Westerdam--Alaska--MDR--Dress Code

WeissGal

Not sure of the dress code. We are a very casual family and don't dress up much and with this being an Alaska cruise with hiking, etc. we are packing mostly jeans, a pair of khakis and collared shirt for the men and dress pants with nice top for the women--which I understand would be OK for gala night(?).

Can we wear jeans to dinner? I am trying not to pack too much as we are already going to be gone for two weeks and for several different climates. I find this a complicated trip to pack!

Thanks!

If you look around the board, there are dozens of threads on the HAL dress code. It is the same dress code on all ships, and world wide.

That being said, for the reasons you state, Alaska seems to be on the more casual end of the scale, but within the dress code. What you are suggesting, as long as the jeans aren't ripped, should be fine.

Not sure of the dress code. We are a very casual family and don't dress up much and with this being an Alaska cruise with hiking, etc. we are packing mostly jeans, a pair of khakis and collared shirt for the men and dress pants with nice top for the women--which I understand would be OK for gala night(?).

Can we wear jeans to dinner? I am trying not to pack too much as we are already going to be gone for two weeks and for several different climates. I find this a complicated trip to pack!

Thanks!

I just left the Westerdam after a fantastic week in Alaska. I generally worn dressy white jeans with a dressy top, including Gala nights. On the last night I wore nicer jeans with a dressy top. You really saw it all in the MDR.

I just left the Westerdam after a fantastic week in Alaska. I generally worn dressy white jeans with a dressy top, including Gala nights. On the last night I wore nicer jeans with a dressy top. You really saw it all in the MDR.

Thank you! This is what I was hoping for as with also spending time in Seattle (I am imagining that it will be warmer) I am not sure how to pack!

I am so excited about this trip, I can hardly sit still!

Thank you! This is what I was hoping for as with also spending time in Seattle (I am imagining that it will be warmer) I am not sure how to pack!

This was my first cruise, and it was so great! I'm starting the last leg of my trip home, but let me know if you have any questions and I'll get back to you. You have so much to look forward to!

The main dining room is set with flowers, white tablecloths, sliver service, china and nice glassware. Will you feel comfortable wearing jeans there every night, or do you want to take it up a notch?

The main dining room is set with flowers, white tablecloths, sliver service, china and nice glassware. Will you feel comfortable wearing jeans there every night, or do you want to take it up a notch?

Well said.

Just FYI regarding the OP's question, HAL asks that jeans not be worn in the MDR on Gala Nights. Some Maitre D's do not enforce this. Some do and will request that a guest change clothes. Wearing a pair of slacks on Gala Nights will avoid the possibility of being sent back.

For men, a collared shirt and trousers will suffice.

I don't hike outdoors but I do participate in other activities (gardening, yard work) when I wear jeans that have seen better days. When I go out to dinner afterward, I change from those jeans to cleaner, newer, more "fashionable " jeans and a shirt or sweater. If I was taking an Alaska cruise and hiking, etc. during the day, I would follow those guidelines there too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know that feeling!! And yes, I'm having packing stress too, but hey, that's a good kind of stress! We go in June. have a great trip!

My wife and I will be doing an Alaskan cruise/tour so I won't be wasting space to pack a suit or sport coat. I always wear a collared shirt and nice slacks to dinner on the cruises I take so if that isn't good enough I'll eat at the Lido.

I’d bring one pair of slacks. If the maitre D decides to not allow it, you’ll miss Gala night just because you didn’t pack one nice pair of pants. You can always find in the Lido for Gala night as they mostly have the same food. I like Gala night in the MDR though so at minimum we bring a pair of nicer pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I will be doing an Alaskan cruise/tour so I won't be wasting space to pack a suit or sport coat. I always wear a collared shirt and nice slacks to dinner on the cruises I take so if that isn't good enough I'll eat at the Lido.

That’s all you need for any night in the MDR. Nice slacks and a collared shirt. You will see a few folks in tuxes and suits. But you’ll fit right in as that’s what most men wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums