Forgot to make final payment. And nothing happened.

ldlewis45

So, final payment for my August Bermuda cruise was on the 7th. I initially forgot to pay it and then decided that it getting cancelled wasn't a bad thing, having just transferred to a new work location and am not sure I want to spend that much on a vacation right after having to spend quite a bit on moving. I was assuming that it would automatically cancel, since that's how the cancellation schedule reads. Nothing seems to have happened, though, as I can still log into it on my cruise manager and it's still showing as an active booking. I find it ironic that any other time, my PVP would be calling me the same day I go on the site, but not when I fail to make final payment.

What are you planning to do? Wait and see what happens?

If you do nothing, your reservation will get cancelled pretty quickly. In principle, they can hang on to it and let the cancellation penalties add up, but it would be a lot of trouble for them to come after you for more money (at most I think they could blacklist you from future NCL cruises until you pay up). I'm sure they'd rather free up your cabin so they can sell it to someone else who actually wants to sail.

Basically, I let it sit there for a couple of reasons. One being that I just moved and was swamped with other stuff, and every time I remembered to call, the call center was closed and I couldn't talk to someone to cancel it. Two, I figured a few days to see what happened wouldn't hurt anything, since the next bump to a bigger penalty was at 90 days.

I called in this morning and cancelled formally. Basically, since I had only applied the cruise certificate as the deposit, I just forfeited that amount. And I was okay with losing it, since I probably wasn't going to be able to use it before it expired. I haven't cruised with NCL for 4 years, and I've already had one certificate expire.

I have no idea what a PVP is. NCL does not have those, they have PCCs. NCL most times leaves a few days leeway to make the final payment. The cruise USUALLY does not automatically cancel immediately the day after final payment.

PVP = PCC = the irritating woman who goes through spurts of calling me every single day or even multiple times per day. Usually, anyway. Wonder if she no longer works for NCL, since she hasn't called me in a couple of weeks. Whatever, you know who I meant, lol.

PVP - personal vacation planner

PCC - personal cruise consultant

I've had the same PCC for 7 years... never found him annoying. Just lucky I guess. ;p

I've never talked to mine in person. I'm the type of person, though, that finds it highly irritating to receive unsolicited contact from businesses. I prefer to research the stuff and do my bookings myself, and only talk to a person if I've run into a snag or have something more complicated to do, so I find it very irritating to receive daily calls from cruise lines. At least Carnival only calls after I visit the site, NCL goes through spurts where I get at least one call a day. I'm assuming it's when they've been given a sales quota, since I usually haven't visited the site.

PVP = PCC = the irritating woman who goes through spurts of calling me every single day or even multiple times per day. Usually, anyway. Wonder if she no longer works for NCL, since she hasn't called me in a couple of weeks. Whatever, you know who I meant, lol.

Interesting, I could never get my PCC to call me back even when I left them a message. Oh, well.

Basically, I let it sit there for a couple of reasons. One being that I just moved and was swamped with other stuff, and every time I remembered to call, the call center was closed and I couldn't talk to someone to cancel it. Two, I figured a few days to see what happened wouldn't hurt anything, since the next bump to a bigger penalty was at 90 days.

I called in this morning and cancelled formally. Basically, since I had only applied the cruise certificate as the deposit, I just forfeited that amount. And I was okay with losing it, since I probably wasn't going to be able to use it before it expired. I haven't cruised with NCL for 4 years, and I've already had one certificate expire.

For future reference you could have sold the Cruise Next certificates because they are transferable. That way you wouldn't have been out the money.

For future reference you could have sold the Cruise Next certificates because they are transferable. That way you wouldn't have been out the money.

I had every intention of using them, and actually got an extension on the first one, but something always came up to where I had to cancel the cruise, unfortunately. By the time I cancelled the last cruise it was applied to, it was already past the original expiration date.

What are the attributes of the Norwegian Cruise next certificate? What are its pros and cons? Why is it a good deal?

Basically, it's valued at $250. Technically, you're only paying $150 for it, since you get a $100 onboard credit for each one you get when you buy one on the ship. It goes on your account and you can apply it towards a new cruise. Downside is that it has to be used within 4 years and isn't refunded if you don't use it.

You have to call in to get the Cruise Next certificate transfrerred do you not? If it was exprired/expring they would probably not transfer it?

You do know that you can call NCL till 9 pm EST ?

You do know that you can call NCL till 9 pm EST ?

Which doesn't help when I live in AZ and work until noon-8 PM, and am not supposed to be making personal calls at work. I remembered the day it was due, but not until after they'd closed.

You forfeited $250 AND you let another Cruise certificate expire??

I'm surely not buying one on my next Norwegian cruise

Edited by drsel

You forfeited $250 AND you let another Cruise certificate expire??

I'm surely not buying one on my next Norwegian cruise

They're a fairly safe bet for most people. My situation was unusual just because I've had to cancel due to getting transferred to new states three times in 5 years and having to have surgery a couple of times. Kind of puts a damper on having vacation plans, lol.

Which doesn't help when I live in AZ and work until noon-8 PM, and am not supposed to be making personal calls at work. I remembered the day it was due, but not until after they'd closed.

My Norwegian PCC actually lives and works out of a call center in AZ. She only calls me when I leave her a message to do so.

My Norwegian PCC actually lives and works out of a call center in AZ. She only calls me when I leave her a message to do so.

I wish mine did that. Mine has literally called me 5 times in the last 3 days. I go out of my way not to even speak with her or use her service, since she bugs me so much.