HAL tote bags

takemewithyou

Yes, they do but they are not the sturdy canvas/cloth tote bags from a few years ago. They give out dark blue eco-totes--the kind you expect that are eco friendly. We usually find outs on the bed the night before our first port. I have several of them and they've held up well.

I still havea pile of ghe former style totes and have found lots of uses for them through the years. I don't care for the ones they now use and didn't bother to take any home.

Thr best ones are the totes they gave on turn around day to guests doing Collector's cruise. Really nice totes.

I can see several reasons for the change from the former canvas bags to the new synthetic ones. They are lighter weight and everywhere they can save on-board carrying weight the better. They are more disposable for many time cruisers who did not need endless supplies of the canvas bags. We still use ours from our first cruise, and added little embroidered gold stars as we move up the Mariner's ladder.

But the biggest reason for the change I believe came after that past noro-virus incident that was finally traced to a contaminated fabric bag, that later carried picnic supplies that sickened multiple other passengers - not sure if this was on a HAL ship or not.

And of course, cost-cutting must have also played a big roll - individual canvas bags must have cost a lot more than these current mass-produced synthetic ones. But I have lots of packing uses for them, and appreciate how lightweight they are for secondary uses. Most of my now necessary onboard cruise items now reside permanently in the blue bags and now just get dropped back into my ready to go suitcase(s).

A few years ago I found that the current style was too large for use around the ship. I was always digging around for the room key, sunglasses, etc.. It was easy to cut one down to a smaller size and still retain the logo. I also sewed a side pocket the size of the room key inside near the top. This bag was perfect and for the entire cruise, I was asked by ladies where I bought it. It was even suggested I patent the design! Now I don't object to the fabric in current use, but do miss those sturdy canvas ones of years ago. In fact, I still have one I pull out occasionally that designated us as having Mariner Status.

Great ideas. I might 'adopt' if you don't mind. ;)

I sewed a few velcro s trips to the top of some of the old canvas style totebags so I could close the top. Was happy I did that as I think makes the bags more useful. I debated with myself whether to sew a zipper to close the bag but the velcro was so fast and easy, it won and serves the purpose fine !

Great ideas. I might 'adopt' if you don't mind.;)

I sewed a few velcro s trips to the top of some of the old canvas style totebags so I could close the top. Was happy I did that as I think makes the bags more useful. I debated with myself whether to sew a zipper to close the bag but the velcro was so fast and easy, it won and serves the purpose fine !

I forgot about the velcro. I did the same thing for a closure and it worked fine. Please do feel free to adopt. I'm going to sew up a couple more for future cruises. Just be sure you don't try to iron the seams! I did and the material melted to the iron immediately. What a mess!

A few years ago I found that the current style was too large for use around the ship. I was always digging around for the room key, sunglasses, etc.. It was easy to cut one down to a smaller size and still retain the logo. I also sewed a side pocket the size of the room key inside near the top. This bag was perfect and for the entire cruise, I was asked by ladies where I bought it. It was even suggested I patent the design! Now I don't object to the fabric in current use, but do miss those sturdy canvas ones of years ago. In fact, I still have one I pull out occasionally that designated us as having Mariner Status.

I have been getting HAL tote bags since 1996 and never found any of them to be too large.

For us -- they are too small.

I forgot about the velcro. I did the same thing for a closure and it worked fine. Please do feel free to adopt. I'm going to sew up a couple more for future cruises. Just be sure you don't try to iron the seams! I did and the material melted to the iron immediately. What a mess!

Wow, thanks for the warning.

I like the new bags. They are large and sturdy. After a Behind the Scenes Tour, my group's gift was 3 of Chef Rudi's cookbooks for each of us. These are large and heavy. I already had all of the luggage I could disembark. How to get these books off? They fit into my blue bag nicely. I used my trusty, always with me duct tape to seal the bags, added the proper tag. Placed it outside my stateroom door for pick-up by the crew. Would I see this bag in the pier's luggage area when I got off the ship? Well, I did! All was well!

I also liked the canvass bags. But, I do like the new ones better.

I like the new bags. They are large and sturdy. After a Behind the Scenes Tour, my group's gift was 3 of Chef Rudi's cookbooks for each of us. These are large and heavy. I already had all of the luggage I could disembark. How to get these books off? They fit into my blue bag nicely. I used my trusty, always with me duct tape to seal the bags, added the proper tag. Placed it outside my stateroom door for pick-up by the crew. Would I see this bag in the pier's luggage area when I got off the ship? Well, I did! All was well!

I also liked the canvass bags. But, I do like the new ones better.

You did well to put three o f Chef Rudi's cookbooks in the BAG. I also have 3 of his books and refer to them often. :) Great you got them home safely.

As much as I love the canvas,I can see the wisdom of switching to the new style of bag especially if they were responsible for an outbreak of Noro.

One big reason I like the newer style is that they are easier to clean(say you use them at the grocery store as I sometimes do)and something spills and makes a mess?No problem!

Our cat, Tony the Tiger, really enjoys digging around in those HAL bags. He is so goofy, he puts his head through the strap and walks around with it that way.

True, they don't last a long time, but he doesn't really care. I have several in reserve.

Jim