Formal nights - suit and tie? Tux?

amandaepperson21

That's simple. Join the casual crowd & relax instead of lugging all the extra clothing for a very few hours where no one (but yourself) cares how you dress anyway.

Or...Continue to enjoy dressing up!

Either way works on a Princess ship. There should be no confusion.

There shouldn't be any confusion but unfortunately Princess doesn't seem to want to clarify their dress standards that are enforced (or not).

I feel sorry for those people who really felt compelled to bring the extra formal clothing only to find out it's not a necessity & just neat casual clothing would have sufficed after all.

That's not saying shorts, jeans or some polo shirts would be acceptable on formal nights but there is a large selection of casual clothing that will pass muster.

While I agree cruise formal attire is changing, currently the ships post appropriate attire for formal night. Perhaps in the future suggested attire will change. You can take pictures daily and at each port. So buying pictures isn’t the reason for formal night. To me it is celebrating the cruise

Suggested being the key word.

Hmmmmm - don't recall any people in formal Wear blocking the stairway for pictures while in port. You may not want to believe it, but it's not us "slobs" who are paying for all the pictures on formal night.

There shouldn't be any confusion but unfortunately Princess doesn't seem to want to clarify their dress standards that are enforced (or not).

I feel sorry for those people who really felt compelled to bring the extra formal clothing only to find out it's not a necessity & just neat casual clothing would have sufficed after all.

That's not saying shorts, jeans or some polo shirts would be acceptable on formal nights but there is a large selection of casual clothing that will pass muster.

There's plenty who DON'T feel compelled, but know how they wish to dress & choose to kick it up a notch. As to the ship pics. We have both casual shots as well as formal shots. The casuals are mostly on shore excursions, or as was said, the sometimes "goofy" pirate type shots. Afterall we're ALL on vacation & like to do the things we enjoy. You, yourself pretty much showed the two types of clothing that pax may choose to wear, so accept that fact & just let it go.

Edited by keithm
Addtions

May 5-12/18, on the Sapphire, I saw 2 men being turned away at the main dining room on formal night. They were told they needed a suit jacket, even though one of them was dressed quite sharply in a long sleeve dress shirt, tie, vest, dress pants and dress shoes.

Later, I saw head waiter lend 2 men jackets to carry in and place on their chairs so they were allowed to eat in the main dining room on the same formal night.

As if the casual crowd DOESN'T have an agenda? 75% of the pax would prefer casual dress? I doubt that! I've never seen 75% dressed casually except first & last night.

I really wouldn't argue percentages as it's purely guesswork but I'm positive that many people knowing ahead of their cruise that casual clothing on formal nights is acceptable would love to choose a more relaxed vacation.

This is obvious by the number of guys observed dressing down on subsequent formal nights in the DR as soon as they see other guys not following the formal routine.

May 5-12/18, on the Sapphire, I saw 2 men being turned away at the main dining room on formal night. They were told they needed a suit jacket, even though one of them was dressed quite sharply in a long sleeve dress shirt, tie, vest, dress pants and dress shoes.

Later, I saw head waiter lend 2 men jackets to carry in and place on their chairs so they were allowed to eat in the main dining room on the same formal night.

Perhaps you did, but on all my sailings on every Princess ship we've sailed in the past 13 years I've dressed casual on formal night for the DR without any problems.

I'll trust my experience over what others have heard or seen.

If the head waiter would like to carry a jacket to my table for me, fine. He can leave it on the floor along side my chair.

I just read Princess's dress code. I think that it is very clear on what to wear.

I believe Princess needs to enforce the code or change the code. It has to be the same from ship to ship. What ever they choose the code to be.

All depends on the Maîtres D. As I've always said, some are more strict than others. Not being there, I would have let the 2 guys in. They sounded pretty well dressed to me.

I just read Princess's dress code. I think that it is very clear on what to wear.

I believe Princess needs to enforce the code or change the code. It has to be the same from ship to ship. What ever they choose the code to be.

Yes, exactly-the dress code was outlined on a special letter, as well as, the Patters. It is enforced inconsistently from ship to ship.

On our Pacific Coastal a few weeks ago, my sons wore a suit and tie to dinner every night is the MDR. They were feeling very sharp. Our whole party of 3 generations (grandmas, moms and sons) dressed in “elegant cocktail” and we had a lovely time. I’m pretty sure not many others were as formally dressed, but honestly, it didn’t really matter. We had a super great time dressing up.

No, it is not very clear at all.

By the DR door and their website you'll read that a suit & tie is necessary but if you read the Princess's guide of how to dress on formal nights you'll read

"On the informal side of things, both men and women may want to pack away breezy shirts, comfortable sandals and shorts for the day, while they can opt for a sweatshirt or windbreaker to help them stay warm if temperatures drop.

In addition, bringing along a rain jacket, an umbrella and galoshes may be a good idea if rainy weather interrupts any scheduled shore excursions. For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

This is far from clear by anyone's standards.

So all people can assume is that their dress code is not as formal as it appears on the surface....as most of us older Princess cruisers know by experience.

All depends on the Maîtres D. As I've always said, some are more strict than others. Not being there, I would have let the 2 guys in. They sounded pretty well dressed to me.

Your one cruise on Princess (the Regal as I recall) has certainly given you a wide overview of the situation on the Princess fleet.

We have decided to give up on rubber lobster night and just go to the buffet. On Royal class ships this works OK, but I am not so sure on Grand class , the last time we were on the CB, which was before the re-fit, the buffet was terrible.

Your one cruise on Princess (the Regal as I recall) has certainly given you a wide overview of the situation on the Princess fleet.

We have decided to give up on rubber lobster night and just go to the buffet. On Royal class ships this works OK, but I am not so sure on Grand class , the last time we were on the CB, which was before the re-fit, the buffet was terrible.

I certainly do NOT have a wide overview of the fleet. Just one ship(Regal). The same for Celebrity(Eclipse) Oceania(Riviera) Cunard(QM2 & Queen Victoria)Things vary greatly from ship to ship(mostly Class of ship)Food on the Regal was very good to excellent. Best buffet I ever saw on any line, period. We do plan on doing the Regal again in a few years. If the buffet is as good, we'll probably skip the MDR for several nights. Dress style varies as well. The Eclipse, even though they switched to the confusing "Chic" night a few years back tended to be much more formal for a few reasons: Longer cruises(14 days) & the fact a lot of Brits like the ship. I've not done a full 14 day trip on Princess. We did a B2B that was 14 days. Overall it had a decent formal night showing. I wonder how that would compare to the Caribbean Princess & their 14 day "Circle the Caribbean" cruise. As to your "rubber" Lobster, true being from New England, we get the good stuff, but the Lobster aboard the Regal was about the best we've had outside of the Riviera, which had the real cold water lobster. We had a Valentine special in the buffet that had this "Brazilian Pink Lobster". That Lobster was excellent.

No, it is not very clear at all.

By the DR door and their website you'll read that a suit & tie is necessary but if you read the Princess's guide of how to dress on formal nights you'll read

"On the informal side of things, both men and women may want to pack away breezy shirts, comfortable sandals and shorts for the day, while they can opt for a sweatshirt or windbreaker to help them stay warm if temperatures drop.

In addition, bringing along a rain jacket, an umbrella and galoshes may be a good idea if rainy weather interrupts any scheduled shore excursions. For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

This is far from clear by anyone's standards.

So all people can assume is that their dress code is not as formal as it appears on the surface....as most of us older Princess cruisers know by experience.

I am very glad that you printed this. What I read on Princess is different than what you posted.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

This formal definition is clear to me. And is different from where on Princess's web site where you got your info from.

Both of us are right. Princess should have only one definition.

We just love rekindling the romance that brought us together 36 years ago. Nothing does that better than dressing in a long flowing gown and fancy dinner suit, and going out to a special dinner. The only thing missing on a cruise ship is the candlelight.

I am very glad that you printed this. What I read on Princess is different than what you posted.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

This formal definition is clear to me. And is different from where on Princess's web site where you got your info from.

Both of us are right. Princess should have only one definition.

As you can see the Princess dress code is wide open to interpretation depending on your stance. It's no wonder the head waiters have almost given up on a strict enforcement. :D:rolleyes:

Yes, exactly-the dress code was outlined on a special letter, as well as, the Patters. It is enforced inconsistently from ship to ship.

There is the more casual "out" listed in the Princess info. guide. I feel it should be more "visible" but it is there. If you wish to dress up like we do, by all means go for it. The Princess ships are hardly full casual by any means. You'll not be a small minority. Tuxes, however, do not make up a large percentage. Holiday cruises you'll see more tuxes. Other than that figure about 10-25% depending on ship & especially length of cruise.

You'll find longer cruises tend to be dressier(on ALL cruise lines)

Edited by keithm
punctuation.

As you can see the Princess dress code is wide open to interpretation depending on your stance. It's no wonder the head waiters have almost given up on a strict enforcement. :D:rolleyes:

I agree!

We just love rekindling the romance that brought us together 36 years ago. Nothing does that better than dressing in a long flowing gown and fancy dinner suit, and going out to a special dinner. The only thing missing on a cruise ship is the candlelight.

YOu could bring one of these along for your dinner table. Not the same as the real thing, but it might work.

https://www.target.com/p/outdoor-led-motion-flame-resin-candle-threshold-153/-/A-52191245?preselect=51383771#lnk=sametab

I'll have to agree with you on the Caribbean buffet, although it wasn't all that great compared to the Regal/Royal.

Hopefully it's improved since dry dock. Others who have only sailed on a few Princess cruise ships can't begin to know the difference.