Formal nights - suit and tie? Tux?

amandaepperson21

There is the more casual "out" listed in the Princess info. guide. I feel it should be more "visible" but it is there. If you wish to dress up like we do, by all means go for it. The Princess ships are hardly full casual by any means. You'll not be a small minority. Tuxes, however, do not make up a large percentage. Holiday cruises you'll see more tuxes. Other than that figure about 10-25% depending on ship & especially length of cruise.

You'll find longer cruises tend to be dressier(on ALL cruise lines)

You do mean just on the Regal Princess you have cruised on and not on other Princess ships as you have no idea what happens on them. What is your experience on Princess " longer cruises"?

First time cruising Princess this July. Would a black suit and tie be too formal on formal night? Tuxedo? Long evening gown? Maybe in one of the specialty restaurants?

I have read the dress code, but I know the dress code on cruise lines doesn't always align with what people actually wear onboard.

My husband and I enjoy dressing up on formal nights but don't want to look over dressed.

Thanks!

Call Princess direct and ask them.....you will just get a lot of inaccurate opinions on here and falsehoods....for what it is worth (and we mostly do 20 and 30 day cruises) you can get in the dining room on Formal Nights in slacks, a dress shirt and tie....and if not complain to the Hotel Manager or Passenger services desk....that will usually get you in if staff is changing Princess Dress Code SUGGESTIONS!!! clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

Call Princess direct and ask them.....you will just get a lot of inaccurate opinions on here and falsehoods....for what it is worth (and we mostly do 20 and 30 day cruises) you can get in the dining room on Formal Nights in slacks, a dress shirt and tie....and if not complain to the Hotel Manager or Passenger services desk....that will usually get you in if staff is changing Princess Dress Code SUGGESTIONS!!! ;)

After seeing 2 men without jackets get turned away; headwaiter came over to man after that and offered him a waiter's jacket to carry on his arm and place on the back of the seat during formal night.

So complaining on the spot might work.

My preference will be specialty restaurants on formal nights, since e'd rather not take the extra clothes.

Call Princess direct and ask them.....you will just get a lot of inaccurate opinions on here and falsehoods....for what it is worth (and we mostly do 20 and 30 day cruises) you can get in the dining room on Formal Nights in slacks, a dress shirt and tie....and if not complain to the Hotel Manager or Passenger services desk....that will usually get you in if staff is changing Princess Dress Code SUGGESTIONS!!! clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

You are correct, you do get a lot of opinions on here, especially since each ship and dining room seems to be inconsistent in how they chose to enforce the dress codes so there are so many different experiences that posters have seen.

It’s also true that if you call Princess directly, you will get different answers to any question you ask!

My preference will be specialty restaurants on formal nights, since e'd rather not take the extra clothes.

I think we have done 1 formal night in the last 10 years. LIke you, our preference is to the speciality dining or simply grab a slice of pizza.

Husband wears a suit and tie to work every day so has zero desire to dress like that while on vacation!

Basically there are only two real experiences (discounting a few people who have seen the extremes ie shorts on a formal night.)

1. Dressing up in suit, tie, tux or formal gown.

2. Not dressing up going casual (not sloppy) and still get into the DR on formal nights.

They can call Princess & get the typical canned answer

or

believe actual experiences from people who have sailed Princess ships many times over.

I think we have done 1 formal night in the last 10 years. LIke you, our preference is to the speciality dining or simply grab a slice of pizza.

Husband wears a suit and tie to work every day so has zero desire to dress like that while on vacation!

My husband also wears a suit daily- but no way would we ever eat "pizza" or any second rate meal on our vacation. Getting dressed for dinner is a small price to pay for enjoying what should be a good meal and fun evening.

I wouldn't allow my clothes to prevent me from enjoying the evening. What is the big deal?

I have spoken to people who do not dress, but their reasons are- my good clothes no longer fit me and I do not want to purchase larger sizes-also I do not want to pay for luggage on the airplane- But if you have a jacket and tie- just remove it after dinner. I do not understand the big deal- but that is me.

My husband also wears a suit daily- but no way would we ever eat "pizza" or any second rate meal on our vacation. Getting dressed for dinner is a small price to pay for enjoying what should be a good meal and fun evening.

I wouldn't allow my clothes to prevent me from enjoying the evening. What is the big deal?

I have spoken to people who do not dress, but their reasons are- my good clothes no longer fit me and I do not want to purchase larger sizes-also I do not want to pay for luggage on the airplane- But if you have a jacket and tie- just remove it after dinner. I do not understand the big deal- but that is me.

I don’t think that the Crown Grill is a second rate meal, I find it much better than the MDR! I’m happy to pick one of my nights there to be formal night on a cruise. Since I drive to the port, I don’t need to pay for luggage and our clothes fit just fine. It’s just our choice and I always have a ton of fun while cruising!

As I have said before, what’s great about Princess is choices. I have as much fun dining up on top deck with a nice glass of wine laughing with friends as I do going to the Crown grill for dinner. I didn’t touch the MDR on the Regal in December with the exception of the Wine dinner and didn’t set foot in there on the Crown in February. I’m lucky that I get to go out to some of the best restaurants here in Miami, just don’t find a need to spend 2 hours every night having dinner while on vacation.

On MOST ships, I would also not call the Buffet in the evenings 'second rate'.

Not quite the MDR, but I am sure one could have a nice meal there.

One does not have to do pizza or hamburgers.

If one chooses to limit their attire to old jeans and a T-shirt... (and cannot even manage slacks or a nicer looking shirt - which is really all that seems to be required), then that is their choice. If this also limits other things in life, such as dining options, then, that person is making that choice. I just don't get the whole entitlement attitude.

On MOST ships, I would also not call the Buffet in the evenings 'second rate'.

It is second rate when you compare the Buffet food to what they serve in the DR on formal nights. It's the main thing that attracts us to go there- certainly not the atmosphere.

Not quite the MDR, but I am sure one could have a nice meal there.

One does not have to do pizza or hamburgers.

If one chooses to limit their attire to old jeans and a T-shirt... (and cannot even manage slacks or a nicer looking shirt - which is really all that seems to be required), then that is their choice. If this also limits other things in life, such as dining options, then, that person is making that choice. I just don't get the whole entitlement attitude.

If they would serve the same entrees in the buffet we would never consider the DR on formal night.

You do mean just on the Regal Princess you have cruised on and not on other Princess ships as you have no idea what happens on them. What is your experience on Princess " longer cruises"?

So we did a 14 day trip on Regal. Big deal. Do you think all the ships are the same? Well, they're not. I doubt the Regal is the same & offers the same trip as the Crown Princess, now does it? We did several trips on the Eclipse. Certainly NOT the same as the smaller Celebrity ships. When we do a cruise line we usually stick to one ship if the cruise was nice. We liked the Oceania Riviera & are doing another 14 day cruise next Jan. We do plan to try Princess again & prefer the Royal class ships. So what other cruise lines have you tried besides Princess? If any.

But you continually state this happens on Princess SHIPS when you post. That gives the impression that you know what is going on through out the Princess fleet. What happens on Eclipse or Celebrity ships or n Cunard or the Oceania Rivera is not what happens on Princess SHIPS which is what people are asking and talking about.

By the way I have tried one Carnival cruise ship which we did not like. I do not go o the Carnival boards and try to insinuate how things are done on those SHIPS. We prefer Princess SHIPS and have made multiple cruises on various SHIPS. So I think I have more experience with this cruise line then someone who has only done a 14 day cruise on a single ship.

Will we try other lines someday, probably but until then we will stay with Princes.

I did acknowledge that it might not quite be the MDR....But, I would still hardly call it second rate.

I will not change my viewpoint that the idea that one should be served filet and lobster in jeans or t-shirts (not even slacks and a nicer shirt) is very very much an 'entitlement' thing. No question to me in my mind. No question at all.

I did acknowledge that it might not quite be the MDR....But, I would still hardly call it second rate.

I will not change my viewpoint that the idea that one should be served filet and lobster in jeans or t-shirts (not even slacks and a nicer shirt) is very very much an 'entitlement' thing. No question to me in my mind. No question at all.

I do not necessarily agree that one should wear nicer clothes and get better food- IMO not at all an entitlement thing. However, I see it as the old saying- cutting your nose to spite your face. I pay a decent amount of money and expect to enjoy all of the perks I paid for- I enjoy the choice- we dine in some of the finest restaurants in NY so cruise fare overall isn't really good-we do not sail for food alone- but why not avail yourself of all options?

We love to do the Tux's. were in our late 20's and I'm early 30's. i've noticed the younger generation and much older are generally dressed more formal, people in their 40's-60's tend to be less formal, mostly dark suits or sport jackets. We really enjoy the formal night, and the complimentary boutonnieres on formal night when we do a suite.

Can not be overdressed on Formal Night.

I don't know..Saw a guy in top hat & tails. I wasn't sure whether to call Batman & let him know the Penguin was loose again. LOL!. It was, I thought a bit over the top. Even among tuxes, that outfit really stood out. This was on Cunard & not Princess, by the way.

We love to do the Tux's. were in our late 20's and I'm early 30's. i've noticed the younger generation and much older are generally dressed more formal, people in their 40's-60's tend to be less formal, mostly dark suits or sport jackets. We really enjoy the formal night, and the complimentary boutonnieres on formal night when we do a suite.

You both look pretty dapper in your "icon". Have a blast, you both will not be out of style!

Thanks! That was taken in the crown grille on the regal.

We liked the Regal. Really nice ship. The LGBTQ events were well attended, which we also enjoyed. We had a group of about 10 that went often to Sabatini's.