Coffee Drinkers - "red eye"

JC in CA

Wanted to pass on something we learned on our Grand Princess cruise in May. This was our first time on Princess and since my husband NEEDS his coffee in the morning, we purchased a coffee card.

First morning we went down to the International Cafe, he got his tall brewed coffee. Took one sip and said- yuck- this isn't going to cut it for the next 10 days.

Next cup, he asked if they could make it stronger, said they did, nope.

I then went and talked to them and said he needed a strong cup, what did they recommend- they said a shot of espresso in the tall regular coffee. That made hubby happier.

I heard another guest as for a "red eye" and asked him what it was- said- a shot of espresso in the brewed coffee. Ahh ha- we know had a name for the stronger coffee.

Not sure if it is the same on all Princess ships- but if you need some caffeine in your coffee- try asking for a "red eye".

-Jerie

I would assume the red eye takes a punch, while the straight brewed doesn't?

Given that they are, supposedly, no longer letting "punches" carry over (and, indeed, are supposed to be getting rid of the punch card altogether) then, if it is a shorter cruise, I can't see that it matters. I have been surprised since we started cruising that many people feel 7 days is a "long" cruise. To us, 10 days is kind of short and we would love to have cruises longer than that. If they aren't letting coffee "card" privileges carry over anymore then there seems to be no reason not to spend the "punches" like "a drunken sailor". Just my thoughts - obviously not any sort of "real" info.

I have been surprised since we started cruising that many people feel 7 days is a "long" cruise. To us, 10 days is kind of short and we would love to have cruises longer than that. .

It depends on your cruising history. We view 7 nights as the basic length...better than no cruise at all, but just normal. Our 26 and 28 night cruises were much more special.

But there are a lot of people who feel that 3 or 4 nights is a typical cruise. I don't live near the port, so by the time I add air, transportation to the port, etc. anything less than a week only merits consideration if it is tied to another cruise.

agreed - if we have to fly, it's 10 days minimum - hopefully 14 when you add in a couple of days pre-cruise

if the timing, price is right - we'll drive the 2 or 4 hours depending on port - for 3-4-5-7 day cruises:cool:

Now this is the kind of information I love to find out about because I like my coffee strong. I call it "get-up-and-walk-to-the-curb" kind of strong. DH adds "and-on-to-the-hydrant-where-it-raises-a-leg" kind of strong. So Black Eye it is!! Thanks. :D:D:D

Pass on their coffee altogether and just order Americano; double shot. They never charge extra for the additional shot.

Thanks Pia for the suggestion. Hope to run into you again on a Princess cruise!

Also sometimes referred to as a "shot in the dark". They can also do a shot of espresso into a chai tea (or in the case of IC it's chai flavoring into a coffee or chai flavoring into steamed milk with an espresso added for extra "fun"), sometimes known as a "dirty chai".

Thanks for the info.

Wonder how they handle it if you are on the drink package. Since it's one drink at a time, do they not allow it?

It is very simple--it is one drink and is included on the PBP. You just order a red eye or a black eye. And it is non-alcoholic, so doesn't count toward your daily 15.

Edited by moki'smommy

Pass on their coffee altogether and just order Americano; double shot. They never charge extra for the additional shot.
Thanks Pia for the suggestion. Hope to run into you again on a Princess cruise!
DW was introduced to Americanos by one of our waitstaff at Sabatini’s for breakfast in 2012 and that is now her go to caffeine delivery system in the morning.[emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

If a coffee card is purchased, Princess should have standard offerings like the big coffee chains/hotels:

Regular (i.e. breakfast blend) & dark (i.e. strong/Sumatra).

Anything similar to "four bucks" should require a punch.

DW was introduced to Americanos by one of our waitstaff at Sabatini’s for breakfast in 2012 and that is now her go to caffeine delivery system in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is she going to try the higher caffeinated Starbucks? I think I get enough caffeine to bypass their newest product. Americano’s work for me.

Guest arowe6
Thanks for the info.

Wonder how they handle it if you are on the drink package. Since it's one drink at a time, do they not allow it?

It’s our go-to drink. Never had an issue using the drink package. However, we have had communication issues with MANY of the baristas. Very few know what a red eye (or black eye) is. So we usually have to spell it out very slow. “A hot coffee with a shot of espresso please... yes we want the shot in the coffee.... yes all in one cup.”

By the 3rd day they usually get it as long as we go at the same time every day. 😏

Andrew

Thanks Pia!

Good to know for our next Princess cruise!

-Jerie

It’s our go-to drink. Never had an issue using the drink package. However, we have had communication issues with MANY of the baristas. Very few know what a red eye (or black eye) is. So we usually have to spell it out very slow. “A hot coffee with a shot of espresso please... yes we want the shot in the coffee.... yes all in one cup.”

By the 3rd day they usually get it as long as we go at the same time every day. 😏

Andrew

That's funny, We've had the same issues! Yes, it'ts best to spell it out slowly & look for the same person every day.