HAL tote bags

takemewithyou

I have some of the white canvas bags dating back to 1985, with the three ships’ names, that were sailing at the time Noordam, Nieuw Amsterdam, and Rotterdam! Also have a later edition that included Westerdam. Of course, all those ships have later “versions” carrying the same name.

(And I will be going on my first Westerdam cruise on August 19).

Ryndam does not yet have a 'newer version ship' than the "S" class Ryndam. I have a large pile of the ecru color canvas totes HAL used to give us.

I have some of the white canvas bags dating back to 1985, with the three ships’ names, that were sailing at the time Noordam, Nieuw Amsterdam, and Rotterdam! Also have a later edition that included Westerdam. Of course, all those ships have later “versions” carrying the same name.

(And I will be going on my first Westerdam cruise on August 19).

Very nice :)

Ryndam does not yet have a 'newer version ship' than the "S" class Ryndam. I have a large pile of the ecru color canvas totes HAL used to give us.

Colour me confused. Ryndam didn't come out until after 1985 I believe? (1994 or thereabouts) Which is not the date (1985) that cruzn single stated. I'm probably missing the boat ;)

I recently found the first bag I got when doing some decluttering. It was from 1980 on the Rotterdam and is now my CC picture.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Love it :) Great avatar :)

On our Bermuda cruise in May, it was the first time we haven’t received a tote bag. We didn’t receive coasters either but that’s because we didn’t go to the mariners brunch/lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our cat, Tony the Tiger, really enjoys digging around in those HAL bags. He is so goofy, he puts his head through the strap and walks around with it that way.

True, they don't last a long time, but he doesn't really care. I have several in reserve.

Jim

LOL...Gotta love cats! I can see my old playful cat doing something like that. We have three kittens at the moment, foster fails, that get a kick out of jumping in and out of our reusable grocery bags after we unload the groceries. Too cute. :D

We still have a lot of the old canvas bags. The few blue bags we had are long gone.

I must be in the minority, but I like the new and larger blue bags. The small decorated Christmas tree that I ordered on my Prinsendam's Christmas/New Year's Cruise fits nicely in that bag. The bag's size made it easy for me to disembark with my tree. Yes, I did like the canvas bags as well and was initially disappointed when I saw the change.

Very nice :)

Colour me confused. Ryndam didn't come out until after 1985 I believe? (1994 or thereabouts) Which is not the date (1985) that cruzn single stated. I'm probably missing the boat ;)

Could not resist? Right?

GOOgle likely could provide the answer but you likely know that. :)

On our Bermuda cruise in May, it was the first time we haven’t received a tote bag. We didn’t receive coasters either but that’s because we didn’t go to the mariners brunch/lunch.

We did not receive a tote bag on our Noordam cruise May 2018. If I had noticed the lack, I might have asked the Neptune concierge about it. But until this thread, it wasn't on my radar :)

It was 1994 or 1995 that Ryndam joined the fleet, I think. Friends of the family cruised on Ryndam her first year in the fleet, (I am pretty sure they said 1994) and regaled us with tales of that cruise when they found out we were booked on her in 2008. I went looking for info about the ship today. There was another "Rijndam" with HAL that was sold in 1973. So I think you are correct that here wasn't a Ryndam sailing for HAL in the 1980s.

We did not receive a tote bag on our Noordam cruise May 2018. If I had noticed the lack, I might have asked the Neptune concierge about it. But until this thread, it wasn't on my radar :)

Didn’t get one on the Konigsdam 7/1/18 :(

It was 1994 or 1995 that Ryndam joined the fleet, I think. Friends of the family cruised on Ryndam her first year in the fleet, (I am pretty sure they said 1994) and regaled us with tales of that cruise when they found out we were booked on her in 2008. I went looking for info about the ship today. There was another "Rijndam" with HAL that was sold in 1973. So I think you are correct that here wasn't a Ryndam sailing for HAL in the 1980s.

Thank you for sharing the interesting tidbits from when she started.

Maybe they are getting ready to bring back the nice canvas ones in a new design! :evilsmile:

Will come back and post IF we should be so lucky to get a canvas one on our upcoming 20 night Zuidie cruise next month. ;p

Not meaning to derail this topic but the tiles used to be delivered in the cabins, are they not anymore? I haven’t cruised with Holland in over three years since my husband‘s passing. I’m trying to reacquaint myself with HAL.

Not meaning to derail this topic but the tiles used to be delivered in the cabins, are they not anymore? I haven’t cruised with Holland in over three years since my husband‘s passing. I’m trying to reacquaint myself with HAL.

These days the tiles are made available at the Mariner's Luncheon toward the end of the cruise (not to be confused with the welcome aboard luncheon on embarkation day, which is open to all).

they were delivered to our cabin in the evening the night we didn't go to the luncheon (we did reply and say we weren't going) but traditionally (and even three years ago when we were on), the tlles were given at the luncheon UNLESS you weren't going.

We were very pleased with the tote bags presented on our cruise to Alaska on the Westerdam in June. Unlike the previous flimsy blue bags, this one is very sturdy, and quite attractive with an original art reproduction by native Alaskan artist, Crystal Worl on one side. The other large side celebrates 70 years of exploration with the HAL logo and tag line up each side. The bag measures 13" across, 14" tall and the skinny sides are 5" across. Hope this is a new trend with regional bags representing different regions of the world of HAL!3c98e2d45bbe4b45239fc298effd6929.jpg306a3aef179a9a04fa2108f1def1525a.jpg

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

We were very pleased with the tote bags presented on our cruise to Alaska on the Westerdam in June. Unlike the previous flimsy blue bags, this one is very sturdy, and quite attractive with an original art reproduction by native Alaskan artist, Crystal Worl on one side. The other large side celebrates 70 years of exploration with the HAL logo and tag line up each side. The bag measures 13" across, 14" tall and the skinny sides are 5" across. Hope this is a new trend with regional bags representing different regions of the world of HAL!3c98e2d45bbe4b45239fc298effd6929.jpg306a3aef179a9a04fa2108f1def1525a.jpg

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Very nice indeed :)

I hope that is a new trend, too. :)