Drinks package

misprint

Is it best to buy a drinks package before you go or on the ship. Can you only buy on first day or later in the cruise just for the amount of days left.

If you buy before you go so you still pay the 18% gratuity.

Thanks

Is it best to buy a drinks package before you go or on the ship. Can you only buy on first day or later in the cruise just for the amount of days left.

If you buy before you go so you still pay the 18% gratuity.

Thanks

It depends on how you want to use it. We like to prepay everything (if we don't get it as a perk) so we know how much it costs. However, to answer your questions.

1. Yes, you can buy on the ship for just the days left. I'm not positive, but I think you have to buy within the first few days (e.g. can't buy on day 6 of a 7 day cruise). Also, any purchases BEFORE you buy the package are kept as normal charges.

2. Yes, you always pay the 18% on any beverage CHARGE (If you get the Classic Package as a perk, you don't pay the 18% on that, but for any upgrade you do pay 18% on the difference. Ex1: you get the Classic as a perk and decide to upgrade to Premium - you pay $10 pp/pd + $1.80 pp/pd. Ex2: you buy the Classic package and pay $55 pp/pd + $9.90 pp/pd. Ex3: you have the Classic and decide to buy a $12 drink and pay the $3 difference + $0.54.

It depends on how you want to use it. We like to prepay everything (if we don't get it as a perk) so we know how much it costs. However, to answer your questions.

1. Yes, you can buy on the ship for just the days left. I'm not positive, but I think you have to buy within the first few days (e.g. can't buy on day 6 of a 7 day cruise). Also, any purchases BEFORE you buy the package are kept as normal charges.

2. Yes, you always pay the 18% on any beverage CHARGE (If you get the Classic Package as a perk, you don't pay the 18% on that, but for any upgrade you do pay 18% on the difference. Ex1: you get the Classic as a perk and decide to upgrade to Premium - you pay $10 pp/pd + $1.80 pp/pd. Ex2: you buy the Classic package and pay $55 pp/pd + $9.90 pp/pd. Ex3: you have the Classic and decide to buy a $12 drink and pay the $3 difference + $0.54.

Thank you so much for such a detailed reply. I think I will probably buy before I go. If you buy from uk before you go does anyone know if you are charged in sterling or $. Just wondering what card to use 😊

Yes you can upgrade before you go. That said doing it on line from a classic package that was a perk is a little bit hit and miss. My booking does not show the classic package but was on my confirmation The website is a mess. Some people have said elsewhere on here that it is not possible to upgrade until nearer the time of sailing when the option to upgrade magically appears. The only way to do it before then is to call Celebrity and they will do it for you.

I can't remember whether there was an obvious sell/upsell table on boarding or not but most of the bars will ask if you want to upgrade your package early on in the cruise. Personally that never seemed too much of a hard sell to me, more along the lines of you could have a better brand of spirit in the drink if you upgrade to the premium package.

The other option is just to ask guest services how to upgrade and they will do it for you on board.

Can you upgrade before you go?

Yes. But review the choices available in the classic package first. Unless you demand very high end liquors or wine, you may very well find that the classic package is just fine.

The class includes many better liquor brands like Johnny Walker, Bacardi, Absolute, Chivas, Stoly, Jim Beam, Dewars, etc. Several liquors are offered. The wines are equivalent to the house wine in most mid range restaurants. We find it all just fine for us.

When we want a martini AT THE MARTINI BAR or a grand Marnier, we pay the few bucks for the upgrade on that drink. And we pay 18% gratuity on that upgrade. WAY cheaper than upgrading to the premium package.

(I admit that we spend little time at the Martini Bar. We find it too noisy, and have no qualms about the martini's and cosmo's offered in other lounges.)

We always wait to upgrade to Premium package until we get on board & go to Martini Bar (our favorite). We then order a drink, hand the two cards over & ask to upgrade both packages. You get this blinding smile from the bartender (they get to keep the $1.80 per person per day gratuity) & they do remember you. The cost to you is the same prior to boarding or waiting till on board, but the difference to them is significant

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't think this applies to the OP's cruise and I'm sure others on CC know more about this; but for cruises with ports that are entirely within the EU, I have been led to believe that purchasing on board would have VAT added while purchasing prior to boarding using the US website would not incur VAT. Hopefully, others with more experience can comment on this.

So, just to confirm.....we picked the classic package as our perk when booking. If we wanted to upgrade this to the premium package before sailing, we'd be looking at approx. $23.60 per day extra. Is this correct?

So, just to confirm.....we picked the classic package as our perk when booking. If we wanted to upgrade this to the premium package before sailing, we'd be looking at approx. $23.60 per day extra. Is this correct?

11.80 dollars per day x 2 , yes, correct.

We have never had a beverage package before... but for the next cruise..we got the classic package as one of the perks. Usually I am a regular coffee, iced tea and cocktail at CaptainsClub cocktail party. my question is... can you get frozen cocktails like margaritas or pina colada ... or is this a premium upgrade?

We have never had a beverage package before... but for the next cruise..we got the classic package as one of the perks. Usually I am a regular coffee, iced tea and cocktail at CaptainsClub cocktail party. my question is... can you get frozen cocktails like margaritas or pina colada ... or is this a premium upgrade?

My understanding is yes but they will not be made with the top shelf alcohol - which seemingly you have to ask for anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums