Johnny Rip-offs

But that was JR cover price 20 years ago, like Chops was priced at $10 back then. Prices go up. ..

JR has not been on RCL for 20 years. Not sure but maybe Freedom class was the first to have it then it was pushed to the others. The first cover I remember for JR was 5.95 and we did not pay that.

Agree, the best burger around IMO is five guys. And the fries, wow they are great. We ate at JR last week, four of us. Bill was over $46. The onion rings were the only thing I thought was really good.

IMHO no chain has the best burger. Every town I have been in has a local place that has the best burger. Sometimes these local places may not be quite as inviting as a chain but their food is better. :evilsmile:

JR has not been on RCL for 20 years. Not sure but maybe Freedom class was the first to have it then it was pushed to the others. The first cover I remember for JR was 5.95 and we did not pay that.

Voyager, the first ship in the fleet to have a JR, was put into service in 1998. 2018-1998=20 and the charge was zero. But I am repeating myself.

Voyager was the first ship to have JR. it was free at first except for beverages and the lines to get in went on forever. Always packed especially with teens who would sit forever and order everything. Then they added a charge (but C&A members got a coupon for a free visit). Rarely crowded then. Guess they figured people were willing to pay so coupons disappeared and prices have continued to climb.

Have not been on Oasis Class, but I have never seen JR packed even at the original 5.95. Worst thing RCL ever did was take the Sea View Café off of Radiance Class. We were lucky to sail on Jewel just before the dry dock before she had the dry dock where it was removed.

Sea View Cafe was the absolute best ever !!!

<p>

Meanwhile, burgers are free / included up in the Wipe Out Café. I doubt they're anything to write home about, but worth a try for the price! Anyway I'd rather have a Kummelweck or 3 over at the Park Café. Also included in the cruise fare. Just me.
</p><br><p>Wait! Are you saying that the delicious roast beef sandwiches I've been reading about at the Park Cafe are beef on weck??!!!  </p>

Incorrect, Voyager and Explorer as built had JR. I was on both the first month of each their sailings. They did charge JR then as with Chops, the first pay Rest on Royal, then removed the JR charge after. I been on Cruise Critic 20 years(when was AOL's Cruise Critc). Was discussed on here back in Jan 1999 before me/wife sailed. We were like 6th paid sailing of Voyager, 4th of Explorer...

Best hamburger I have ever had with Royal was on Labadee Barefoot Beach, the Suite and Pinnacle area. They actually had a real grill with flames. The hamburger was thick and great!!! Ready to go back.

Yes, Labadee had good Flame cooked burgers. Years ago when Royal ships were smaller they would have a Real Barbecue on board by the pool. Used real Flames and was usually second to last sea day... Would have Burger or 2 for lunch and after I'd go Skeet shoot off the back of Fantail...

I would pay $5.95 or even 7.95, but I can eat there for $10 on land. It's pretty bad if I have to sneak food onto the ship to not get hosed.

Why anyone should pay more for a hamburger is beyond me in the first place. Having said that, You either go or don’t go.

If you’re trying to say this should be free like the pizza or park cafe, hot dog shop etc. then I totally agree with you. Remember to include it in your feedback after the cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

On Oasis May 13-20 and I wouldn’t pay $10 each for a hamburger. I’m apparently not the only one as every time I walked by very few were eating there. The free breakfast was outstanding though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s insane. Although JR was packed at 7.95, so I guess they’re pushing the price envelope until revenue starts to dip.

I liked JR when it was $5.95 per person, but at $12.95 per person I would be willing to give up my seat to someone who is standing in line.

I liked JR when it was $0.00 per person.

It was reliably reported on Cruise Critic that a fee was imposed on JR because it had become the favorite hangout of teenagers who monopolized the place for hours preventing other passengers from enjoying JR.

It was reliably reported on Cruise Critic that a fee was imposed on JR because it had become the favorite hangout of teenagers who monopolized the place for hours preventing other passengers from enjoying JR.

I've seen that mentioned too, however there were years where they had a fee, but also gave out C&A coupons to Gold level and above.that covered the fee. so it was essentially free for many of us for quite a while.

People on CC love to develop their own theories for actions taken by RCI. Those theories eventually morph into "fact". I guess the price of keeping teenagers out of that place keeps increasing.:rolleyes:

We went 4 years ago, the price was $5/pp. It was $20 for the 4 of us to go and that was worth it.

We are sailing again on the Allure, and unless there is a freebie in our suite, we will NOT be paying $60 to have greasy burgers and cheese fries.

The price keeps going up because people pay it. When that stops or the complaints become excessive, that will change.

I liked JR when it was $0.00 per person.

Apparently so did the teenagers, who took over the restaurant and then nobody else could use it. That is the original reason for the cover charge. But if it is now $13, then I will only be there to take pictures.