Johnny Rip-offs

People on CC love to develop their own theories for actions taken by RCI. Those theories eventually morph into "fact". I guess the price of keeping teenagers out of that place keeps increasing.:rolleyes:

Once you've crossed the line into a cover charge, it then becomes a revenue source and then it becomes how much are people willing to pay.

Apparently so did the teenagers, who took over the restaurant and then nobody else could use it. That is the original reason for the cover charge. But if it is now $13, then I will only be there to take pictures.

That was never my experience.

Apparently so did the teenagers, who took over the restaurant and then nobody else could use it. That is the original reason for the cover charge. But if it is now $13, then I will only be there to take pictures.

:') Blaming those dang teenagers has been going on since the beginning of time.

Remember when I was the one being blamed. Some, for good reason. Most, not for a good reason.

You're right about that. I like Johnny Rockets but I'm not going to pay $12.95 when Guy's Burgers is better and free.

Just did a TA on Carnival Horizon, and Guy's Burgers and fries were great, but the ship, entertainment and other food were not as good as RCI Anthem. Would not go back to Carnival just for the burgers.

It’s an overpriced Big Mac surrounded by 50’s memorabilia. The food never was or is any good. The whole shtick is about the “atmosphere.”

They get the same suckers who go to Margaritaville.

Couldn’t agree more. I have been following this thread and for the life of me can’t figure out what the big attraction is. I don’t find the burgers to be any better than an average diner burger. I usually get the egg salad sandwich on land the few times I ate lunch there. The last place I want to eat on a cruise ship is a chain restaurant even if it’s free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That was never my experience.

And I've never been on a ship that sunk, or an airplane that crashed, or in a car accident where someone got hurt. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

And I've never been on a ship that sunk, or an airplane that crashed, or in a car accident where someone got hurt. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Did I say it didn't happen? I said it was never MY experience. And, I don't appreciate being penalized in order to control the actions of someone else.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I've seen that mentioned too, however there were years where they had a fee, but also gave out C&A coupons to Gold level and above.that covered the fee. so it was essentially free for many of us for quite a while.

But you got only one coupon, so other than that one visit for C&A members, there was still a fee charged which cut down on teens camping out constantly.

Did I say it didn't happen? I said it was never MY experience. And, I don't appreciate being penalized in order to control the actions of someone else.

Penalized??? :confused:

Just back fro April 8th sailing on the Allure... the ship was every bit as fabulous 4 yrs after our first cruise on it. Windjammer food exceeded our expectations at every meal, and Chops was delightful.

DH has some perverse need to visit Johnny Rockets on every cruise. I don't get it at all, but keep him company. I am delighted to say the most recent cruise has totally cured him of his JR obsession. The cover charge has blown up to $12.95 . Unfortunately, we had coupon for free lunch or that would have stopped us in our tracks. Also had a 2-for-1 milkshake coupon. Total out of pocket cost was just over $5. But I was ticked that we could have used the lunch coupon elsewhere and didn't.

Milkshakes were good. However the other food was just plain awful, and the "dining experience" was grating, to say the least. DH had the burger and fries, neither of which were tasty. I had what I thought was a BLT salad with crispy chicken. Ugh. Lots of yellow lettuce, mushy tomato and not a trace of bacon. Maybe I read the menu wrong, but couldn't even be bothered to check or complain. Onion rings - meh. We skipped dessert in order to escape, figuring we didn't need to ingest extra calories or spend a moment longer in the most annoying environment on board.

Part of the charm, in DH's opinion, has always been the 50's atmosphere. That disappeared in a hurry, when the music played the same opening two lines of "16 Candles" over and over and over and over.... We finally asked our waiter if the music track could be unstuck, and he told us we could do so from the jukebox control at our table. NOT the case, nor did it work from any other table.

So, while I will continue to find happiness in the fact I will never have to visit another Johnny Rockets at sea, I am disappointed for my husband, who really looked forward to those meals. I don't enjoy burger joints at the best of times, and to eat in one on a cruise ship just seems like dumb X 2, but this one was a game changer for us. YAY!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You state you could have used your free lunch coupon elsewhere? Is this true? I am sailing Harmony in a few weeks and would much prefer Jamies over JR?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Apparently so did the teenagers, who took over the restaurant and then nobody else could use it. That is the original reason for the cover charge.
I didn't believe that story when it was new, and I don't believe it now. It's always been about money.

Never have made it to Johnny Rockets, not even for the free breakfast. Greasy burgers and fries on a cruise is not my thing. I can get those at home.

Won’t pay the cover charge for the burgers and I won’t pay the cover for Sabor now. Too bad, we did like Sabor the only time we tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got off the Symphony this morning.

Reluctantly went to JRs for lunch yesterday at DS14 insistence.

Cover charge was $9.95 each plus tax and gratuity, milkshakes $5 each (note these are NOT refillable so beware of you want more than one).

Our server messed up our check twice (forgetting to discount coupons).

We finally ended up with a check for $58.

When we got back to our cabin, we decided to do a check on our spending, lucky we did as we realised all three checks that she had rung up had been added to our bill- a total of $190!!!

Spent the next hour at guest services sorting it- where we were asked if we were sure that we hadn't eaten with a group of friends!

Worst experience on the ship- for food, experience and customer service. Never again!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

I have a free Boardwalk Balcony lunch at JR's on Allure in October, so I don' have much to lose by going there . In the past I always liked the burgers, fries and pie. I hope it really isn't as bad as everyone has reported.

We went 4 years ago, the price was $5/pp. It was $20 for the 4 of us to go and that was worth it.

We are sailing again on the Allure, and unless there is a freebie in our suite, we will NOT be paying $60 to have greasy burgers and cheese fries.

The price keeps going up because people pay it. When that stops or the complaints become excessive, that will change.

I wouldn't eat cheese fries if they were free.

There is no grill on any RCI ship that I have been on. And the subject here is JRs. I'm done going in circles with you.

What grill?

My last Royal Caribbean cruise was April 2016. I forgot that Royal Caribbean does not have a pool side grill. My last two cruises were on Princess (the last being in May 2018) and Princess has a pool side grill (as does Carnival). I don't remember if the Windjammer offers hot dogs and hamburgers. I'll check it out this December when when I'm on the Oasis OTS.

My last Royal Caribbean cruise was April 2016. I forgot that Royal Caribbean does not have a pool side grill. My last two cruises were on Princess (the last being in May 2018) and Princess has a pool side grill (as does Carnival). I don't remember if the Windjammer offers hot dogs and hamburgers. I'll check it out this December when when I'm on the Oasis OTS.

They do. They're gross.

They do. They're gross.

Well, you can always order the steak at dinner and take a couple of slices of bread and make your own hamburger. If worse comes to worse, I'm sure most people can survive a week without a hotdog or hamburger without suffering any health issues.

You don't have to wait to find out.... they do.