Johnny Rip-offs

The first time we went to JR was on Voyager back when it was free. Waited in line for almost an hour on a port day. Burgers were just okay, fries tasted of freezer burn and chocolate shake was made with a vanilla mix so wasn’t very “chocolatey” if you really like chocolate. A couple of cruises later, they had started to charge but everyone got a free coupon in their C&A packet so we tried again. While I did enjoy the Oreo sundae and DH said the beer was cheaper, I still preferred food elsewhere on the ship. We started giving our free coupons away. Don’t think I would ever pay $10 pp to consider going back.

Exactly!! I went with DH to a land based JR and ordered a chocolate shake that arrived very pale. When I asked to have more chocolate syrup added a manager was called and argued with me that the amount of chocolate used was the corporate standard. I said that a chocolate shake should be brown and not ecru. He actually lectured me like I was an idiot.

Don't mess with my chocolate !!

We have a JR and Five Guys in the same general area near my house. We go to Five Guys. JR is way overrated. In my opinion, the Bistro Burgers from room service are better and you can order the whole meal from room service, including chips, fries, salads, desserts and whatever else is on the menu for the $7.95 flat fee, and not per person. I'd do room service any day, or go have lunch in the MDR on a sea day. You don't have to stand in a line and wait, have their burger, PLUS the Tutti Salad bar with NO EXTRA FEE. I don't even use the BOGO coupons we get for JR shakes because there's always a line when I want one. I don't get the popularity, but as long as they can get the extra fee from people, it will continue to climb in cost.

Exactly!! I went with DH to a land based JR and ordered a chocolate shake that arrived very pale. When I asked to have more chocolate syrup added a manager was called and argued with me that the amount of chocolate used was the corporate standard. I said that a chocolate shake should be brown and not ecru. He actually lectured me like I was an idiot.

Don't mess with my chocolate !!

Did he know what "ecru" meant?

I dont know what to tell you, we were just on there 2 weeks ago and never charged for a milkshake. Waiter said it was because of the drink package.

Very rarely RCI makes a mistake in your favor....you were that rarity this time. ;)

$12.95 is just obnoxious. That is more then what you would pay per person on a land JR. This venue was reasonable when introduced at $5/pp

But that was JR cover price 20 years ago, like Chops was priced at $10 back then. Prices go up. ..

Just back fro April 8th sailing on the Allure... the ship was every bit as fabulous 4 yrs after our first cruise on it. Windjammer food exceeded our expectations at every meal, and Chops was delightful.

DH has some perverse need to visit Johnny Rockets on every cruise. I don't get it at all, but keep him company. I am delighted to say the most recent cruise has totally cured him of his JR obsession. The cover charge has blown up to $12.95 . Unfortunately, we had coupon for free lunch or that would have stopped us in our tracks. Also had a 2-for-1 milkshake coupon. Total out of pocket cost was just over $5. But I was ticked that we could have used the lunch coupon elsewhere and didn't.

Milkshakes were good. However the other food was just plain awful, and the "dining experience" was grating, to say the least. DH had the burger and fries, neither of which were tasty. I had what I thought was a BLT salad with crispy chicken. Ugh. Lots of yellow lettuce, mushy tomato and not a trace of bacon. Maybe I read the menu wrong, but couldn't even be bothered to check or complain. Onion rings - meh. We skipped dessert in order to escape, figuring we didn't need to ingest extra calories or spend a moment longer in the most annoying environment on board.

Part of the charm, in DH's opinion, has always been the 50's atmosphere. That disappeared in a hurry, when the music played the same opening two lines of "16 Candles" over and over and over and over.... We finally asked our waiter if the music track could be unstuck, and he told us we could do so from the jukebox control at our table. NOT the case, nor did it work from any other table.

So, while I will continue to find happiness in the fact I will never have to visit another Johnny Rockets at sea, I am disappointed for my husband, who really looked forward to those meals. I don't enjoy burger joints at the best of times, and to eat in one on a cruise ship just seems like dumb X 2, but this one was a game changer for us. YAY!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Best hamburger I have ever had with Royal was on Labadee Barefoot Beach, the Suite and Pinnacle area. They actually had a real grill with flames. The hamburger was thick and great!!! Ready to go back.

But that was JR cover price 20 years ago, like Chops was priced at $10 back then. Prices go up. ..

Because some people will pay for anything! Totally overpriced when you can get the same food on the ship FREE! Those of you who pay, great. It's your money. Others of us refuse to pay.

Where you in Star Class? JR milkshake not included on Harmony two weeks ago with DX and in Sky Class.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No. We were in a ocean view balcony and tried to use our Gold bogo shakes, but the waiter said there was no need, since it was included with my refreshment and my wife's deluxe. He even ordered them for us, then went back 5 minutes later and ordered 2 more on our cards for my kids since they only had soda packages. Total of zero cost for shakes. We did not ask for this at all.

I have to agree with many, I do not eat at Johnny Rockets on land, I just consider it a substandard meal, but it costs $8 to get a burger and fries at Johnny Rockets on land, why would I pay 12.95 at sea where free food abounds.

I am very curious to see if this price drops or if Johnny Rockets drops. Sometimes cruise lines like to play the game of raising a price or lowering quality and then saying we are getting rid of the venue because you did not like it.

Just curious, we don’t have JR in the UK, how much would an equivalent meal be in a JR on land? I’m guessing that it’s kinda similar to Burger King? Over here in the UK a double whopper with bacon, fries and a drink is around the £8.95 range and that’s equivalent to $12.50 ish.

It’s an overpriced Big Mac surrounded by 50’s memorabilia. The food never was or is any good. The whole shtick is about the “atmosphere.”

They get the same suckers who go to Margaritaville.

$12.95 is just obnoxious. That is more then what you would pay per person on a land JR. This venue was reasonable when introduced at $5/pp

No, in 1998 when Voyager went into service with the first J.R. in the RCI fleet the charge was ZERO. They started playing around with a charge in 2004 and have not stopped playing around with it since.

It’s an overpriced Big Mac surrounded by 50’s memorabilia. The food never was or is any good. The whole shtick is about the “atmosphere.”

They get the same suckers who go to Margaritaville.

I realize they are looking for nostalgia with JR's on the Boardwalk but wouldn't it be so cool to have an old Woolworth's counter with soda jerks and malts and burgers (real fountain sodas and malts)? I would pay $12 for that.

I realize they are looking for nostalgia with JR's on the Boardwalk but wouldn't it be so cool to have an old Woolworth's counter with soda jerks and malts and burgers (real fountain sodas and malts)? I would pay $12 for that.

Nostalgia for Woolworths would probably go over better on HAL I believe.

Nostalgia for Woolworths would probably go over better on HAL I believe.

I think it would be a cool "back in time" addition to the Boardwalk. I am not old enough to have ever visited a Woolworth's counter, I am only 42, but if nostalgia or a 50's vibe is what they are going for then I think it would be a great idea.

I think it would be a cool "back in time" addition to the Boardwalk. I am not old enough to have ever visited a Woolworth's counter, I am only 42, but if nostalgia or a 50's vibe is what they are going for then I think it would be a great idea.

We had a woolworths with a diner up until the late 80s early 90s in my home town in vermont. Would love to see this on the boardwalk.

That’s insane. Although JR was packed at 7.95, so I guess they’re pushing the price envelope until revenue starts to dip.

Have not been on Oasis Class, but I have never seen JR packed even at the original 5.95. Worst thing RCL ever did was take the Sea View Café off of Radiance Class. We were lucky to sail on Jewel just before the dry dock before she had the dry dock where it was removed.