**Live Report** Symphony of the Seas 17th June

What an absolutely phenomenal first day! It’s 9am on our second day now and my goodness we were having way too much fun last night for an update. Apologies all...

So we arrived at the cruise ship terminal at 10.40 by taxi and we were on board by 11. Smoothest check in process ever. That feeling upon getting on board was just unreal. We headed straight to buy WOW bands available from Boleros then straight up to the Windjammer for some breakfast. The choice was so overwhelming and it was all so delicious, we got there in good time as when we were leaving it started to fill up. The only thing that maybe I wasn’t overjoyed about was the speciality dining package sell. RC staff were very friendly but we were asked four times in half an hour if we’d like to buy a dining package! I just said no thank you and everyone was so polite. Not the worst thing in the world but just be aware you might be asked a number of times.

94292ff10c07c2528646f1f9cb310e2b.jpg

We followed up by a quick dip in the Solarium and the first of many drinks, a margarita for myself and a mojito for Rob. It was super relaxing and a spot I think we will visit quite frequently as it was so quiet.

5ddeece3ce3c30a29ec4a73bfe23e0ae.jpg

Shortly afterwards there was an announcement that our rooms were ready so at around 1.30 we headed off to our Boardwalk balcony stateroom and unpacked and showered. Stateroom is easily the best I’ve ever stayed in. We have a wardrobe each and so many drawers. Rob’s height makes the shower a little small for him but it is manageable. We are seriously impressed.

Afterwards we went to the pub for a gin fizz before the muster drill. Leaving the muster drill was super busy but it was all over really quick and sailaway was imminent! We went up to the Mast Bar for a while (didn’t see any CCers) so headed back to the Solarium viewing platforms to watch the sailaway. I couldn’t even tell if we were moving for a while since the ship is so big. There was a lovely sailaway party on the main pool deck but as much as I love the Cha Cha Slide I opted for relaxation this time around :)

We turned up for dinner around 6.30/7 and we have MTD. We can’t have waited for more than 10 minutes to get a table and the front of house guy kept us very entertained whilst we waited! Our meal was great and so were the wait staff, one recommendation is order your drinks early as they can take a while to arrive, often after you dig into your meal. No biggie but the wait staff are doing a million and one things so it’s only natural.

d160781b9348f5331aad660417ee8aaa.jpg

We had a chat with some people at the table next to us too who were also super impressed. It really seems like every box is being ticked for everyone. Overall the ship seems quite busy but it never feels packed. There is always a good flow of people and everything seems to run so smoothly.

After dinner we decided to try out the Bionic bar, so far my favourite bar on the ship. I created my own drink called ‘Rachel’s Riot’ which was delicious and basically tasted like the colour purple if you can imagine that! So fun to watch.

19a632e810e328786ad4920c4b864ec3.jpg

We also did a few rounds on the Rising Tide bar which was pretty cool. By that time it was around 10.30 and we were wondering if to crash or carry on (some of us were very excited and up early) and we took a walk around the ship instead. We came across an open hot tub showing some World Cup highlights and we were sold. Straight down to get changed into swimsuits and back up again to spent the last half hour of the day bubbling away. A perfect end to a perfect day. Normally I am a bad sleeper and wake up quite often during the night. I slept through from around midnight to 9am. Magic!

I am saving cruise compasses for when I arrive home and I will scan them all for everyone to see. Now we are just getting ready for the day, let’s see what we get up to in Palma :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looking forward to hearing about Rob's first cruise. I have been to the Rock of Gibralter and it was amazing. Also we are heading to Scotland in August. This is off point of your post but could you please ask Rob if people in Scotland get offended when visitors wear kilts there. I am Scotish myself and wanted to wear a kilt one day while there when we see the military tattoo but don't want to offend. We are going on the Symphony in October 2019. I know its far away but love hearing about it. Enjoy the cruise.....

Hi Shipmate I am so glad you loved Gibraltar! You will also love Scotland. We visit often and it is so beautiful. Rob says ‘go for it!’ he doesn’t think it will be an issue at all. He loves wearing his kilt too.

Lol!! OMG, I’m truly embarrassed, so sorry!

Anyway, Rachel, just checked my watch and hopefully you and Rob are enjoying a nice drink or lunch in preparation for sailaway :) Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t worry it’s fine! Melody is a great name anyways hehe. Hope you enjoy the report.

Rachel:

Awesome posts so far, thank you!

We are traveling in 3 weeks, embarking in Rome. Traveling with my kids and parents (wish me luck).

2 years ago we all cruised on the Radiance and splurged for the dining package since it was well worth it. However, I've been reluctant to book us all for dining ahead of time since it is currently so expensive.

Can you let me know what they were offering for the dining packages? This is the first I am hearing of dining packages being offered this summer.

Thanks again!

Chuck

Great to hear you were too busy having fun to post on your first day. :-) Bionic bar looks neat...something different and for Royal to show off their technology. Can't wait. Would love to hear what you think of your Boardwalk Balcony (and general location you are at). We will be in one on Symphony next year and always good to hear what others think. They look like lots of fun. Looking forward to hearing more.

Our dear friends are also on board for this cruise and will be joining us for a SY Back2Back later in 2018.:)

We know many officers, staff, and crew that were transferred to the Symphony...the best of the best tend to be transferred to the new ships.

Enjoy. Looking forward to your posts and especially photos.

Rachel:

Awesome posts so far, thank you!

We are traveling in 3 weeks, embarking in Rome. Traveling with my kids and parents (wish me luck).

2 years ago we all cruised on the Radiance and splurged for the dining package since it was well worth it. However, I've been reluctant to book us all for dining ahead of time since it is currently so expensive.

Can you let me know what they were offering for the dining packages? This is the first I am hearing of dining packages being offered this summer.

Thanks again!

Chuck

Hi Chuck thanks so much for your comments. I hope you have a great cruise with your family. Symphony is so amazing you won’t be disappointed. I managed to snap this picture of what is being offered on board. Hope it helps

Rachel

24e2470079405e2b9fc617b7cb3b0355.jpg

Great review! We will be on the Symphony next May. Do you know what the daily price of the drink package is on the ship? I look forward to the rest of your review!

$60 for the deluxe package. Seeing it advertised shipwide. It is cheaper to buy beforehand online for sure.

Great to hear you were too busy having fun to post on your first day. :-) Bionic bar looks neat...something different and for Royal to show off their technology. Can't wait. Would love to hear what you think of your Boardwalk Balcony (and general location you are at). We will be in one on Symphony next year and always good to hear what others think. They look like lots of fun. Looking forward to hearing more.

Hello LuCruise,

Bet you are looking forward to next year!

I am very pleased with the Boardwalk balcony cabin. We are on deck 9 so everything is easily reached a few decks up or down.

I was concerned initially with the noise as I am very sensitive to sound but upon arriving I have found it hasn’t been an issue at all when the balcony door is closed, even with the World Cup being shown at Playmakers all day. The only time I have heard any noise was during the Aqua show when the music was pretty loud but it was at 9pm so not a bother to us at all. I have a pretty decent sea view too and it’s great seeing lots of people up and down the boardwalk. Only thing is remembering to keep curtains closed when you are changing as you can see in from the staterooms opposite pretty easily!

Hello LuCruise,

Bet you are looking forward to next year!

I am very pleased with the Boardwalk balcony cabin. We are on deck 9 so everything is easily reached a few decks up or down.

I was concerned initially with the noise as I am very sensitive to sound but upon arriving I have found it hasn’t been an issue at all when the balcony door is closed, even with the World Cup being shown at Playmakers all day. The only time I have heard any noise was during the Aqua show when the music was pretty loud but it was at 9pm so not a bother to us at all. I have a pretty decent sea view too and it’s great seeing lots of people up and down the boardwalk. Only thing is remembering to keep curtains closed when you are changing as you can see in from the staterooms opposite pretty easily!

We left Symphony yesterday morning, just as you were getting on !! We had a fabulous week. If you are a foodie you must try Wonderland and 150 Central Park, delicious meals and they were offering some discounts towards the end of the week. Hope you had a great day in Palma today and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

If you get a minute can you look at the shops (particularly Michael Kors bags) and let me know how they compare to UK prices. Also do they add Spanish VAT to the price? Hope you have a great cruise we are on at the end of July and looking forward to it.

Asked Guest Services today and I was told it was definitely offered, just visit them to book.

Thank you very much! I'm glad you're having so much fun. I love enthusiastic, positive reviews cuz that's how I experience cruises also, I always love them.

Asked Guest Services today and I was told it was definitely offered, just visit them to book.

Thank you so much!!! This really helps!! If you happen to be at guest services again I’d love to know until what time guests can stay onboard with the late disembarkation in Rome. But really only if you happen to need guest services :) it’s your vacation!!

Thank you so much!!! This really helps!! If you happen to be at guest services again I’d love to know until what time guests can stay onboard with the late disembarkation in Rome. But really only if you happen to need guest services :) it’s your vacation!!

I believe it was 15.00

Hello again all.

It is 10am on Day 3 in Marseille. Our Day 2 was even better than Day 1 and I thought that was going to be hard to top.

Our day started with a late start and a visit to the Windjammer for breakfast. It seemed pretty busy around 10.30am but we found a table really easily. Had some pancakes with maple syrup. I really love American style pancakes you don’t find often in Britain.

We then headed off the ship and decided we were going to venture into Palma. For some unknown reason I was under the impression I could walk to the centre of Palma from where we had docked but it was over an hours walk and pretty warm already. We decided to opt for the shuttle which was offered at the terminal, 10 euros each both ways and it dropped us right at the Cathedral. We didn’t stay for long, just wandered around for a while getting a feel for the place, it was really very pretty and we will be back to visit.

70722e32f3d574eca3512fb4a1e87da1.jpg

Once back on board the ship we headed to Guest Services to check a charge on our card (was fixed within 2 minutes- awesome) then to Sorrentos for some pizza. Now I know this is a huge topic of debate, but I really thought the pizza was...fine? It wasn’t the worst I’ve ever had, nor was it the best. Was perfect as a quick snack. If you’re British, to me it tasted like one of those posh pizzas from supermarkets finest ranges. Rob also needed a hot dog afterwards which has said was pretty good too. We decided after this to attempt the trivia at the pub and we won! Very pleased with our new highlighters.

09827b534287d118cb5d79e82eca8c6f.jpg

Afterwards we headed to the Solarium for chilling and watching us sail away from Palma. Being a school teacher, I really do love kids. I also love escaping from kids when I am on vacation. The solarium is so quiet and peaceful we haven’t even been to any of the main pools yet. Maybe today will change that! At 5pm I was supposed to attend the meet and mingle but the motion of the boat and the mudslides got to me and I fell fast asleep...oopsies! Hope to see some others on board regardless.

We quickly got ready for formal night and headed to Wonderland for a pre dinner drink. Marius at the bar there was fantastic, great chat and service. He had only been working at Wonderland since Sunday but it looked like he had been there for the last 5 years. We really enjoyed the theatrics of the drinks at Wonderland. This was followed by our evening meal on Deck 5. We have MTD but we have yet to have dinner on Deck 4! It’s pretty cool that you have the possibility to be placed anywhere all over the three decks. We were at a window seat and served by Davinci last night who was so funny! He was singing away all evening and everything was spot on. I mentioned to Rob I wasn’t sure how much I liked my soup and maybe should have got the bisque, but carried on eating it anyways and literally 10 seconds later Davinci brought me a bisque! Amazing! This is exactly why I cruise on Royal.

59b2274cfe01654afbe52ec3498b0e48.jpg

979508ab34b5642f79acc85426afacd2.jpg

After dinner we headed to The Aqua Theatre to watch Hiro and I could write a whole post about this show. We sat there with our mouths open the whole time, completely bewildered. Cirque du Soleil is nothing compared to this. Easily the best entertainment I have ever seen on a ship. Go and watch this.

0f35a93ec7624f86ae8db4410441f27d.jpg

After Hiro we went to Rockaokie which is karaoke with the live band. I sang Zombie by The Cranberries and it was super cool. Great Ideas were so fun and their singers were helpful backing me up. We took a walk around the ship after this and went back to the bionic bar to create more concoctions. One of our favourite things to do. We also found piano guy and did a few rounds in the lift with him!

We ended our night at the silent disco in the Attic which was crazy cool. Great atmosphere, loads of young people and the drinks were flowing. We made friends with a couple from Scotland who we chatted to all night until we called it at 3am with some more pizza from Sorrentos. The whole day was non stop perfection.

9a36423e9fb4bcccc7dbebc3965deb29.jpg

Today in Marseille we are giving ourselves a Sea Day to enjoy all the ship has to offer. See you down the Abyss!

Rachel

We are too excited for tomorrow discussing what our first drink on board is going to be! I am thinking a margarita. Anyone have any recommendations? Also, here is a photograph of the two of us if anyone is on board and spots us. Come and say hi :)

81ce893659a0496fc3f83921235a78b8.jpg

Rachel

Always love a handsome man in a kilt! I'm from Aberdeen.

For pool towels - do they scan you card to get a towel

- just pick up a towel near the pool

They scan your card when you pick up the towels. Take as many as you need, they enter that number in the laptop and then scan your card. When you return the towels they scan your card again.

Funny thing is they don’t count the towels when you return them, you just dump them in a bin and they scan the card.