HAL getting rid of Park West art auctions, will Princess follow suit?

CineGraphic

Sell it to the person that offered you $80, then run like hell.
If it was so easy to sell a painting, then Park West wouldn't need to pay the cruise lines thousands to hire their floor space, huge salaries and commissions to their employees and free "champagne" to the passengers who gave their precious time to attend the art auction!

On our last cruise, the "paintings" in the art gallery were horrible, very commercialized, and very over-priced. There was nothing interesting or original, just things that looked like "schlock."

So just who the heck IS this new artist? I haven't seen any artwork by "schlock." :confused:

Oh, wait... now that I think about it... all of the Park West "art" is "schlock." ;)

So just who the heck IS this new artist? I haven't seen any artwork by "schlock." :confused:

Oh, wait... now that I think about it... all of the Park West "art" is "schlock." ;)

Schlock is the 2nd cousin of Dreck

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

I hate getting those ads in my mail box. Piles of them end up in the cabin stewards garbage. I feel sorry for them having to dump the wastebasket filled with all those pieces of paper trying to get money out of you. The spa, jewelry, art auction, your feet, sick of Effy ads, on and on. Waste of paper and ink.

Totally agree ..what a waste!

However, if the revenue gained by Cruiseline from those who don't mind spending money on overpriced 'art', 'fine jewellery' etc , keeps the price down for the rest of us..then please continue!

I would not dream of buying either aboard a cruise ship..but that is my personal choice.

Totally agree ..what a waste!

However, if the revenue gained by Cruiseline from those who don't mind spending money on overpriced 'art', 'fine jewellery' etc , keeps the price down for the rest of us..then please continue!

I would not dream of buying either aboard a cruise ship..but that is my personal choice.

Exactly. :D

If they people stupid enough to spend their money for junk on the ship just because they get a piece of paper in their mailbox it keeps my price lower.

I say send more ad's out 3 or 4 times daily. " There is a sucker born everyday"

I have never understood who would buy art or diamonds on a cruise but apparently enough do that it is profitable

For them to rent the space Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you buy a piece because you love it and you must have it on your wall, you're not a 'sucker'... If you buy one because you think it's a great investment, you are.

This is the best thread I've read in months!

On our first cruise a few years ago, we wondered who buys this stuff? To me it's akin to all the "designer" shops that sell overpriced name-brand crap at cruise ports. I just don't get it.

Most of that stuff is probably counterfeit anyway.

If you buy a piece because you love it and you must have it on your wall, you're not a 'sucker'... If you buy one because you think it's a great investment, you are.

^^ This ^^

I saw a nice set of paintings on the last cruise that I might have paid a reasonable price for. $1000 for an unknown artist isn't reasonable, though. I've found some talented folks on Etsy and purchased more than a few there.

Talked to a guy whose wife spent more than five grand on the previous cruise. He was okay with it because he considered it prepaying his next cruise (free balcony room) and it made her happy. I'm happy to let HIM subsidize my cruise.