Uniworld cancels gentle walker program without notice or notification

commonloon

In April, AMA staff was bending over backwards to provide maximum service to a wide variety of patrons, including those with mobility issues. I have never seen so many wheelchairs and walkers on one ship before. Staff carried bicycles and wheelchairs over two rafted ships in Antwerp. However, crossing the rafted ships themselves still is an obstacle for some. Busses were shared by gentle and regular walkers but the groups had separate tours and guides. When selecting tour groups we needed to be sure we selected the group appropriate for us. They were clearly marked by AMA.

AMA's service was amazing! Gold stars to AMA.

I saw this on Amawaterways also but you’d still need an able bodied companion to assist you also. Totally agree with the issues with rafting, and my only hope is that future cruisers are honest with themselves as to their physical limitations and understand the issues that River Cruising bring.

Our tour guide arranged for a gentle walker group for us today in Passau despite the cancellation of the program. There were 2 groups on the bus with 46-48 guests. 20 were in the gentle walker group. Not a minor number from my point of view (which admittedly may be a little biassed.)

re appealing to a new demographic. U by Uniworld initially had a maximum age limit set at 45 years of age. This maximum was removed before the first sailing according to news reports. Perhaps they're choosing the wrong demographic for this type of travel?

Commonloon,

So glad Uniworld made this right for you. I am surprised that your cruise director had to clear things with corporate. Ours pretty much had carte blanche to do what he felt he needed to do, when things didn't go as planned.

Other than the changes in decor that have been made, I haven't been too impressed with decisions which have been made since Ellen Bettridge took over as CEO.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I've seen canes on rivers cruises but not walkers or wheelchairs. That adds a whole other dimension. The ads on TV make it look like smooth sailing the whole way and you just sit back and relax. They don't show the steep ramps, rafting, cobblestone streets, etc.

Roz

We just returned from a Viking Danube Waltz cruise and had a "leisurely" walking group on each included excursion. The group varied from 4 people in Cesky Krumlov (nice, almost a private tour) to about 15-16 people in Vienna. I found that some more serious photographers (with no mobility issues) liked the slower paced tours because they had more time to take photos and still keep up with the group.

I sure hate hearing this news. We love Uniworld but will now have to check out another cruise line.
I just reviewed my dailies from our Paris-Normandy cruise on Uniworld, and there were gentle walker groups offered. (This confirms what SOShrink wrote earlier)

Robin

We did an Avalon cruise in Dec 2014 and there were no announced "gentle walker" tours. I asked the CD about it and he said that he assigns people to groups (via the colored headset systems) based on how he feels they're going to be mobile. In essence - the CD makes the decision for you (or, you've asked him and he assigns you) because they were getting feedback that passengers were offended by being told they needed the Gentle Walker group, that there was some stigma associated with it and people weren't choosing it even though they should and it was an option.

And quite honestly - there were a couple people on our trip who really did NOT belong in the group to which they were assigned. We quickly learned to avoid their group if needed.....

Is it possible Uniworld is doing something like this? As noted up thread- you're still going to have multiple tour groups at any given port/tour, so maybe the CD is making assignments and not publicizing them?

We did an Avalon cruise in Dec 2014 and there were no announced "gentle walker" tours. I asked the CD about it and he said that he assigns people to groups (via the colored headset systems) based on how he feels they're going to be mobile. In essence - the CD makes the decision for you (or, you've asked him and he assigns you) because they were getting feedback that passengers were offended by being told they needed the Gentle Walker group, that there was some stigma associated with it and people weren't choosing it even though they should and it was an option.

And quite honestly - there were a couple people on our trip who really did NOT belong in the group to which they were assigned. We quickly learned to avoid their group if needed.....

Is it possible Uniworld is doing something like this? As noted up thread- you're still going to have multiple tour groups at any given port/tour, so maybe the CD is making assignments and not publicizing them?

I think it certainly could be something like this. Ironically enough, my husband and I chose the 'Gentle Walkers' group one day when we were in Viena on a cruise and it was pouring rain. Once we heard that the group wouldn't walk as far and would do more indoor activities (museums, etc.), we jumped in with the group although - on a pleasant day - we would have had no problem walking 5+ miles. ;)

We just received a Vantage booklet. They are push active excursions-bikes, rafting etc. also encouraging family oriented. Tours. I think that riverboats in general are going after the younger and more athletic passengers. This is a little discouraging for seniors that have some mobility issues. When we go on our Uniworld cruise in June , I hope to find out if I am right.

Elyce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may be short sighted on their part but I think they are eyeing the baby boomer generation who are retiring in droves now - who hopefully have the disposable income to spend on vacation and are active - and are looking for an active vacation experience surrounded by similar passengers. Lets face it - 50 is the new 40, 60 is the new 50, 70 is the new 60 and so on - the baby boomer generation is completely different then their parents when it comes to health, exercise, and experiences that they want...so I am sure the thinking is let some river cruise companies target those passengers that may need and want a slower pace experience while Uniworld targets the more active "older" demographic. Not unlike some ocean cruise companies do and are known for. Lets face it - Holland America still has the reputation of catering to an older demographic as opposed to a Celebrity or Viking line. While their U experiment apparently did not work (millennials are not spending and if they are - its not going to be on a river cruise) before it even got off the ground - I see them pivoting to a demographic that most importantly have the funds. My wife is retiring this year (age 54) - I still have 15+ years before I can retire but we are in better shape and more physically active now then when we had kids 20+ years ago - with the kids moving out and us now having the time and disposable income to start traveling - I feel like we are and will be the demographic they are targeting. Just look at the advertising and who they are picturing in their promo materials and on-screen presence - looks like the 50 something crowd to me. I am not saying this is right - just that this is the direction I see them going. Discontinuing the gentle walker group is definitely sending a message in my opinion.

I just reviewed my dailies from our Paris-Normandy cruise on Uniworld, and there were gentle walker groups offered. (This confirms what SOShrink wrote earlier)

Robin

It's confusing. It's nice they offered that option on your cruise, but it sounds like they don't all have that option now. It's a pricey vacation, so we will not take a chance. Thank you for the info though.😊

We were on a Burgundy And Provence cruise first week of April- at least one of the tours were always dedicated gentle walkers- I cannot see why it’s not possible - just a matter of planning. For some tours the gentle walkers were offered a taxi for the more difficult parts of the tour. On our curies a quite big group of gentle walkers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're now here in Prague after a walking tour yesterday in Nuremberg that was terrific - not a gentle walking tour but it turned out to be easy with a terrific guide. The unpleasant surprise here in Prague in the Uniworld hotel is the room assigned to us at the Art Deco Imperial. In our orientation session with the hotel staff and local, we told that the rooms had very very high bathtubs and we could request steps to get in. My husband has MS and he can't lift his legs high enough to step over the rim of a regular tub. And stairs without a hand rail are a problem. I asked at the desk if we could have a room with a shower and were told if they had known one day before, they could have accommodated us. But of course we didn't know a day ahead. (I know, I know I should checked the hotel web site more thoroughly so it's partly my fault.) Then the local guide said I should have specified a handicapped room on the passenger registration form. I double checked and it asks only for any physical limitations that would affect tours and excursions. So again some advice...if you are taking a Uniworld extension and using a bathtub could be an issue, do let Uniworld know that a walk in shower is necessary in your hotel room.

FYI: My husband used a cane on the ship and only used the elevator at the end of a long day of activity. The crew found a place in one the public spaces to park his walker out of the way. Then on any walking tours, he used the walker to help with balance on the cobblestones. A short rest every 20 minutes or so on a tour, and he's good to go again. He has successfully transversed other ships when necessary (I, a crew member or a fellow passenger carry the walker and he uses the cane until we're on the ground). On ocean trips, he can move from the large ship to the tender with good timing. We did Uniworld Egypt in January 2017, and when he got tired on the long walks around the sites, we'd ask the guide where would be a good place to meet and we'd wait there. Or if at the end of the day, there were a lot of steps involved, he'd wait for the rest of us. For us, it isn't that we feel we must get 100% of what others get. Our goal is 80% participation at some level even if it's sitting and people watching on an Egyptian street. And yes bus tours get counted as part of the 80%. And we do decide to take off with no tours every once in a while which also gets put on the plus side of a trip.

I agree that some of the passengers who used canes on our ship may have been reluctant to identify themselves as needing gentle walks. It's a pity that they stayed behind on the ship for some of the tours. Perhaps a different name is needed or a more detailed description of the length and difficulty. I'm sure someone out there has a solution.

Our next trip will be from Rio de Janeiro around Cape Horn and back north to Santiago Chile. The Oceania descriptions of the excursions seem to be quite clear about the length of the walks and the terrain and the steepness of the path. Until we actually take the tours, we don't know how accurate these descriptions are. We'll be limiting ourselves to the easiest but there is an easy one at each stop. Here's hoping it all works out well.

I'd say I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Grand Circle Cruises, except that it's a line that gets almost no coverage on Cruise Critic. (Although Conde Nast Traveler's readers' poll always places it at first or second - after Viking but ahead of Uniworld and all the other lines.)

Yes, its boats aren't up-to-date or fancy, but its fares aren't fancy either. And it grew out of AARP, the average passenger being 70. I've yet to go on my first Grand Circle cruise...or my first river cruise, comes to that. But when I booked Bucharest-to-Amsterdam this summer, one reason I chose Grand Circle is because I have some mobility and endurance issues and figured it would be a good fit for me. Plus I'll be assigned a cruise-long trip director who'll guide my shore excursions and will be aware of my limitations. (No wheelchairs on my boat, though, and no elevator.)

I feel like I'm shilling for Grand Circle but honestly I'm not. When I get back in August I may think "never again." But all the people my age I've spoken to who've been on the line loved it. I was glad I went to Bhutan with Road Scholar, since I wasn't straining to keep up with people 30 years younger than me. And at this point I'm glad I chose a line where ALL the groups are gentle-walker groups.

I'd say I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Grand Circle Cruises, except that it's a line that gets almost no coverage on Cruise Critic...

... it grew out of AARP, the average passenger being 70. I've yet to go on my first Grand Circle cruise

...no elevator.

...at this point I'm glad I chose a line where ALL the groups are gentle-walker groups.

There are several CC River Board member including myself who comment fairly regularly about GCCL.

I have been on a number of GCCL river trips totaling over 10 weeks (plus a number of GCCL Mediterranean and ocean cruises) and never seen an average age above mid-60s. I started sailing with them when I was in my 50s and I am now over 70. While the guides will attempt to accommodate the group, I have most definitely had groups and guides that were operating considerably above gentle walking.

I am very surprised to learn that GCCL has removed the elevators from their Rhine-Main-Danube boats. The elevators serve most but not decks.

There are several CC River Board member including myself who comment fairly regularly about GCCL.

I have been on a number of GCCL river trips totaling over 10 weeks (plus a number of GCCL Mediterranean and ocean cruises) and never seen an average age above mid-60s. I started sailing with them when I was in my 50s and I am now over 70. While the guides will attempt to accommodate the group, I have most definitely had groups and guides that were operating considerably above gentle walking.

I am very surprised to learn that GCCL has removed the elevators from their Rhine-Main-Danube boats. The elevators serve most but not decks.

I stand corrected. No elevator for me, since I'm down in steerage. ;p And like I said, I've yet to sail GC, so I'm judging the experience totally on hearsay.

I'm fine with more-than-gentle most days, and though I'm 70 I could easily pass for, um, 68.

So since we're talking... There are some ports where I definitely want to do things not including in the rather vague descriptions of the excursions. I've been doing lots of research and even booked a Budapest Parliament tour since it's already half-full two months in advance. How accommodating have your trip directors been when helping those who want to go off on their own? When it says "you'll have time for explorations on your own," does that usually mean 30 minutes? A couple of hours? Or anything at all?

... How accommodating have your trip directors been when helping those who want to go off on their own? When it says "you'll have time for explorations on your own," does that usually mean 30 minutes? A couple of hours? Or anything at all?
I’d say very accommodating. Generally they will mark maps for where you want to go and give suggestions for things that you might want to do. In many places you dock downtown (eg the Hungarian Parliament is an easy 10 minute walk from most of the Pest docks and maybe 15 if you dock on the Buda side). In Vienna it is a long walk to downtown but a quick 4 stops on the U-bahn Nuremberg docking is 15+ minutes away by bus, but after the orientation walk downtown they will probably run shuttle buses and you can spend anything from 30 minutes to some hours on your own. Half or more times you are docked within an easy walk of town so your free time limit is the boat departure and quite often that coincides with the start of dinner. ENJOY

Uniworld has a town map that is quite easy to work out at all the ports and both the front desk and the tour manager will go through local sites. Otherwise, I download the google maps for the town.

There is nothing stopping you from leaving in the middle of the tour or 'doing your own thing'. Although if in the middle of the tour, do let the tour guide know. And if you do so, it's up to you to get back onto the ship of course on time!

Shepp

The Program Directors on Grand Circle are very accommodating to folks that want to explore on their own. About the only thing they can't accommodate is delaying the ship's departure. We often "bug out" of a tour, skip lunch on the ship, and explore on our own. Just let the PD know that you are "bugging out." Parliament in Budapest is well worth the visit.

Probably the reason you didn't see GCT posters earlier is that the company really doesn't offer "easy walker" groups. Travelers are assigned a rout, and they stick with that group throughout the trip. They will accommodate people by arranging taxis, pointing out a way to avoid stairs, or arranging a meeting point for folks that cannot participate in the full tour.

What is the name of the trip are you taking? I'm not familiar with a Budapest to Amsterdam itinerary on GCT. Looking forward to your impressions of GCT after the trip.

Edited by CPT Trips

I think that GCT cruise mentioned is the Grand European or something like that. I’ve taken 4 GCT river cruises and have seen lots of folks under 70, including me. I even took my 32 year old daughter on one cruise...and she wasn’t the youngest. Have never seen a gentle walkers group ( have cruised with Uniworld when those gentle groups did exist) but as mentioned above, the tour leaders are very good about calling cabs for people who need them, etc. Folks have generally been an active bunch, and I sure hope it stays that way!

What is the name of the trip are you taking? I'm not familiar with a Budapest to Amsterdam itinerary on GCT. Looking forward to your impressions of GCT after the trip.

It's the Grand European Cruise. It's basically two shorter itineraries mashed together, but it doesn't seem to be a true b-2-b, just one long trip. It's only sailing five times this year and all the sailings are pretty well sold out. It may be long for my first river trip, but I wanted to maximize the reward for enduring the horrors of long-distance flying.

• Members

Hi all -

I reached out to Uniworld on this issue. This is the statement I received:

“For the 2018 season, we’ve been in the process of evaluating and adjusting our Gentle Walkers program with the end goal of updating the program to better serve our guests who seek this option. We understand this process may have not been rolled out as smoothly as we had initially hoped, so we are taking swift action with our onboard teams to make sure our guests cruising with us this year still have slower paced options to choose from.”

Hope this helps!

Hi all -

I reached out to Uniworld on this issue. This is the statement I received:

“For the 2018 season, we’ve been in the process of evaluating and adjusting our Gentle Walkers program with the end goal of updating the program to better serve our guests who seek this option. We understand this process may have not been rolled out as smoothly as we had initially hoped, so we are taking swift action with our onboard teams to make sure our guests cruising with us this year still have slower paced options to choose from.”

Hope this helps!

Interesting...thanks for posting, Chris. I'll be monitoring this situation, since I'm getting older instead of younger. ;) Even as someone who's currently able bodied, there may be situations where I would prefer an easier option and if Uniworld decides to drop the Gentle Walkers program altogether, I may move on to another line that offers something similar to Gentle Walkers.

Roz