Johnny Rip-offs

Haha! Girlfriend, was that for me? 'cos I have touted here how JR grilled cheese was the WORST I have ever had in my life!!

;p;p;p

Yes...it was. :D I was hoping you would see the post about our favorite "grilled cheese" experience.

Hope you are continuing to do well :hearteyes:

Yes...it was. :D I was hoping you would see the post about our favorite "grilled cheese" experience.

Hope you are continuing to do well :hearteyes:

How does one ruin grilled cheese? That is almost impossible to mess up?!? ;(

Interesting...just off the Anthem last week and the price of items were ala carte. and reasonable. We used our bogo coupon for milkshakes and got a half and half order of french fries and onion rings. No cover charge.

JR on Quantum class has always been a la carte.

All other JRs are cover charge.

Of Quantum class ships, only Anthem has Johnny Rockets. It is a la carte there.

Ovation and Quantum have Kung Fu Panda. ;) :o

I was on this same cruise and ate there but it was only $9.95?

It was also $9.95 on Explorer a few weeks ago. If I recall correctly it went up from $7.95 when they started including soda in the cover charge.

I wouldn’t eat there everyday, but we did enjoy the lunch we had there. Chilli cheese fries, chilli, onion rings, a burger each, more fries, desert, a few cokes. I thought it was actually a lot of food for the cost. Ours was hot, and made as described. The waiters danced to YMCA.

So overall I would say we left satisfied and certainly didn’t think it was a rip off. Had I been unhappy I think the more efficient and effective way to raise that would be with a supervisor onboard at the time, not on the Internet later. While internet posts can help alert other cruisers to things they only really change if you raise them in an appropriate way onboard.

We live in nyc where there are several Johnny Rockets. Food is horrible, never eat the food there, although husband gets milkshakes on rare occasions. Checked on Anthem in Feb. Milkshakes made with a mix, not fresh ice cream. Husband got the caramel frapiccinos at Patisserie (Starbucks coffee) which were included on his refreshment package. Said they were terrific. I understand Starbucks may not be included on every ship though.

How does one ruin grilled cheese? That is almost impossible to mess up?!? ;(

Right? I know. I would agree that someone in a professional kitchen would know how to make a grilled cheese, but I was wrong. :p Mine came out between two toasted pieces of bread and not melted. It wasn't grilled and it wasn't melted, two things I consider crucial to a good grilled cheese! And last time I mentioned this, someone pointed out that a grilled cheese sandwich is a staple on the kids' menu on board ship! Like, it's not brain surgery.

Ashland, thanks for asking. I am still alive and kicking but this chemo has me down. It's a drag and I can't travel anymore. :(

Say what you will about Carnival but you’re right. Guy’s is better and it’s free.

There’s some weird fascination on this board to act like Royal is so much better than Carnival, when both lines have things they do better the other. Overall they are pretty similar.

Meanwhile, burgers are free / included up in the Wipe Out Café. I doubt they're anything to write home about, but worth a try for the price! Anyway I'd rather have a Kummelweck or 3 over at the Park Café. Also included in the cruise fare. Just me.

Can’t believe they boosted the price. We ate there on the sailing before yours, and it was 9.95 plus the 18% gratuity, so 23.48 for the two of us. JR is the only place DW can get a slice of apple pie without raisins.

We had no problem with the jukebox controls at our table. They are a little slow to respond, but we played several songs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The first time we went to JR was on Voyager back when it was free. Waited in line for almost an hour on a port day. Burgers were just okay, fries tasted of freezer burn and chocolate shake was made with a vanilla mix so wasn’t very “chocolatey” if you really like chocolate. A couple of cruises later, they had started to charge but everyone got a free coupon in their C&A packet so we tried again. While I did enjoy the Oreo sundae and DH said the beer was cheaper, I still preferred food elsewhere on the ship. We started giving our free coupons away. Don’t think I would ever pay $10 pp to consider going back.

The first time we went to JR was on Voyager back when it was free. Waited in line for almost an hour on a port day. Burgers were just okay, fries tasted of freezer burn and chocolate shake was made with a vanilla mix so wasn’t very “chocolatey” if you really like chocolate. A couple of cruises later, they had started to charge but everyone got a free coupon in their C&A packet so we tried again. While I did enjoy the Oreo sundae and DH said the beer was cheaper, I still preferred food elsewhere on the ship. We started giving our free coupons away. Don’t think I would ever pay $10 pp to consider going back.

It's too bad, back then Johnny's was good. We don't have them where I live. First time I ate it was when Mall of America first opened in 1992. Second time was in 1999 year Voyager was launched. When Johnny Rockets first came to Royal 20 yrs ago was on the new Voyager Class. Was so popular that they started a cover charge. Didn't last long, was removed after a few months. There was even discussion on Cruise Critic about it 20 years ago... All shakes are made out of Vanilla shake mix. They then add the different flavors to it, Chocolate, Strawberry and such.Your's must not have been mixed enough or had enough Chocolate added.

I'm wondering now if Johnny Rockets suffers more in general from the food quality, or from the amount and level of competition in the burger industry. All of the Toronto locations closed some time ago, so I've no direct point of reference. But the number of different chains we have here does seem to indicate that the humble burger has been elevated.

We enjoyed JR's in the past but were very disappointed when we ate there on Navigator last December. The fries and my burger were cold.

The waitstaff on Navigator danced, anyway.

We might use the C&A milkshake coupon but we'll not go back for lunch. We do enjoy the breakfast, as long as it stays free.

Guy’s Burgers are overrated. But in relation to Johnny Rockets, yes they are free and spectacular.

Best burgers I’ve had at sea, by far. The fries are meh. Although I hear the pub on Symphony has a pretty tasty burger.

Guy’s Burgers are overrated. But in relation to Johnny Rockets, yes they are free and spectacular.

Guy's definitely isn't free. It is, however, included in the cruise fare.

Semantics, I know. :D:D