Motion Sickness prevention

I take the Bonine and because I'm a whimp and it makes me drowsy even though it's labeled non-drowsy, I take it at night starting a day or 2 before the cruise. Then nightly while on the cruise. Haven't had a problem but the seas haven't been that rough either.

I got seasick on a ferry once from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel...never want to feel that again. Found a pharmacy and got some Dramamine and took some when my stomach settled down, but it didn't help a whole lot on the way back. Guess it didn't have enough time to work its way through my system. Once it did kick in though, I was so sleepy.

So if you are going to the cruise a day early, test out the Bonine and see if it makes you drowsy during the day. If so, just take it at night.

On my first cruise and a little worried about motion sickness. We will be leaving out of Vancouver. I plan to have Bonine with me, but should I take this before boarding? Or, can I wait until evening? My thought is to only take it in the evening, or maybe just the days we are at sea all day. We are in port 3 days (Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway). Can I wait to see how I feel, and only take it if I start to feel nauseas? I also plan on having ginger candies, maybe Sea Bands. Our cabin in on Caribe deck, middle of the Coral.

The most practical solution is to start Bonine about 24 hours prior to boarding and then take one daily until you get off the cruise. If you wait until you start to feel sick, it is not going to work well. Bonine should be more than sufficient and the sea bands and ginger are just over kill.

BTW sailing out of Vancouver you are truly in the inside passage and most of your cruise is likely to be like being on the lake. The worst seas will be between Hubbard Glacier and Whittier as you cross the Gulf of Alaska.

• 1 month later...

Sea-sickness is not only limited to the cruise ship.

If you go on a port excursion on a small vessel you may be more vulnerable to mal-de-mare than on the big ship.

Especially when the boat stops - on a snorkel trip, for example. These trips are typically at a reef, where the swell hits the reef and causes proportionatley more waves at the surface. Bobbing around in an oversized tub is no fun, believe me, with the horizon going from 'way up there' to 'way down there'.

Advice: take a medication at least an hour before you board the boat. Don't rely on sea-bands in this situation.If it's an all-day trip, take extras with you. Stay hydrated but avoid alcohol.

If you do feel like you're going to be sick, don't fight it - barf over the side. You will feel better instantly.

If possible, stay in the water (with a life-vest, if needed) rather than stay in the boat.

After all, fish don't get sea-sick.

Or do they?

On the other hand, you might not be bothered by seasickness at all, and if you medicate you'll never know.

DH and I started sailing before Cruise Critic, and it never occurred to us to be concerned. 40 cruises later, and we still have never taken anything, and have never been seasick, even in exceedingly rough seas.

The most practical solution is to start Bonine about 24 hours prior to boarding and then take one daily until you get off the cruise. If you wait until you start to feel sick, it is not going to work well. Bonine should be more than sufficient and the sea bands and ginger are just over kill.

BTW sailing out of Vancouver you are truly in the inside passage and most of your cruise is likely to be like being on the lake. The worst seas will be between Hubbard Glacier and Whittier as you cross the Gulf of Alaska.

Having worked as navigator for a couple of seasons on Alaska bound cruise ships from Vancouver followed by 30 years in command of local ferries, I have experienced seas that frequently don't resemble a lake, even in summer. In the true inside passage between Campbell River and Port Hardy, yes, the only rolling will be caused by making big turns.

In Georgia Strait between Vancouver and Campbell River we get a number of summer westerlies, with winds up to 40 + kts. North of Port Hardy in Hecate Strait, it is relatively shallow and strong winds can also be experienced, with the reduced depth increasing the seas.

On a couple of our Alaska cruises DW has required a patch when departing Vancouver and in Hecate Strait/Dixon Entrance. Once outside Icy Strait, she automatically applies her patch for crossing the gulf.

Try out Bonine (meclizine) before your cruise... preferably when you are out having a couple of drinks. It makes me drowsy if I drink any alcohol while taking it.

I begin taking one ginger capsule at morning and one at night, the day before our flight or cruise. I am very prone to motion sickness, and I have never experienced any nausea on a cruise!

If I'm going to have to be on a ferry or a tender, I will go ahead and take the Bonine in addition to the ginger capsules. The ride is much more bumpy.

On the other hand, you might not be bothered by seasickness at all, and if you medicate you'll never know.

DH and I started sailing before Cruise Critic, and it never occurred to us to be concerned. 40 cruises later, and we still have never taken anything, and have never been seasick, even in exceedingly rough seas.

I agree that there is no point in getting doped up unless you know for certain you will be seasick.

As well you can get used to the rolling. My wife was seasick on a cruise when we hit a patch of unsettled water. She was fine on two subsequent days when the seas were much rougher.