Low deposits, and cancelling and rebooking?

AlRajul

I'm looking at Australia/New Zealand for January 2020, there is a very low deposit required. I'm interested in peoples experiences, if the cruise price drops, has anyone cancelled, and then rebooked? How quickly does the cabin you had booked reappear as available?

As long as you have not paid your full cruise fare, if a sale pops up, contact your travel agent and you can get the lower rate.

You can do this up till three months before departure when the final balance is typically due.

Jonathan

As long as you have not paid your full cruise fare, if a sale pops up, contact your travel agent and you can get the lower rate.

You can do this up till three months before departure when the final balance is typically due.

Jonathan

Correct if the cruise is booked in the US. (And maybe in some other places too.)

Jonathan

Hmmm.. So I take it you MUST have used an T/A in the original booking ? The reason I asked is my wife booked our upcoming Xmas cruise in July '2017 and since then, here recently I've noticed surrounding cabins on the same cruise are about $400 cheaper. We've already paid the $4000 balance(about 5 months ago) and I was just curious if it'd be possible to inquire about the difference. Just curious.

Mac

Hmmm.. So I take it you MUST have used an T/A in the original booking ? The reason I asked is my wife booked our upcoming Xmas cruise in July '2017 and since then, here recently I've noticed surrounding cabins on the same cruise are about $400 cheaper. We've already paid the $4000 balance(about 5 months ago) and I was just curious if it'd be possible to inquire about the difference. Just curious.

Mac

Assuming you booked in the USA ...

On most major carriers (RCL, Princess, NCL, etc.), you are allowed to change/cancel your booking to reflect the discounted price until 3 months before your cruise. It makes no difference whether you booked yourself or through a TA. Different rules apply to river cruises.

What cruise line are you on?

It is all a function of supply and demand. Booking now will protect your fare. IF the fare decreases you can get re-priced.

Now retired, we typically book inside the final payment window.

On one cruise, prior to retirement, we decided to cancel a week prior to final payment. The prices had been going down and it seemed to us that the vacancy rate might be higher than normal. We re-booked the same inside the final payment window two weeks later-at a substantial saving. Air was not an issue for us at the time.

Assuming you booked in the USA ...

On most major carriers (RCL, Princess, NCL, etc.), you are allowed to change/cancel your booking to reflect the discounted price until 3 months before your cruise. It makes no difference whether you booked yourself or through a TA. Different rules apply to river cruises.

What cruise line are you on?

RCCL, when I mentioned this difference to my wife, she said, 'Seems too me they'd give us the difference without question or us having to cancel and re-book?' I told her I don't think they do that UNLESS you call. After all, they're not in the refund business, if they can help it. But I could be wrong. Thank you, for your prompt reply.:D

Mac

You should call the cruiseline and ask them to 'refare' your cruise for the lower price.

That way you would keep your booking number and cabin.

Try calling and please come back and let us know how you made out.

If your original booking had a promo attached to it and the new price doesn't, you might have to decide which price has more value for you.

Good luck.

I have done it many times as we usually book 18 months out. A quick call to the cruise line or the TA we book with and the cabin is repriced while on the phone, no need to cancel and rebook. We have been repriced as many as 3 times for the same cruise. I check prices weekly.

Thanks to everyone who has replied, we are in the UK, a travel agent is offering one pound deposit, for a cruise costing 3500 pounds PP. I've just watched the same cruise a year earlier drop price by 600 pounds PP, so wanted to make an informed decision on whether to book now or hold off.

Particularly interested in Holland and America.

RCCL, when I mentioned this difference to my wife, she said, 'Seems too me they'd give us the difference without question or us having to cancel and re-book?' I told her I don't think they do that UNLESS you call. After all, they're not in the refund business, if they can help it. But I could be wrong. Thank you, for your prompt reply.:D

Mac

Yep - you are correct. You have to contact them if you want the lower fare.

Several years ago we booked a TA on RCCL. The price dropped almost $400 per person - I called and received the lower rate. Huge savings!

Thanks to everyone who has replied, we are in the UK, a travel agent is offering one pound deposit, for a cruise costing 3500 pounds PP. I've just watched the same cruise a year earlier drop price by 600 pounds PP, so wanted to make an informed decision on whether to book now or hold off.

Particularly interested in Holland and America.

My understanding is that UK passengers generally cannot get fare reductions the same way US passengers can. I would make sure that if you take the 1 pound deposit and want to cancel later, that there are no additional cancellation fees. But if there aren’t, sounds like a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums