for the update Crew News. We were watching her sail into Victoria and now see her well out on the horizon so we weren't sure if she is waiting it out for a while or heading elsewhere. As you know, the wind is strong right now in Victoria and the waves are crashing at the breakwater next to the dock.

Do ships coming into Victoria normally need a tugboat or is it something that is done when there are high winds and a need to stabilize the boat a little more?

Sorry Victoria couldn't give you a better welcome today! Your are first docking of the season and we were looking forward to seeing the ship here. Hope you aren't getting too much rocking and rolling onboard right now.

Hope you can do your Buchart Gardens excursion.

Thanks for the update Crew News. We were watching her sail into Victoria and now see her well out on the horizon so we weren't sure if she is waiting it out for a while or heading elsewhere. As you know, the wind is strong right now in Victoria and the waves are crashing at the breakwater next to the dock.

Do ships coming into Victoria normally need a tugboat or is it something that is done when there are high winds and a need to stabilize the boat a little more?

Sorry Victoria couldn't give you a better welcome today! Your are first docking of the season and we were looking forward to seeing the ship here. Hope you aren't getting too much rocking and rolling onboard right now.

Ogden Point has very high winds at times. Tug boats aren't used normally. A tight port with little leeway in the winds, so cancellations happen once in a while.

The Westerdam is doing 7 knots off Esquaimalt right now 2:35 pm local time, so maybe still will try to get in. They have the time to stay in Victoria till midnight.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Definitely rocking and rolling. I think Chuck Berry boarded in San Diego.

Many thanks for the updates. We are continuing to watch the ship on the horizon sailing around in what looks to be a big circle waiting it out. We were just out for a walk and the wind along the waterfront at 2:30 was incredible but by 3:00 it was calmer so we hope it is all starting to settle down!

Did I gather that despite being planned there was no gala night on the cruise up from SD. I ask as we have the same cruise next montg and it says 1 gala night.

We live close to Victoria and certainly a very windy day for us. I think it is diminishing.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app

Hoping our NW weather settles down for your arrival. Heavy winds and rain in the forecast this week.

Hoping to see the "new" Westerdam soon. Thanks for taking us along!

Best regards to Joanie!

Joanie says Hi back at ya:)

I'm following along like everyone else:)

Joanie

Did I gather that despite being planned there was no gala night on the cruise up from SD. I ask as we have the same cruise next montg and it says 1 gala night.

We live close to Victoria and certainly a very windy day for us. I think it is diminishing.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app

Indeed no Gala Night