How to get the most in laundry bags

Mikalen

I read on her a couple of months ago that there is a way to pack the laundry bags to get the most in them. (the bags you send out during the cruise) Does anyone happen to have this information. We are going on an Alaskan cruise in July so will need to wear many layers.

My wife can pack a laundry bag so full that it becomes heavy. First, if you have the paper laundry bag, use two of them to double strength it. Then roll your clothes...tight..Place them in one at a time tightly against each other. You can put a bunch in like that, with it running out over the top.

I might add...Alaska in July can be any kind of weather including warm and sunny. So you may not need to wear some of the cloths you bring.

Real simple. Ask the steward for an extra pillow case. Put the pillow case inside the paper bad and over stuff it, even over the top of the paper bag. Even if the bag rips the pillow case is intact. We have done this on the our last 5 cruises on the advice from our steward.

Both the Star (T/A) and Gem were using the same old paper bag for laundry services, whether it's the Platinum or stuff-all-you-can-fit special ... at least for non-suite/non-Haven staterooms.

We learned about the pillowcase trick from our Room Steward years ago too - probably "could" ask for a nylon laundry bag from RS instead. We've also used a plastic bag from some of the major hotel chain's branded bags as it's often a good fit, as a "liner" inside the NCL paper bag.

Carry a dozen large rubber bands, roll up those pants/slacks/jeans tightly & put a rubber band over it for compression, then stuff it full, use a t-shirt as a flap to "close" the opening end of the paper/nylon bag to keep items from falling out.

Remember to do an itemized count for the laundry slip to avoid leaving the items out again for a proper count.

I read on her a couple of months ago that there is a way to pack the laundry bags to get the most in them. (the bags you send out during the cruise) Does anyone happen to have this information. We are going on an Alaskan cruise in July so will need to wear many layers.

I roll clothing to take less room and bring masking tape to keep the bag from ripping and contents from falling out

Roll, roll, roll. Tightly. I have been told by our NCL cabin stewards that they do not care if the bag is ripped, overflowing etc. I have reinforced with a small roll of duct tape too. Can't remember but my previous record was 50+ items, most of which was a lot of socks and underwear. You can get those down in the crevices. Cargo shorts and polo shirts take up a lot of room. It is also annoying to fill out the laundry form only to realize you could get a few more things in the bag so I keep a tally going and then fill out the form.

I only pack clothing that will roll up tightly in the laundry bag. On our last cruise, our room steward made the sound of a fork lift whenever he picked up my laundry bag. Feel free to ask your steward if they are running the special even if it isn’t advertised and No heavy jeans. We got the special 4 times on a 14 day cruise and it was only advertised twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Go to Marine Corps basic training and learn how to pack properly. :)

I had read about the 19.95 promotion here on these boards, and had to call to ask about it. At first they told me no, I had to fill out the form and pay $3/sock or whatever the ludicrous charge is. Then they changed their mind when I pressed them and they agreed to the 19.95 promotion. Told me to just write that price on top of the inventory form when submitting it and we would get the correct pricing. About a day or 2 later we finally saw an advertisement for the service in our room, after we had already submitted our laundry. So yes, they have it - but you may need to ask and demand it.

We were told it would take 3 days to get our stuff back, but it was folded neatly in a wicker basket the following afternoon when we returned from port. I think we squished 10 shirts, 12 pairs of socks & undies each, 2 pairs of my MIL pants and a light sweater. Since our trip in total was 15 days long, being able to do this midway through our journey for just $20 was a life (and suitcase weight) saver. As others have said, do an inventory first on notepaper, roll each item tightly and put them in one at a time, then add more if you've got space and dirty bits.