Elite mini bar set up

sailco

Hi Lew,

How was your experience on the Royal last fall?

Had not thought of putting it out for the swap. No one has ever taken an item or do you put it out in a bag?

The Royal TA last year was excellent...beautiful weather and calm seas. Nan and I are looking forward to finally meeting you and Cheryl on the Sky next year.

For the swap we just leave the items to be swapped out on the desk or on top of the refrigerator, depending on the cabin configuration. As you're aware, you need to tell room service what you're swapping for each item, so there's no confusion when it takes place. Never had an issue whether we've been present or not.

As mentioned above you can swap for all scotch but it's Dewar's which I find to be undrinkable. I guess it could be mixed with soda but what is the point of scotch that has to be mixed? It's a pet peeve of mine that the only scotch one can get from room service for in-room consumption is either Dewar's or Johnnie Walker Red - both of which are terrible.

Yes, I agree. The only way I can drink Johnny Red or Dewars is to sip it with an ice cube, something I would never do with a single malt. Too bad they wouldn't provide at least Johnny Black.

The Royal TA last year was excellent...beautiful weather and calm seas. Nan and I are looking forward to finally meeting you and Cheryl on the Sky next year.

For the swap we just leave the items to be swapped out on the desk or on top of the refrigerator, depending on the cabin configuration. As you're aware, you need to tell room service what you're swapping for each item, so there's no confusion when it takes place. Never had an issue whether we've been present or not.

Now I see what you meant by out. We do the same.

Was thinking back after posting. This is a different part of room service and I think they do have room access.

I'm hoping we get on this cruise. Raised it with Cheryl and she has not nixed it. She doesn't like heat with humidity so I hope she thinks like Frank and will bundle up. We have all our energy out getting the family on an Alaskan cruise this June. After that we have a 60 night in the Pacific. Are you thinking of doing the Royal when it is sailing out of LA several times in April/May,2019?

Don't wait till after. Call first thing when you get to your room. You need to be there when they come so make sure you know how long it will take. Most I have waited is 45 minutes in early afternoon. Can't tell you how many elites were on board though.

My experience has been..........You do not not need to be there and you do not need to call right away.....

The only benefit I can see by calling immediately, is if you want coffee cards..otherwise why waste your time being on hold....sometimes I have been told they will make the change the next day, because they are so busy.....so why bother....

On my Ruby Mar, 31st sailing I called 2 nights before disembarkation.....was not there when they delivered my exchange of drinks.

On Emerald, Nov. 26th 2017...called 11pm the day b4 disembarkation..was not there when they brought 2 coffee cards, and might I add that unfortunately, the ship and voyage # were written on them.

Both times had the PDP, so exchange was no necessary right away.

I have made partial changes as well, in the middle of a cruise......never have had problems about not being in the cabin.

Oops..just saw all the responses to this now.....maybe I should skim the whole thread b4 psoting.....lol

Hey, Rabbit what happened to BUGS?

Edited by land lover

On the Emerald in Dec, we were offered $40 towards a bottle of wine.

We usually change our alcohol for cognac...and our cruise on Ruby(Mar.31st) week coffee cards did have the Dec. 2018 expire date. We had the PDP and decided to keep the liquor..gave away the cokes/water and took the mini bottles of cognac home with us.....

We were on the Emerald all of March, the ship seemed very low on wine. I called Room Service and asked to switch our mini bar set up for the one red wine they had on the menu that I liked and it was not available. I asked for a credit instead and they would not give it to me. They tried to get me to accept coffee cards, which we did the first half of the cruise - and since they now have expiration dates, I did not want more coffee cards. In the end they offered a slightly more expensive bottle of wine that was not on the room service menu. I would have been happy with what you received.

Are you thinking of doing the Royal when it is sailing out of LA several times in April/May,2019?
I wish we were sailing on the Royal in 2019. With 235 sailing days on her, she's our favorite ship!

In 2019 we're starting off with 15 days of coastals on the Ruby, then after three weeks in Hawaii, 28 days around the South Pacific on the Star.

Hey, Rabbit what happened to BUGS?

This avatar is part of a picture on an anniversary card Cheryl gave me. Hard to see, but it is two rabbits up next to each other looking at the moon. I'll put bugs back up in a month or so. FYI, when I was very little (had to be a long long time ago as I was taller than my kindergarten teacher) if mom (now 93 and drives) didn't wake me for Porky Pig and Bugs Bunny, I got real mad according to her.

For those that have not come across some of TheRabbit posts before, you have to look at my email (see signature). There is a big hint there as to what is going on! LOL Here is another hint if you haven't seen some of the posts from others, I am Dutch. My family came from Holland in the 20s and 40s.

I wish we were sailing on the Royal in 2019. With 235 sailing days on her, she's our favorite ship!

In 2019 we're starting off with 15 days of coastals on the Ruby, then after three weeks in Hawaii, 28 days around the South Pacific on the Star.

Cool, we split cruising with a lot of trips in California and near by states. Have yet to see all the National parks in our state and hope to change that this June when we visit Lassen on the way back from Seattle and a Alaskan Cruise. We primarily cruise itineraries to places we have yet to visit and repeat some with friends and family.

Cool, we split cruising with a lot of trips in California and near by states. Have yet to see all the National parks in our state and hope to change that this June when we visit Lassen on the way back from Seattle and a Alaskan Cruise. We primarily cruise itineraries to places we have yet to visit and repeat some with friends and family.

My wife is "collecting" US National Parks. She has 28 of them at the moment. I believe there are 59. Cruising helps as we picked up American Samoa last October and just got Virgin Islands in March. She got a few last summer when we took a 7 week camping trip through Canada and up into Alaska. We actually met a couple on Pago Pago when we were in the visitor's center for the American Samoa national park who were having their picture taken with the ranger and holding up a sign that said 59/59. To get the two way up in 'Nowhere Alaska' they had booked a small plane as that's the only way one can even get to those two. Wow. I don't think we will manage those but my wife is having a great time working on the list. I think we will likely get 3 more (plus revisit Grand Canyon) on our summer camping trip this year. It's a tough job but someone has to do it. :D

My wife is "collecting" US National Parks. She has 28 of them at the moment. I believe there are 59. Cruising helps as we picked up American Samoa last October and just got Virgin Islands in March. She got a few last summer when we took a 7 week camping trip through Canada and up into Alaska. We actually met a couple on Pago Pago when we were in the visitor's center for the American Samoa national park who were having their picture taken with the ranger and holding up a sign that said 59/59. To get the two way up in 'Nowhere Alaska' they had booked a small plane as that's the only way one can even get to those two. Wow. I don't think we will manage those but my wife is having a great time working on the list. I think we will likely get 3 more (plus revisit Grand Canyon) on our summer camping trip this year. It's a tough job but someone has to do it. :D

We don't have a goal to get to every one of them, but we thought it would make sense to at least see more of our state. So many times talking to people on cruises or other travel, they ask us why are we on that trip when there are so many things to see in California. So starting 10 years ago, we have made an effort to see more of the places in our own state. Lassen in the North East corner is one of the last areas neither of us has gone through. This June we will only get a bit of a taste of the area as we need to be back to get the dog. If it peaks our interest, we will go back.

Have you been to the North Rim of the Canyon? Did that a few years ago on the way to a Colorado Rafting trip and fell in Love with it. So much different than the South rim.

In Denali in 1984 we saw 31 bears (mostly Grizzly) on a bus trip in to see the mountain. The next day we saw none. You have to go back to each to catch each Park at the right time, be it colors, waterfalls, animals, light, etc.

As for camping, those days are gone for the wife. Her idea of roughing it now days is a hotel without room service. We all tried to talk her into the rafting trip. Tried to convince her it was a river cruise. They cooked all your meals, gave you a fantastic location to sleep in each night with views that could not be beat, had naturalist trained people on board to point out the natural beauty and historic points, small ship experience, what more could you ask for? :confused:;p She gave up rafting when she fell into the middle of my raft on a trip years ago. Swore she would not get into another raft.

Got me interested in checking our count. We will be at 27 with Lassen this summer. Thought it might be 28 after this fall, but Misty Fjord is only a monument. Could also pick up Lake Clark in the fall, but Cheryl does not do small planes. Florida is no longer on the list of places to go, when she was eaten alive each night in our condo by midges. She took out all the maps and travel guides for Florida and dumped them in the trash at the airport when leaving. No way to get those parks now!:eek: LOL

Also have gone to numerous National Parks in other countries. Something Cheryl looks for when looking at what can be done in each port or land tour.

You can swap the entire mini bar for a bottle of wine. You can also swap items one for one as follows

You receive 8 x 50ml bottles of spirits, can be exchanged for Dos Equis beers or non alcoholic beverage

You receive 6 cans of soda, 2 bottles Perrier (or sometimes club soda), two small bottles plain water. These can all be exchanged. For example you can exchange for all Perrier or all plain water.

You also receive 2 bottles of Dos Equis Beer. These can also be exchanged for non-alcoholic beverage.

Regarding beer believe it is always Dos Equis, but there may be one other brand available.

On our April 1 Regal, we were able to trade the Dos Equis for Budweiser

On our April 1 Regal, we were able to trade the Dos Equis for Budweiser

I trade the 8 booze bottles for 8 bottles of beer.

Depending upon the beer options for swapping, I decide which to select. Those can vary by ship but most common on my cruises have been Dos Equis and Heineken beers...once it was Stella Artois.

• 8 months later...