Cruise ship innovations

Geoffa30

Interesting albeit not in depth article about cruise ship innovation. Unsurprisingly no mention of Princess.

https://skift.com/2018/05/08/how-cruise-lines-innovate-when-they-keep-building-the-same-type-of-ship/

What innovations might Sky Princess have? :confused: No more shower curtains? Better beer selections? We can live in hope.

Although some people may enjoy the innovations, I find myself asking, "Do I really need a go-kart track?" or a "skydiving experience? Or for that matter a bowling alley or IMAX theater?

The lack of these is one reason I enjoy Princess.

now on a really long cruise, greater than 10 days;p...we might enjoy the IMAX theatre depending on what's showing...

go carts, climbing walls, skydiving, surf pools...not so much

I've throw more than my share of darts...and can hang with a lot of people at the semi-pro level...so that works...if, hell, not if, beers will be involved...:p

Although some people may enjoy the innovations, I find myself asking, "Do I really need a go-kart track?" or a "skydiving experience? Or for that matter a bowling alley or IMAX theater?

The lack of these is one reason I enjoy Princess.

We are with you. We like cruising. We have no need of rock climbing walls, giant water slides, etc. The lack of those things is what contributes to Princess having the demographic that works well for us. I'm glad that other lines have all of these, frankly pretty amazing, features. It gives those who are younger or who have kids options that make them happy and increase their level of enjoyment when they cruise. Perhaps we are "fuddy duddies" but we like Princess the way it is.

Interesting albeit not in depth article about cruise ship innovation. Unsurprisingly no mention of Princess.

https://skift.com/2018/05/08/how-cruise-lines-innovate-when-they-keep-building-the-same-type-of-ship/

What innovations might Sky Princess have? :confused: No more shower curtains? Better beer selections? We can live in hope.

Just look at the deck plans for the Sky and compare to the Regal. You will see a lot of differences have been made to the Sky. What puzzles me is that I can't imagine that the changes were made based upon passenger input. What passenger would want more cabins replacing loungers around the Retreat pool? What passenger would want to change the name of the Horizon Court Buffet to World Marketplace? What passenger would want to replace Crooners with a French Bistro?

We are with you. We like cruising. We have no need of rock climbing walls, giant water slides, etc. The lack of those things is what contributes to Princess having the demographic that works well for us. I'm glad that other lines have all of these, frankly pretty amazing, features. It gives those who are younger or who have kids options that make them happy and increase their level of enjoyment when they cruise. Perhaps we are "fuddy duddies" but we like Princess the way it is.

Even the shower curtains? :eek:

I think it becomes a matter of the sustainability of the cruise lines offering and value. I am an older cruiser and I too, do not need a go-kart track, sky-diving, etc. However, I realize my cruising years will come to an end eventually and the lines future viability is dependent on attracting the next generation of cruisers who will evolve very differently than my generation did. Their likes and interests will vary widely from mine just as mine vary from my parents. While my DW and I are Princess Elite, even today we forgo the "perks" and look to RCCL or NCL when selecting our multi-generational family cruises. Princess will have to innovate eventually if it hopes to preserve its place in the cruise line hierarchy.

Edited by decamp303

No one in my family can use a go-kart track, a climbing wall, or anything that resembles sky diving. Therefore, I have no desire to pay for them so that others who are physically able can enjoy them. An IMAX....if it were there, I'd might take advantage of it, but I really wouldn't miss it if it didn't exist.

Bottom line, these "innovations" don't fit with a large portion of those who cruise Princess, whether due to age or physical condition. I think Princess is right to not pay to have such things incorporated in their ship design. People who want these things on a ship can book on a line that has them.

No one in my family can use a go-kart track' date=' a climbing wall, or anything that resembles sky diving. Therefore, I have no desire to pay for them so that others who are physically able can enjoy them. An IMAX....if it were there, I'd might take advantage of it, but I really wouldn't miss it if it didn't exist.

Bottom line, these "innovations" don't fit with a large portion of those who cruise Princess, whether due to age or physical condition. I think Princess is right to not pay to have such things incorporated in their ship design. People who want these things on a ship can book on a line that has them.[/quote']

I wouldn’t expect or probably want Princess to add go kart tracks etc., but I would like to see other changes, e.g. a craft beer bar, new restaurants, a two deck observation venue. Even changing up the decor would be nice - we really liked the more modern look of World Fresh Marketplace / Planks / Steamers on the Caribbean Princess. It would also be nice to see some different decor in the cabins. And no more shower curtains would be the icing on the cake :D

I wouldn’t expect or probably want Princess to add go kart tracks etc., but I would like to see other changes, e.g. a craft beer bar, new restaurants, a two deck observation venue. Even changing up the decor would be nice - we really liked the more modern look of World Fresh Marketplace / Planks / Steamers on the Caribbean Princess. It would also be nice to see some different decor in the cabins. And no more shower curtains would be the icing on the cake :D

I haven't seen much discussion, if any, regarding craft beer bars. I was on the new NCL Escape in February and they have one. WOW! As for shower curtains, Princess seems not to upgrade their showers as most other lines have done.

Even the shower curtains? :eek:

I have no issues at all with the shower curtains. Simply wet the bottom of the curtain and stick the corners to the edge of the shower and the curtain leaves me in peace. One can also just clip some large binder clips to the bottom of the curtain and it holds the thing in place. I used to do that until I read a post by Pam in CA who gave the tip about simply wetting the bottom of the curtain and sticking it in place. I'm always amazed by the complaints regarding the shower curtains. It's not as if I'm a petite person.

I have no issues at all with the shower curtains. Simply wet the bottom of the curtain and stick the corners to the edge of the shower and the curtain leaves me in peace. One can also just clip some large binder clips to the bottom of the curtain and it holds the thing in place. I used to do that until I read a post by Pam in CA who gave the tip about simply wetting the bottom of the curtain and sticking it in place. I'm always amazed by the complaints regarding the shower curtains. It's not as if I'm a petite person.

Mine is not so much a complaint about the shower curtain but, it’s the 21st Century, surely it’s time for proper shower cubicles on new Princess’ ships?

Mine is not so much a complaint about the shower curtain but, it’s the 21st Century, surely it’s time for proper shower cubicles on new Princess’ ships?

The size parameters of the ships would make retro fitting large enough “cubicles” into the existing space difficult. Unless a “large” portion of cruisers decide to lose a lot of weight or they eliminate toilets. And yes I qualify for the large portion.

The size parameters of the ships would make retro fitting large enough “cubicles” into the existing space difficult. Unless a “large” portion of cruisers decide to lose a lot of weight or they eliminate toilets. And yes I qualify for the large portion.

Which is why I said new ships.

I think cruise ships are loosing sight of the main thing, they are ships surrounded by water, one should be look outwards, not inwards. It like they are becoming a floating theme park, for people who need to be constantly amused......

A cruise is like stopping to smell the flowers, and relax. So if all the mainstream cruise lines head the theme park way, it time to change ships, but lux lines are out of our price range,.... so back to coast and sit and look out to sea....

Maybe I am getting old..but all we want is a balcony, a choice of restaurants, and somewhere to have a pre dinner drinks watching the sea...... it is like getting up in morning and going for a walk round the top deck regardless of the weather before breakfast and looking out to sea.

Cheers Don ( 180 days til at sea again )

Edited by getting older slowly
spelling

From reading the comments on this thread -- and this isn't intended to be incendiary, so please don't take it that way! -- it sounds to me like Princess had made a conscious choice to not court today's cruising families. Maybe they need to finally go all in. Create ships that appeal specifically to a more mature clientele. A sort of mass-market cruise line adult experience, for those of us who don't care to shift toward the "luxury" brands. If Princess can admit to themselves that they're really not a "family cruise line" -- stop trying to be all things to all people -- maybe then they can get serious about providing all the things the people in their market niche desire.

As someone in their 30s, and still physically able to do all the go-karting, sky diving things, I would still much prefer they put in more entertainment in the form of enrichment classes, dancing and music rather than all that. If it was just me in the ship I might enjoy it more, but lining up amongst thousands of people to have a round of go-karts isn’t something I think I would like to spend my cruise time doing?

Words to live by: "If the ship has a water slide, I don't want to sail on her!" I made the mistake of sailing to Bermuda on an NCL ship. Everything about it was terrible.

very good advice... all one wants is that the ship has water around it, and floating.

Cheers Don with a G&T

I'm an older person new to cruising, I use to be a bigger person, (2007 I began walking, walking, walking ....sill walking, walking, walking ....but added aerobics ...etc.); however, if I wanted water slides I'd go to a water park and not a park surrounded by water (Park = ship)

Ramona