A Tale of Two Mattresses

I'll cut to the chase: There was no best of mattresses...only the worst. We were on the Adventure of the Seas April 28, 2018 sailing to ABCs + StM, Interior Cabin on the 7th Deck, I somehow fell asleep on the mattress you'll see below, which closely resembled the letter "U." After breakfast the next morning, I headed to the Customer Service desk at 10:30am, and showed the rep the picture I had taken with my phone to best describe my issue. (It's one thing to try to use your words to describe how bad something is...it's another to just snap a picture and show Exhibit A.) I stretched a belt across the mattress for scale. I figured that with a sold-out ship, lowly Gold C&A status, and an interior cabin, I'd be offered OBC.

The customer service rep said he'd get to work on the problem, and that it would be taken care of. From there, I anticipated them flipping the mattress, throwing a mattress topper on the thing, and me having to spend the morning of Day #3 back at the customer service desk complaining until I was offered OBC to compensate for having to sleep on an awful excuse for a mattress.

What was RCCL's response?

About 4 hours after I brought the issue to their attention, I just so happened to stop down at the room to see if anything had been done. Just as I was about to leave, I heard a knock on the door. It was my room attendant (Miguel), with 3 of his colleagues. They had 2 brand new mattresses out in the hallway, ready to swap out not only the crappy mattress that I was sleeping on, but also the mattress for the 2nd bed. The team was busy cutting the plastic wrapping off of the mattresses, and sure enough they were brand new. I'm not sure I've ever slept better on any vacation, ever!

I was so impressed with the Adventure team's response, I sent an email to the CEO the day after I got back from vacation and got a call from his office the following morning thanking me for bringing his crew's positive response to his attention. I was able to provide the names of the folks who were especially attentive to the issue, and the executive office rep said that they'd all be recognized for their stellar customer service. In my email to the CEO, I shared my experience of the incredible service we had in the MDR, including our head waitress' daily attempts to learn phrases in Portuguese in her off-time so she could communicate each evening with my mother-in-law who speaks no English.

The Adventure of the Seas impressed the hell out of me. I just thought you should know!

Takeaway tip, which I've read in past posts: If you've got a problem with your room, take a picture, and don't hesitate to show it to the customer service rep, as there are certainly cases where it will better describe the severity of a problem than you can with your own words.

enhance

We were on the Symphony in April and the mattresses were too hard for us ouchhh.

Just got off Navigator and the mattress was much better for us, the useless fridge on the other hand 🤪🤪🤪

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for posting a happy experience with Royal's customer service. I think you handled it perfectly! We had new mattresses on the Allure and they were very hard. Glad your new mattress was comfy for you.

(y)

Thank you for posting a happy experience with Royal's customer service. I think you handled it perfectly! We had new mattresses on the Allure and they were very hard. Glad your new mattress was comfy for you.

We were on the Symphony in April and the mattresses were too hard for us ouchhh.

Just got off Navigator and the mattress was much better for us, the useless fridge on the other hand

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"But", they really are not Refrigerators. They are Coolers never designed to keep things Fridge cold. Last 20 years I've kept the outer door of it open which helps lower the temp another 5 degree's...

"But", they really are not Refrigerators. They are Coolers never designed to keep things Fridge cold. Last 20 years I've kept the outer door of it open which helps lower the temp another 5 degree's...

Can't do that on the Oasis. Fridge door is bolted to the cabinet door.

I did that also. Just off Oasis in a deck 10 inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll cut to the chase: There was no best of mattresses...only the worst. We were on the Adventure of the Seas April 28, 2018 sailing to ABCs + StM, Interior Cabin on the 7th Deck, I somehow fell asleep on the mattress you'll see below, which closely resembled the letter "U." After breakfast the next morning, I headed to the Customer Service desk at 10:30am, and showed the rep the picture I had taken with my phone to best describe my issue. (It's one thing to try to use your words to describe how bad something is...it's another to just snap a picture and show Exhibit A.) I stretched a belt across the mattress for scale. I figured that with a sold-out ship, lowly Gold C&A status, and an interior cabin, I'd be offered OBC.

The customer service rep said he'd get to work on the problem, and that it would be taken care of. From there, I anticipated them flipping the mattress, throwing a mattress topper on the thing, and me having to spend the morning of Day #3 back at the customer service desk complaining until I was offered OBC to compensate for having to sleep on an awful excuse for a mattress.

What was RCCL's response?

About 4 hours after I brought the issue to their attention, I just so happened to stop down at the room to see if anything had been done. Just as I was about to leave, I heard a knock on the door. It was my room attendant (Miguel), with 3 of his colleagues. They had 2 brand new mattresses out in the hallway, ready to swap out not only the crappy mattress that I was sleeping on, but also the mattress for the 2nd bed. The team was busy cutting the plastic wrapping off of the mattresses, and sure enough they were brand new. I'm not sure I've ever slept better on any vacation, ever!

I was so impressed with the Adventure team's response, I sent an email to the CEO the day after I got back from vacation and got a call from his office the following morning thanking me for bringing his crew's positive response to his attention. I was able to provide the names of the folks who were especially attentive to the issue, and the executive office rep said that they'd all be recognized for their stellar customer service. In my email to the CEO, I shared my experience of the incredible service we had in the MDR, including our head waitress' daily attempts to learn phrases in Portuguese in her off-time so she could communicate each evening with my mother-in-law who speaks no English.

The Adventure of the Seas impressed the hell out of me. I just thought you should know!

Takeaway tip, which I've read in past posts: If you've got a problem with your room, take a picture, and don't hesitate to show it to the customer service rep, as there are certainly cases where it will better describe the severity of a problem than you can with your own words.

enhance

I can only sleep on a mattress as hard as concrete .This is why I booked the same cabin 4 consecutive years on Grandeur.

The fridge on Anthem is very cold. I no longer have to ask for ice to keep my bottled water ice cold.