Sliding roof over the pool -- when do they use it?

Can't blame HAL for that. :) ......... I, personallly would rather they close the roof than have insect infestation on the ship. We can always move aft and sit at out door sunning area. aft pool

Birds often fly in. Adds to the ambience.

Roz

On one of my Canada/New England repositioning cruises from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale, we had a couple of sparrows around the Lido Pool that flew in before we left Quebec and flew out in Ft. Lauderdale. I joked with my traveling companions that they were just too lazy to fly down for the winter.

On one of my Canada/New England repositioning cruises from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale, we had a couple of sparrows around the Lido Pool that flew in before we left Quebec and flew out in Ft. Lauderdale. I joked with my traveling companions that they were just too lazy to fly down for the winter.

Just two more Québécois heading to Florida for the winter! :cool:

They manage the roof in different ways. Sometimes it is partially closed...almost closed....just a little bit closed....wide open....completely closed.

All this depends on the weather....temperature....wind....rain....showers....whatever the crew thinks is appropriate.

One never knows if it will be open.....or to what degree.

One thing is for sure....The roof is a great feature of HAL ships and it makes the mid-ship area usable in all kinds of weather any place in the world.

So agree with the above. HAL does a wonderful job keeping it opened as needed. :)

If the roof isn't at least partially open we find it very hot and uncomfortable around the Lido pool. We don't cruise to sit around pools, but we sometime eat lunch out at the tables if the Lido is busy.

We always spend as much time in fresh air as possible - don't want to get cruise crud.

Once in the Caribbean, it was pouring down rain and the roof was partially open. When I asked why it wasn't closed, the response was that it was unsafe to go out on the walk-around to operate the closing mechanism. So there was a maintenance crew stationed on both sides of the pool mopping up the rain water.

When choosing a cruise line for a transatlantic, not having a covered "outdoor"space is a deal breaker. No matter how enticing their offers or how many times they send us brochures. Oceania, I am talking to you.

Once in the Caribbean, it was pouring down rain and the roof was partially open. When I asked why it wasn't closed, the response was that it was unsafe to go out on the walk-around to operate the closing mechanism. So there was a maintenance crew stationed on both sides of the pool mopping up the rain water.

Perhaps there was wind, tthe walk-around was wet and likely dangerous for falls. Ratther than risk an injury to crew, how ab out guests get ting off their chairs and going inside the ship, away from the rain? Did that not occur to any of the guests?:loudcry: Did they continue to sit there for long?

I was on a 6-day cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale one time and we had a little stowaway for the entire cruise. I think he liked the dining options! He sort of became a mascot.

Roz

I’m on the Veendam as I type this. We started in Montreal in May 5th. The pool roof was closed the whole time - it was very cold all the way to Boston but at the pool, it was nice. Yesterday, the sea day to Bermuda was cold and foggy.

This morning, Monday the 14th, the roof was opened as we entered the harbor at Hamilton. The weather here is lovely!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nice to hear that Bermuda is, at least today, lovely. I’m boarding the Veendam this Saturday. Supposed to be raining all day in Boston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to hear that Bermuda is, at least today, lovely. I’m boarding the Veendam this Saturday. Supposed to be raining all day in Boston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night's storm was wild, Hope it is more calm over the weekend..

Hope you have a great cruise and enjoy Bermuda.

My guess is they don't operate the roof during a hard rain shower in order to avoid possible electric shock. The roof motors are electric, as are the switches, which are located on the upper deck. They would be operating electric switches in the rain while standing on a wet metal deck.

I would not want to operate them in the rain.

On our recent Koningsdam Transatlantic cruise they kept the dome partially open most days, even when it was chilly and windy outside. I never found it warm enough to get in the pool, so it was disappointing.

My guess is they don't operate the roof during a hard rain shower in order to avoid possible electric shock. The roof motors are electric, as are the switches, which are located on the upper deck. They would be operating electric switches in the rain while standing on a wet metal deck.

I would not want to operate them in the rain.

Have you ever watched "Deadliest Catch"?

Perhaps there was wind, tthe walk-around was wet and likely dangerous for falls. Ratther than risk an injury to crew, how ab out guests get ting off their chairs and going inside the ship, away from the rain? Did that not occur to any of the guests?:loudcry: Did they continue to sit there for long?

I was just reporting that sometimes when passengers think the roof should be closed, it can't be for whatever reason. And safety of the crew is the most important thing.

No one was sitting around the pool. It was in the evening after dinner and there were a few people at the Lido bar, but the pool area was empty. I was walking through to get cookies & milk for a bedtime snack. It was unusual that it was pouring rain and the roof was not closed so I asked about it.

I was just reporting that sometimes when passengers think the roof should be closed, it can't be for whatever reason. And safety of the crew is the most important thing.

No one was sitting around the pool. It was in the evening after dinner and there were a few people at the Lido bar, but the pool area was empty. I was walking through to get cookies & milk for a bedtime snack. It was unusual that it was pouring rain and the roof was not closed so I asked about it.

I see, thank you.