Ncl has raised their prices to a ridiculous level imho of course

The Spirit 2019 has been released. There’s some sailings in the price range that you’re accustomed to. The 3/7/19 Barcelona 10 night is $799 for insides and $1719 for balconies. They have some 4/19 reasonably priced rt Rome 10 & 11 night. The sailings out of Southampton/Stockholm are a bit on the high side but lower priced than the competition. Most of those Southampton itineraries are not offered by the competition and are pretty desirable. I would expect pricing to go up pretty fast on them. The Ncl site doesn’t have them all loaded yet but should be in a day or so.

Yes pricing has gone up, but in the grand scheme of it all cruises are NOT imo cheap vacations. After you pay for cabin all the add ons for DSC, gratuities, port fees etc etc plus air fare even if you don't step a foot off the boat for an excursion my head is going cha ching cha ching cha ching lol.

It's why many people plan them out more than a year in advance and pay so much each month.

I still feel they are raising prices for 2019 prime sailings way in excess to the 2018 prime sailing rates

Nothing to do with supply and demand or the good economy either imho but purely a "see if we can get it" thing

I understand business and profits but what ncl is doing will only cause other lines to look more attractive to ncl loyalists and since I'm a cruiser but not a stockholder quite frankly I don't care about ncl profits I only care about my pocketbook ....as it should be for my individual circumstances.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Of course you are going to get a better deal on a 12 day cruise. Who can normally take a 12 day cruise? Mostly retired guests, and a much smaller demographic to market to. Therefore, less demand = less cost. You will always find the average age to be much higher on a longer reposition or long cruise. Most younger family cruisers just can’t get longer than a week away from work or school.

10-day cruise out of Miami to the southern Caribbean

Four People

Two cabins (1 OC, 1 IF)

Grand total $2055.72

Includes:

Flights round trip from Virginia to MIA

Hotel two nights pre-cruise one post cruise four people

Rental car (full size) two nights pre-cruise one post cruise

Shuttle MIA airport to cruise terminal

Cruise Fare

Taxes/Port Fees

DSC

1 Soda Card

6 meal SDP for all four

$25 OBC per person

590 minutes Internet

120 phone calls per cabin

$100 per port excursion credit in the OC cabin

$50 per port excursion credit in the IF cabin

Yeah cruising is VERY expensive! :D

That's a ho hum cruise,imo, more than likely the enticement to fill the ship. Doubt you would ever see that for Alaska and Europe

Also what are the dates??? August lol as I'd be surprised if it were in the winter

Edited by njkate

Why do people think cruise lines are supposed to operate like a low income charity? They are a for profit business who do their shareholders a disservice whenever they don't seek to maximize profits.

Why do people think cruise lines are supposed to operate like a low income charity? They are a for profit business who do their shareholders a disservice whenever they don't seek to maximize profits.

I don't expect them to operate like a charity! Everything goes up, I doubt I could get my car for the same price I paid two years ago

My friend put his house on the market for $XXX,XXX. After I long time he accepted 66% of what he thought the house was worth.

His attitude........."Things are worth what someone else is willing to pay."

So, OP, if you don't want to pay what NCL is asking, someone else will. And if no one else will, they will lower the price.

Someone is jealous. BTW you can have the Alaska cruises all you want. I don't go on a cruise to be cold and miserable all week.

No jealousy been to Caribbean more times then I can count both cruises and land packages, for me it's NOT a place I want to be in summer. Too each his own, my point was what you posted is NOT the norm and I would be dumbfounded if that package was anytime December through March

May not be the norm. I was pointing out that if you plan well you can get cost down to very low prices. For example our round trip flights cost $10.20 per person. You just have to know how to play the game. BTW I think I comprehend your use of the term "package" but just in the name of full disclosure, there was no package per se'. I made all of the arrangements for each part of our vacation separately and on my own.

BTW, Consider yourself dumbfounded.

Well maybe you should give us all tips and enlighten us. $10.20 rt flights??? Using miles or points??

10-day cruise out of Miami to the southern Caribbean

Four People

Two cabins (1 OC, 1 IF)

Grand total $2055.72

Includes:

Flights round trip from Virginia to MIA

Hotel two nights pre-cruise one post cruise four people

Rental car (full size) two nights pre-cruise one post cruise

Shuttle MIA airport to cruise terminal

Cruise Fare

Taxes/Port Fees

DSC

1 Soda Card

6 meal SDP for all four

$25 OBC per person

590 minutes Internet

120 phone calls per cabin

$100 per port excursion credit in the OC cabin

$50 per port excursion credit in the IF cabin

Yeah cruising is VERY expensive! :D

In July last Year:

One week on the Mediterranean from Barcelona in the Haven on the Epic around $9000 for two. Some people may think that is cheap but I think that's expensive.

I completely agree! I understand fully the concepts of supply and demand, which is why I will be taking my business elsewhere. My wife and I have cruises with NCL multiple times, but I think it’s time to start branching out. Nothing wrong with that. Just as NCL is free to raise pricing and cut services, I am free to shop around and book elsewhere. Capitalism at its best!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In July last Year:

One week on the Mediterranean from Barcelona in the Haven on the Epic around $9000 for two. Some people may think that is cheap but I think that's expensive.

Yes, that looks expensive to me, but then the Haven is expensive.

The Epic Western Med itinerary is pretty good value in standard cabins, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still feel they are raising prices for 2019 prime sailings way in excess to the 2018 prime sailing rates

Yes, I agree. Prices do seem to be very much higher than they were last year and the year before.

My point is that prices two years ago were too low. We were due an increase. The fact that I could book cruises for 2017 that were cheaper per person per day than they were in 2013 means that a hefty rise is due.

Now we have that rise.

I have today booked the Spirit 15 night Baltics cruise for next year. It is about 50% more expensive than what we paid for our summer cruise for 2017. However, it is only about 25% more than we paid for Summer 2014. I thought that 2014 cruise was pretty cheap at the time.

NCL prices are heading to the level where they are at the top end of our budget (we have to cruise during school holidays). They aren’t quite there yet though. If we could sail outside holiday times then they would still represent good value, from what I have seen.

Nothing to do with supply and demand or the good economy either imho but purely a "see if we can get it" thing

I understand business and profits but what ncl is doing will only cause other lines to look more attractive to ncl loyalists and since I'm a cruiser but not a stockholder quite frankly I don't care about ncl profits I only care about my pocketbook ....as it should be for my individual circumstances.

Hen don’t sail with NCL.

Well maybe you should give us all tips and enlighten us. $10.20 rt flights??? Using miles or points??

Obviously using miles/points. I just booked two round trip to San Juan for $22.40. :-/

Yes, I agree. Prices do seem to be very much higher than they were last year and the year before.

My point is that prices two years ago were too low. We were due an increase. The fact that I could book cruises for 2017 that were cheaper per person per day than they were in 2013 means that a hefty rise is due.

Now we have that rise.

I have today booked the Spirit 15 night Baltics cruise for next year. It is about 50% more expensive than what we paid for our summer cruise for 2017. However, it is only about 25% more than we paid for Summer 2014. I thought that 2014 cruise was pretty cheap at the time.

NCL prices are heading to the level where they are at the top end of our budget (we have to cruise during school holidays). They aren’t quite there yet though. If we could sail outside holiday times then they would still represent good value, from what I have seen.

Oh wow, Spirit is my favorite ship so had to look it up, love the ports

Oh wow, Spirit is my favorite ship so had to look it up, love the ports

There are some fantastic itineraries just released. It gives us an excuse to do the Baltics again with some new ports added in. :)

There are some fantastic itineraries just released. It gives us an excuse to do the Baltics again with some new ports added in. :)

I am very tempted by this one, just have to scout out a travel companion as don't think any of my kids could get that much time off at once and if memory serves Spirit does not have solo cabins :(

For us not being tied to any cruise line or any location has been wonderful. As soon as you start saying you will stay with XYZ cruise line because you are a Plutonium Member and that gets you free laundry, well they got you and you WILL pay more. The same is true for locations. We watch prices on all locations, calculate in air fares (which can be MORE than the cruise cost) and go from there. The introduction of BIGGER and BIGGER ships is growing faster than the number of cruisers, and it has created excellent bargains if you look, and if your flexible. Crowds on the ship are less, crowds in port are less, and we have a wonderful time. We usually price things out as cost/per/day so we can compare apples to apples. Be flexible and you will be rewarded with lower prices.

I don't expect them to operate as a charity I just don't expect them to blatantly price gouge

There are many stores i no longer frequent because they overprice the same item that their competitors reasonably price

Service etc not withstanding...and again i totally get the whole profit margin stockholder thing...if one chain store is selling a certain brand item at $ and the other chain store is equally easy to get to but is selling that same brand item for $$ it doesn't take a genius to figure out where to buy that item

Ncl is a chain store in the cruise industry. Doesn't mean I don't like it doesn't mean its pax are riff raff what it says to me is that they want to grab as much as they can from me when they certainly are aware that the competition is offering the same product for less

I guess they are just hoping I won't notice

I don't expect them to operate like a charity! Everything goes up, I doubt I could get my car for the same price I paid two years ago

I did. I returned my 3 year leased car and said I want the same car only I want current model and I want to pay the same price

Yup supply and demand...very popular type car that you see all over the place and several car manufacturers produce the exact same thing only under different names....just like cruise lines

Honda wanted my return business so we have 3 of them in my driveway now and have driven nothing else since 2003

My friend put his house on the market for $XXX,XXX. After I long time he accepted 66% of what he thought the house was worth.

His attitude........."Things are worth what someone else is willing to pay."

So, OP, if you don't want to pay what NCL is asking, someone else will. And if no one else will, they will lower the price.

Never said I wouldn't pay what ncl is or should I say will eventually being asking when they see bookings decrease

however I should have clarified that I'm not paying the high prices ncl is trying to get a year out

Fwiw...I always book a year out and have always gotten the lowest price as I check them regularly. While I will be checking ncl prices regularly you can bet I'm not paying current prices I'll just wait until they go down or just I'll jump ship but you can be sure that I won't give up my family memory making trips because ncl is testing the waters with ridiculous pricing for April 2019 over April 2018

Just to clarify...ncl prices are not stopping me from cruising they are just allowing me to look for better deals elsewhere

It's not that I can't afford current pricing it's just that I'm not interested to pay current pricing as I see it as a money grab...