My First Night is Your Third?

This summer Symphony of the Seas has two embarkation/disembarkation ports, Barcelona and Rome.Can anyone who has ever taken this type of cruise tell me if that changes the atmosphere of the ship? What is this type of cruise called? I've only been on cruises where all passengers embark and disembark on the same day.

How does it work when my first night of the cruise is someone else's third or fourth night?

Thank you :D

We did it in 2012 (and will be doing it again) and we didn't notice anything different

Curious as to how many get off and on at each embarkation port. Day oner is usually a mess with muster drill and most people not knowing where they are going, does this happen every 1st and 3rd day.

Of course it changes the "feel" of any cruise....it's the passengers, not the crew or route, that gives a cruise it's "feel". If you do a B2B on the same ship, the 2nd leg will feel totally different than the 1st leg.

Thank you for the information! How is the Muster Drill done?

New guests getting on have to go through muster, just like always. Those that got on at another port don't have to do it again.

Curious as to how many get off and on at each embarkation port. Day oner is usually a mess with muster drill and most people not knowing where they are going, does this happen every 1st and 3rd day.

1/3 - Rome.

2/3 - Barcelona.

No M&M.

You have your muster drill, and, if you're on the ship, you hear the announcements about the other muster drill, but u don't participate.

Personally, I'd liked very much the concept of interporting -- we embarked in Rome, and the corridors were open, enabling us to leave the carry ons in our room, and roam the empty ship very early.

We got on in Rome and most people who boarded in Barcelona were out seeing the sights. We hooked up with another couple for drinks who also were Rome to Rome that we met on our roll call. I joined both roll calls for Barcelona that overlapped our cruise just for ideas and for sharing excursions.

• 3 weeks later...
1/3 - Rome.

2/3 - Barcelona.

No M&M.

You have your muster drill, and, if you're on the ship, you hear the announcements about the other muster drill, but u don't participate.

Personally, I'd liked very much the concept of interporting -- we embarked in Rome, and the corridors were open, enabling us to leave the carry ons in our room, and roam the empty ship very early.

so we'll be embarking in rome on the symphony..

what is the earliest time we will be able to board the ship?

what time will we be able to go to our stateroom?

i've never done one of these 'interporting' cruises before...a bit daunting actually...

This summer Symphony of the Seas has two embarkation/disembarkation ports, Barcelona and Rome.Can anyone who has ever taken this type of cruise tell me if that changes the atmosphere of the ship? What is this type of cruise called? I've only been on cruises where all passengers embark and disembark on the same day.

How does it work when my first night of the cruise is someone else's third or fourth night?

I've just completed a cruise with the same arrangement on NCL Epic. There, about 3/4 of the passengers embarked from Barcelona; I was in the minority embarking from Rome.

The Barcelona departure had been the first of the season. That did affect the dynamic a little, because a significant share of the Barcelona passengers had sailed B2B on the transatlantic repositioning cruise.

I had arranged my (private) shore excursions in advance, and they all included passengers from both the Barcelona and Rome contingents. In Barcelona, our group included one couple heading to a hotel in Barcelona after the tour, and another boarding at a hotel and heading to the ship, plus those of us returning to the ship.

The only other difference I noticed was that the newsletter (Freestyle Daily on NCL) was keyed to the Barcelona itinerary. On the last day of either itinerary, however, it included port information both for those disembarking and for those returning to the ship.

just thought of another question...

i'm starting and ending in rome. Will i be able to stay later on the ship or will i still have to disembark at the crack of dawn?

and to recap my other questions:

this is for the symphony...

i'm starting and ending in rome. Will i be able to stay later on the ship or will i still have to disembark at the crack of dawn?

and to recap my other questions:

this is for the symphony...

Nothing daunting about it. Easy peasy...

We were there at 10.30, and in 5 min boarded. Only us boarding. We went straight to our room, the attendant was just cleaning it, and asked if we could leave our carry on in the cabin. He motioned to leave it on the balcony. Afterwards, we were free to roam the empty ship. The corridors are open.

It was the best embarkation ever. If given the choice, I'll embark again in Rome when interporting. Pity it is more expensive than embarking in Barcelona....

We were the last the disembark, around 9.45AM.

i'm starting and ending in rome. Will i be able to stay later on the ship or will i still have to disembark at the crack of dawn? ...

Check with Guest Services to see if they are offering a late departure option. Sometimes, for an additional fee, they offer the ability to eat lunch and stay on until the afternoon.

Check with Guest Services to see if they are offering a late departure option. Sometimes, for an additional fee, they offer the ability to eat lunch and stay on until the afternoon.

They are not offering the Stay Awhile option yet on Symphony but hopefully in the next few weeks.....

Interporting is pretty common in Europe on the oasis class ships.

People will get on in Rome and the get off there 7 days later; likewise people get on in Barcelona, do the loop and get off 7 days later.

It works smoothly and the only things you may notice are; calls for the new joiners to attend Muster the day they join; suitcases in the corridors one evening; people walking round looking lost!!!

MSC as a cruiseline do this.. people can get on and off at every port... like a bus!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have done in supporting several times and really enjoy it you don’t have the hustle and bustle of the first day or the last day which always is crazy other than that everything is the same you feel kind of weird getting on in Rome when everyone else is got none in Barcelona on the other hand When most of the shift is running around getting off in Barcelona you’re just relaxing

Costa does this also. We were wondering why very few people were in line in Copenhagen on our Norwegian fjords cruise--then we learned that most of the passengers had gotten onboard two days earlier in Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So otherwise do they track you down if you’re not off by a certain time?

Yes, they will be paging you and will send people to find you.

We did this on Carnival, early 2000's

Western Caribbean, board in either New Orleans or Tampa.

I wish Royal would do it on the Anthem, board in either NJ or PC

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk