To Those that have been to Bermuda before.........

allycat1964

We are all set for a cruise on the Escape in June of 2019 to Bermuda. This will be our 3rd cruise. I am the only one that is totally excited about it.....the others not so much! Now that we have booked the cruise my DH is worried about getting around and afraid we jumped the gun. We like to see as much as we possibly can and is is fearful that it is going to be too hard to get around and see everything we would like to see and have it be affordable if you will. Can some of you that have been to Bermuda before please share with me your experiences and the things you did and how you got around. Thanks so much! I appreciate any feedback!

Of the 13 cruises under our belts, Bermuda is by far our favorite island. The beauty, the feeling of safety and freedom to explore. The ease of getting around the island,the cleanliness, the beaches, restaurants, locals, I hope you love it as much as we do. Heading there in two weeks on the Escape. Love Bermuda.

I just got off the Escape yesterday and had a wonderful time. If you ever cruised the Breakaway, the Escape is 10x better.

We have been to Bermuda 3 times already and still had not seen it all until this past cruise.

If it's your first time in Bermuda, I HIGHLY recommend reserving a spot on the Scenic Road Tour with GAR Tours. It's a 5-hour (air-conditioned!) mini-bus tour with multiple stops that takes you to all the highlights of the entire island and allows for ample time at each stop to explore and take pictures. We learned all about the Bermuda lifestyle and the tour guide Stan, even drove past his home and added his personal anecdotes. We skipped the crowds at Horseshoe Bay and he took us to Warwick Long Bay, which is right next door but significantly less crowded. We had time to walk on the pink sand and dip our toes in the water. An added plus is that we stopped in St. George for an hour to give us some time to get a bite to eat and explore a bit.

The only caveat is that the tours need a minimum of 8 people. I coordinated my group through the CC Roll Call and then met them at the CC Meet & Greet onboard.

You'll love Bermuda, as it is such a beautiful island. The people are friendly and courteous and they keep their island paradise clean and safe.

http://www.gartours.com/tours.html

Of the 13 cruises under our belts, Bermuda is by far our favorite island. The beauty, the feeling of safety and freedom to explore. The ease of getting around the island,the cleanliness, the beaches, restaurants, locals, I hope you love it as much as we do. Heading there in two weeks on the Escape. Love Bermuda.

This is so very helpful. I think my DH was afraid that it ISN'T EASY to get around. We have been on the Escape once and I cannot wait to get back on her next summer. Thanks so very much for your positive response. I just know everyone is going to love it there!

We've been to Bermuda several times and though not for everybody; we've always rented a moped and went all over the island with no issues.[emoji16]

Enjoy your trip[emoji41][emoji568]

Thank you so much! I think DH was worried about our girls on mopeds.....we shall see! :) I just can't wait for next June!

I just got off the Escape yesterday and had a wonderful time. If you ever cruised the Breakaway, the Escape is 10x better.

We have been to Bermuda 3 times already and still had not seen it all until this past cruise.

If it's your first time in Bermuda, I HIGHLY recommend reserving a spot on the Scenic Road Tour with GAR Tours. It's a 5-hour (air-conditioned!) mini-bus tour with multiple stops that takes you to all the highlights of the entire island and allows for ample time at each stop to explore and take pictures. We learned all about the Bermuda lifestyle and the tour guide Stan, even drove past his home and added his personal anecdotes. We skipped the crowds at Horseshoe Bay and he took us to Warwick Long Bay, which is right next door but significantly less crowded. We had time to walk on the pink sand and dip our toes in the water. An added plus is that we stopped in St. George for an hour to give us some time to get a bite to eat and explore a bit.

The only caveat is that the tours need a minimum of 8 people. I coordinated my group through the CC Roll Call and then met them at the CC Meet & Greet onboard.

You'll love Bermuda, as it is such a beautiful island. The people are friendly and courteous and they keep their island paradise clean and safe.

It is the things that you mention about the island and the people there that drew us to this cruise. Not to mention having been on the Escape before and loving her......enough said. I just think my DH had some worry that it was not going to be easy to get around like he is used to doing. Everyone is helping to prove this wrong. Thanks so much!

We are all set for a cruise on the Escape in June of 2019 to Bermuda. This will be our 3rd cruise. I am the only one that is totally excited about it.....the others not so much! Now that we have booked the cruise my DH is worried about getting around and afraid we jumped the gun. We like to see as much as we possibly can and is is fearful that it is going to be too hard to get around and see everything we would like to see and have it be affordable if you will. Can some of you that have been to Bermuda before please share with me your experiences and the things you did and how you got around. Thanks so much! I appreciate any feedback!

We have been to Bermuda many times.It is our favorite island .Our preference is to dock in Hamilton .We walk as much as possible there and go by ferry or bus every place else.

we've been twice on a cruise and once for work. I love it. Don't try and see everything, just really enjoy what you do see. On the first trip we had just over 2.5 days. We bought a 2 day transportation pass and decided to be safe timing wise and enjoy what there was to see at the dockyard on our last day. We did ferry to Hamilton day 1. St George's was the plan for day 2, but hubby hurt his foot day 1 and we couldn't do the walking tour. Instead we decided to get off the ship and roam around. At the end of the dock a taxi driver asked if we wanted a tour. It was great. He took us all over and was very responsive in asking what we were interested in and taking us to things we would like.

I agree, with 16 cruises behind us, Bermuda is our favorite place we have cruised. The first time we took the bus everywhere. It was a great way to get around, but try to stay off it when school gets out for the day. The kids ride the buses and it took forever for us to get around. On our second trip, we rented scooters. Although renting scooters is highly discouraged, we had a blast on them going all over the island. Lots of traffic, on the opposite side of the road, it was scary at first, but we got the hang of it. It was very windy and rainy also, but we trudged on! Can't wait to go back!

I am also just off the Escape from Bermuda....this was probably about my 6th or 7th time there. Bermuda is one of our favorite places, clean, safe and beautiful.

I would never recommend the scooters to anyone, unless you are a seasoned motorcycle driver, then maybe...the scooters look like alot of fun, but once you see them on the real roads, they are extremely dangerous....roads are very narrow and traffic moves very fast....

Bermuda has a very nice and efficient public transportation system consisting of ferries and buses.

Our typical 3 day Bermuda stay usually goes like this: day 1, get a one-day transit pass ($19) for unlimited use of the buses and ferries. We will ferry over to Hamilton, hop a bus to the BAMZ, bus back to Hamilton for some shopping, ferry back to the ship for dinner, ferry back to Hamilton for Harbor Nights (Wed) and ferry back to the ship....day 2, take the complimentary ncl ferry to St. George for the day...lots to do there, including our favorite hideaway beach, Tobacco Bay....day 3, we stay right at Dockyard....near the ship

Hi! I was wondering why you liked the Escape better? I was in the Breakaway before and taking the Escape this summer and really excited!

We first went to Bermuda back in the mid-70s. A lot has changed since then. In those days there were a couple of large, very nice department stores in downtown Hamilton. They have either down-sized or closed. There used to be several beautiful liquor stores on Front St. Changes by U.S. Customs has killed those.

The biggest change seems to be the traffic. In the 70s Bermuda was pretty laid back.We rented a pedal to start moped and rode it all over the island. Easy-peasey!

On a much later visit the mopeds had been upgraded to scooters. Heavier, more speed and different controls. Tried one at the rental place and decided against it.

DON'T DO IT!! The hospital makes a killing, so to speak, from crash victims.

On our first trip we went into the hotel bar one evening before dinner. There was a tall, nice looking woman in a long white dress with a crutch and bruised up face.

She had gotten within 100 yards of the hotel when a truck passed her. She ran off the side of the road and hit a large rock.

• Haha 1

Tell DH to relax...lol. We have been to Bermuda 4 times. It's by far our favorite island (out of about 10 we've been to) there are cabs, mini buses, regular buses, and ferrys to get around. It's a great island, and I'm sure you will all love it.

Bermuda's wonderful. We went six years ago on a whim, since the price was right and we wanted a quick vacation; didn't know much about the place. We've been back nearly every year since. We were just on the Escape last month to Bermuda, and are hoping we get to go again before the season's out.

Bermuda is wonderful and My husband and I go back again and again! Dockyard is fun and easy to explore, save that for your last day because you want to be back at the ship on time. There are ferries that go to Hamilton and St. George’s, actually a free one from NCL that goes to St. George’s. You must go to Horseshoe Bay Beach, it is beautiful and clean, and the best way to get there is an air-conditioned mini-van which is faster than the bus, picks you up in front of the ship and takes you right to the bottom of the hill and picks you up there as well and is only $7 each way, I believe.

DO NOT, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT believe for one moment that renting a scooter is safe or wise whether you are a seasoned motorcyclist or not. We are, and we still had a dire wreck. Luckily we escaped with about 60 stitches in my husband’s elbow and many scrapes and bruises, but others have been far less fortunate. Imagine having to airlift one of your children home. Or worse. It happens. They drive on the left so everything is unfamiliar to a US driver, there is no wiggle room on their roads, and one little patch of sand and it is all over. Do not do it and do not let your family do it, make a pact. That being said, there are beautiful bicycle trails and mountain bikes and motorized bikes to rent. There are little Renault Twizzy cars for two you can rent. I haven’t done it so I can’t recommend them, but they look somewhat less deadly than a scooter.

We have rented a Boston Whaler from Somerset Watersports that made exploring a blast and fairly safe from the water, snorkel, explore a shipwreck, visit some deserted beaches, feed fish, see sea turtles up close, eat lunch by pulling up to the dock at Woody’s and get a fresh wahoo fish sandwich, go under the world’s smallest drawbridge and have an unforgettable day that will stay with you forever. You will all love Bermuda. Have a great vacation!

• Like 1

I am also just off the Escape from Bermuda....this was probably about my 6th or 7th time there. Bermuda is one of our favorite places, clean, safe and beautiful.

I would never recommend the scooters to anyone, unless you are a seasoned motorcycle driver, then maybe...the scooters look like alot of fun, but once you see them on the real roads, they are extremely dangerous....roads are very narrow and traffic moves very fast....

Bermuda has a very nice and efficient public transportation system consisting of ferries and buses.

Our typical 3 day Bermuda stay usually goes like this: day 1, get a one-day transit pass ($19) for unlimited use of the buses and ferries. We will ferry over to Hamilton, hop a bus to the BAMZ, bus back to Hamilton for some shopping, ferry back to the ship for dinner, ferry back to Hamilton for Harbor Nights (Wed) and ferry back to the ship....day 2, take the complimentary ncl ferry to St. George for the day...lots to do there, including our favorite hideaway beach, Tobacco Bay....day 3, we stay right at Dockyard....near the ship

This sounds like a good plan. It's been eons since I have been to Bermuda. I was worried we would get bored, but this plan sounds really good.

Ditto

As a seasoned rider of 30 plus years you couldn't pay me enough to rent a scooter. The roads are narrow, winding and local traffic moves pretty fast. We have been to Bermuda twice and each time we saw people coming back to the ship via an ambulance. One couple had to fly home after they crashed and had broken bones. To me its just not worth it

• Like 1

Love....LOve.....LOVE Bermuda. It’s one of my favorite ports.

As mentioned, public transport (both land and water) are efficient and relatively inexpensive. Scooter travel is also fun.

I like the itinerary because you are never rushed to go anywhere or to do anything.

People are wonderful. Scenery is beautiful (obviously). Just a great port and itinerary.

Have fun!

We just got back from our first cruise to Bermuda and I found it terribly easy to get around on. We did it all on our own, no excursions so I'll post my itinerary for you.

Wednesday 0800 Arrive Royal Naval Dockyard

Visitor Information Center, Buy 2-day transit passes. $31.50

Take ferry to Hamilton

Bus 10 to Aquarium/Zoo, 20 minutes. BAMZ $10, closes 1600

Bus 10 or 11 to Swizzle Inn/Grotto Bay/Blue Hole, 10 minutes

Lunch at Swizzle Inn

Kayak Blue Hole, $20 for 2 hours

Bus 10 or 11 to St George's

Ferry back to Dockyard, 1545 or 1745

Ferry back to Hamilton, pickup at 1845, return at 2100 or 2230

Harbor Nights 1900-2200

Thursday Bus 7 or 8 to Church Bay, swim/snorkel (we missed this stop but I think the surf would have been too rough that day to snorkel)

Walk to Gibbs Hill lighthouse

Walk to Horseshoe Bay, swim/snorkel

Bus 7 to Botanical Gardens, 20 minutes. (We skipped this but could have gone, we had time)

Bus 1, 2 or 7 to Hamilton

Lunch at Art Mel’s Spicy Dicy, St Monica’s Rd, 20 minute walk

Gosling’s Distillery, 9 Dundonald St, closes at 1700

Ferry back to Dockyard, 1630 or 1800

Friday 0845 NCL ferry to St George

Walk to Unfinished Church

Walk to Tobacco Bay and snorkel, walk around St George

1315 NCL ferry return to Dockyard, All Aboard 1430

• Thanks 1

Ditto

As a seasoned rider of 30 plus years you couldn't pay me enough to rent a scooter. The roads are narrow, winding and local traffic moves pretty fast. We have been to Bermuda twice and each time we saw people coming back to the ship via an ambulance. One couple had to fly home after they crashed and had broken bones. To me its just not worth it

This is excellent information and we truly appreciate your help. My daughters will just be 18 when we travel. They are new drivers and I would never subject them to any harm, or myself for that matter. I have heard other horror stories so we will not be doing any scooters for sure. Thanks again!

Ally

We just got back from our first cruise to Bermuda and I found it terribly easy to get around on. We did it all on our own, no excursions so I'll post my itinerary for you.

Wednesday 0800 Arrive Royal Naval Dockyard

Visitor Information Center, Buy 2-day transit passes. $31.50

Take ferry to Hamilton

Bus 10 to Aquarium/Zoo, 20 minutes. BAMZ $10, closes 1600

Bus 10 or 11 to Swizzle Inn/Grotto Bay/Blue Hole, 10 minutes

Lunch at Swizzle Inn

Kayak Blue Hole, $20 for 2 hours

Bus 10 or 11 to St George's

Ferry back to Dockyard, 1545 or 1745

Ferry back to Hamilton, pickup at 1845, return at 2100 or 2230

Harbor Nights 1900-2200

Thursday Bus 7 or 8 to Church Bay, swim/snorkel (we missed this stop but I think the surf would have been too rough that day to snorkel)

Walk to Gibbs Hill lighthouse

Walk to Horseshoe Bay, swim/snorkel

Bus 7 to Botanical Gardens, 20 minutes. (We skipped this but could have gone, we had time)

Bus 1, 2 or 7 to Hamilton

Lunch at Art Mel’s Spicy Dicy, St Monica’s Rd, 20 minute walk

Gosling’s Distillery, 9 Dundonald St, closes at 1700

Ferry back to Dockyard, 1630 or 1800

Friday 0845 NCL ferry to St George

Walk to Unfinished Church

Walk to Tobacco Bay and snorkel, walk around St George

1315 NCL ferry return to Dockyard, All Aboard 1430

Wow, what a full trip and it sounded totally awesome. I can't wait to share this with my DH. What was your favorite place to snorkel? This is what I am wanting to go to Bermuda most for, the snorkeling. My DH and I went on the Escape last summer to Honduras, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel. The snorkeling in Honduras was awesome but it was too windy that day. We had better luck in Cozumel. I cannot wait to hit the beaches in Bermuda. Tell me IndyKitten.......I have to ask, you must be from Indiana? I grew up in Northern Indiana.....a little town called LaPorte! Just had to ask! :) Thanks so much for all your great information. It is truly appreciated!

Ally