When does Southwest open bookings?

S.S.Oceanlover

Any evidence of this? I fly 110k-120k BIS miles each year (and have for the last decade) and have never, ever seen a universal “best time” to book.

I was speaking for Southwest

Sent from my iPad using Forums

SouthWest is our go to airline because anymore they are the only one that is remotely affordable, that being said, we got an excellent price on Delta to San Juan in September. Cheaper and much better times. Maybe we just got lucky, maybe the airlines are starting to wise up.

Any evidence of this? I fly 110k-120k BIS miles each year (and have for the last decade) and have never, ever seen a universal “best time” to book.

Nothing is set in stone the Airlines don’t play fair.

I fly SWA on average about 1.5 times a week but sometimes have to fly United based on schedules and destinations. I cant figure out how their pricing is determined. I can see a flight for $700 bucks one minute and refresh and it will be $300 the next minute and then back up to $700 the very next minute. I bought a ticket last week for $650 bucks, went back two hours later and the same flight was $350 bucks. Its like a random number generator at times.

I fly SWA on average about 1.5 times a week but sometimes have to fly United based on schedules and destinations. I cant figure out how their pricing is determined. I can see a flight for $700 bucks one minute and refresh and it will be $300 the next minute and then back up to $700 the very next minute. I bought a ticket last week for $650 bucks, went back two hours later and the same flight was $350 bucks. Its like a random number generator at times.

I hope you grabbed the $300 credit before the price went back up.

Bill

The best part about Southwest to me is that I can make changes if the flight cost or my situation changes and I'm not "out" any extra. For my son's college orientation, booking from SLC-DAL the cheapest flight by about $100 was a long one with a layover. Some random time later, I checked again and could now get the direct flight was the same price that I'd previously booked at. Quick change and no additional fees.

Booked one flight on points and kept checking and one random morning I got a lower point price. No extra fees and I got my points back. (I don't know how other airlines do it because I've never flown with them enough to use points. Work generally used SW.)

DW and I prefer SWA and so far, have managed to get good deals out of St Louis. The bags flying free have been a money saver compared to American, Delta and United. I book with points, generally keep an eye out for further discounts and SWA has been great at honoring the lower prices/points.

We are looking to book flights to San Juan on Southwest Airlines for December.

They open up their flights on Thursday for December. Is there a certain time of the day that they usually do this or could it be at any time?

Thanks

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Oooops! Didn't read post carefully. Never mind.

Edited by Rala
misinformation...sorry.

I thought that if it is less than 24 hours since purchase, you can cancel without penalty and rebook.

I thought that if it is less than 24 hours since purchase, you can cancel without penalty and rebook.

I'm not sure that policy is offered by Southwest.

With Southwest, you can cancel up to some short time before the flight (30 minutes?) and get a full credit for that flight to be used anytime within a year after that flight was first purchased.

It's federal law that US airlines must either (a) offer a free 24-hour hold, or (b) offer a free 24-hour cancellation. This isn't Southwest or anyone being nice, it's the law

https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/Notice_24hour_hold_final20130530_0.pdf

I am flying Southwest to Seattle in August for my Alaskan cruise. The Best thing about Southwest, they will adjust your fare and give you a credit. I have adjust twice in about a month and have a 69.40 credit for a future flight. Delta I know for a fact will not do this.

Sorry I can’t speak for AA have not had to book them in 12 to 13 years.[emoji2][emoji41]

I’m an AA guy and I really can’t understand heavy (10 segments a month) business travelers who do the SW thing.

If you’re a moderate traveler, I can certainly see it, but if you’re traveling that much dealing with out-of-the way airports, no First class to upgrade to and no assigned seat...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m an AA guy and I really can’t understand heavy (10 segments a month) business travelers who do the SW thing.

If you’re a moderate traveler, I can certainly see it, but if you’re traveling that much dealing with out-of-the way airports, no First class to upgrade to and no assigned seat...

What out of the way airports are speaking of Dallas Love field, Houston Hobby, Chicago Midway, Fort Lauderdale?

It's federal law that US airlines must either (a) offer a free 24-hour hold, or (b) offer a free 24-hour cancellation. This isn't Southwest or anyone being nice, it's the law

https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/Notice_24hour_hold_final20130530_0.pdf

Thanks. That's what I thought. I knew SW gave those LUV vouchers, and thought that might be a way of getting around it. I know that they don't allow the comparison websites to include their rates.

On ‘opening day’ I’ve seen the fares start to post as early as shortly after 6:00 AM EST.

I need to look tomorrow for early December travel for land-based trip.

SWA was originally thought to include Hawaii in this schedule release - for late fall/early 2019.

I am holding off booking a Hawaiian cruise (spring 2019) since I would like to use my points on SWA via connecting to one of the four gateway cities previously announced.

Planes have been delivered & testing. My understanding is things have been pushed back after the issues they experienced. Flew them shortly afterwards, no problems whatsoever BTW. Glad our flight wasn’t cancelled for inspection purposes.

Be sure to read the fine print to that rule now you know how Southwest does it.

Alternatively, if the carrier is willing to waive the change fee, it does not need to disclose the 24-hour reservation requirement. Otherwise, under section 259.5(b)(4), the carrier should provide the option of cancelling the original itinerary without a change or cancellation fee and booking the desired itinerary. The carrier is entitled to charge any difference in fares between the two itineraries in such a case. If a consumer seeks to cancel a portion of a roundtrip itinerary, the price of which is conditioned upon the purchase of a roundtrip ticket, carriers may decline to honor the 24-hour reservation requirement unless the consumer agrees to cancel the entire itinerary.

Schedule started to slowly load @ 6:30 am. Just able to finalize my plans.

HNL not on schedule, yet

We are currently accepting air reservations through January 6, 2019. On June 28, 2018 we will open our schedule for sale through March 6, 2019. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

Just booked ours for Thanksgiving week.

The poster who said wanna get away fares are nonexistent that week was right on. We got good fares into FLL. No such luck on the return flight. But it’s ok. It’s the only time our granddaughter can make it.

I got ours today too. $545 today for 2 nonstop to SJU with free bags from Baltimore.

AA was $978 for 2 with baggage fees from our home airport of Philly.

I'll drive 2 hours to save $400.

Good flight times too!

Bill