My theory on "deep" pools- MSC, Viking, etc

LynnTTT

I've seen reviews that MSC, Viking and maybe new Costa ships ( and maybe others) have only deep pools.

My theory: lots of thought went into this. On hot days, shallow pools are packed; people get in and simply stay in. New people coming up complain about the pools being jam packed with kids etc.

With the deep polls, people will jump in and cool off, paddle around for two minutes and then get out and cool off. Leaving the pool looking uncrowded and very inviting.

Cruise ship designers are not dummies.

I've seen reviews that MSC, Viking and maybe new Costa ships ( and maybe others) have only deep pools.

My theory: lots of thought went into this. On hot days, shallow pools are packed; people get in and simply stay in. New people coming up complain about the pools being jam packed with kids etc.

With the deep polls, people will jump in and cool off, paddle around for two minutes and then get out and cool off. Leaving the pool looking uncrowded and very inviting.

That is a great point. Equally a true statement ...totally with you

This is correct and we love it. I will admit, at 6'7" I was able to touch and stand in the Seaside pools just over my chin. The deeper water keeps the drunks from standing around in the pool all day just to hang out and probably pee in it, not so much on MSC but Carnival and such. The deep pools have people using them to cool off and to swim, sort of. I credit the deep pools for teaching my young daughters to swim. I hope that all pools on all lines continue to go deep like the Seaside.

I like the deeper pool. I used the Jungle Pool Lounge primarily for lap swimming (albeit short). There were fewer 'swimmers' lingering in the pool. There were kids with arm floaters. The same with the South Beach Pool. I didn't use that pool but I saw few people threading from the aft elevators.

I agree with and also have come to this conclusion and like the idea. On my most recent cruises the pools had become way to crowded with people hanging out.

Totally disagree.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the deep, uncrowded pools. I did think there should be a small shallow area for less agile folks to walk into the pools, rather than climb down or jump in, and also in the Jungle Pool for kids. Keeping them deep does keep them from being so incredibly crowded. One nice thing about the MSC pools is the extended wet area around most of them, allowing people to sit in an inch or so of water and put feet in the pool. While deep, the pools are also saltwater and much easier to float in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums