Begging for Tips

When you sail from international destinations to more exotic ports of call, the likelihood of USD being accepted decreases.

While I understand that to obviously be true for those foreign departures, it doesn’t really apply here given Carnival serves a very specific US based market (with a few small exceptions). None of the Caribbean ports I have been to use anything other than the dollar as the primary currency, and even venturing away from the ports the locals will still gladly take them. Was just asking out of curiosity since I haven’t encountered any instances of local currency in the ports I’ve visited. Even outside the cruise world in that area I’ve experienced most people prefer dealing in US dollars. Hell, dealing with the locals in the Bahamas, most want US dollars and won’t take anything over 20 Bahamian. (And I’m talking about small town locals and businesses, not the tourist spots. Was fortunate enough for the Army to send me there every other 90 days for several years for counter narcotics work. )

Shake my head! That's what managers are for, it's up to a them to manage, help and if necessary weed out bad employees. A person on vacation doesn't need to go around getting people fired and having that on her conscious.

I disagree with this and your next post about someone having a "duty". Example, a server chases you outside and says, why did you stiff me. The manager or owner did not have a clue. I'm sure if the manager saw this happen they would have taken proper measures. You are not on vacation to get someone fired, that's a ridiculous statement. As is someone having a duty to get someone fired, absurd. As a guest in a restaurant there are certain expectations for civil customer service. If you are treated poorly or do not get the food cooked the way you ordered, say something.

Well, considering it's Carnival I'll bet the servers ARE desperate. Go near the service desk on the last night or last morning and see how many low-lives and trash aboard are up there to remove the gratuities from their sailing. These servers would be better off on any other line besides Carnival.

Except Norwegian where the bashers on the CC NCL Board over there are convinced that because NCL calls the gratuities DSC (Daily Service Charge) the money is 100% retained by NCL Corporate and specifically goes to directly personally enrich Chairman Frank Del Rio and the crew get a minimum Maritime Agreement stipend.

Both the NCL DSC conspiracy and your low-life trash / desperate CCL server narratives are false.

I disagree with this and your next post about someone having a "duty". Example, a server chases you outside and says, why did you stiff me. The manager or owner did not have a clue. I'm sure if the manager saw this happen they would have taken proper measures. You are not on vacation to get someone fired, that's a ridiculous statement. As is someone having a duty to get someone fired, absurd. As a guest in a restaurant there are certain expectations for civil customer service. If you are treated poorly or do not get the food cooked the way you ordered, say something.

So if you saw your server smoking a joint at the beach would you alert the supervisor when you got back on the ship? If you saw employees stoning on the way out of a restaurant on land (where it is not legal and you know the restaurant has a policy against it) do you go back and tell the manager or alternatively call the restaurant?

Jimbo seemed to indicate that he'd probably tattle because it's a bad look for the company. I disagree respectably.

I look at these situations as being similar to the servers asking for tips ON THE LAST NIGHT. It would just be inserting myself into a situation that no longer affects me.

Maybe I think maybe I'm cut from a different cloth than some of you. I just don't snitch and get people fired for stuff that doesn't seriously affect ME or my FAMILY.

They specifically asked about pesos and I know in Cozumel my change is always given in pesos.

Even in Cozumel I haven’t experienced this. I will say though, I don’t deal in cash a ton on vacation. I find it easier to use a credit card, but the times I have used cash I’ve always been given change in US currency if that’s what I payed with.

Even so, I still would imagine it is more of a hassle for them to get tipped in pesos than it’s worth unless it’s a higher dollar amount. I don’t imagine too many of the Stewards are spending money in Mexico or any other port for that matter. Keep in mind they may not have the same privilege of visa free foreign travel as Americans do and depending on their citizenship may not even be able to leave the ship in some

ports.

I would say the safe bet is US dollars or perhaps inquire before leaving foreign currency.

And hopefully none of this has come across as negative. I mean we aren’t talking about MDR dress codes here.

So if you saw your server smoking a joint at the beach would you alert the supervisor when you got back on the ship? If you saw employees stoning on the way out of a restaurant on land (where it is not legal and you know the restaurant has a policy against it) do you go back and tell the manager or alternatively call the restaurant?

These examples don’t really apply since they don’t involve or impact you or your service. The solicitation of tips against company policy directly involves you and is obviously an issue with proper service.

Even in Cozumel I haven’t experienced this. I will say though, I don’t deal in cash a ton on vacation. I find it easier to use a credit card, but the times I have used cash I’ve always been given change in US currency if that’s what I payed with.

Even so, I still would imagine it is more of a hassle for them to get tipped in pesos than it’s worth unless it’s a higher dollar amount. I don’t imagine too many of the Stewards are spending money in Mexico or any other port for that matter. Keep in mind they may not have the same privilege of visa free foreign travel as Americans do and depending on their citizenship may not even be able to leave the ship in some

ports.

I would say the safe bet is US dollars or perhaps inquire before leaving foreign currency.

And hopefully none of this has come across as negative. I mean we aren’t talking about MDR dress codes here.

I'm sure you're right about ship board payroll procedures, etc. vs foreign currency. I just answered a question for someone. It's not like this is a $2 bill tipping thread ;)

They have, however, expressed how important the surveys are and that they hoped we could give them high marks as it means a lot to them. They can get bonuses, days off, and promotions amongst other things based upon positive surveys.

Same and we usually snag one of the table cards with the names of all the staff who waited on us (because DH is terrible with names) so that we can make sure to mention them specifically in our surveys.

We've never (outside of excursions) experienced anybody begging for tips in 13 cruises.

Is that what I said? Your fairy tale we can discuss. The op talked about an employee on the job doing something totally unethical. I suggested that if one makes disparaging remarks which are detrimental to the cruise lines reputation, then they should follow through. My post as to the logic was deleted so I wont go there again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Follow through with what though? I assume people from the cruise line read this site, don't you? The OP put them on notice with his post, bous because he didn't cost someone a job.

Regarding the bold/underlined part of your post. I'm not sure what you mean fairy tale but assuming you are talking about my servers smoking rope (when against company policy/law). I wouldn't get them in trouble, would you?

Follow through with what though? I assume people from the cruise line read this site, don't you? The OP put them on notice with his post, bous because he didn't cost someone a job.

Regarding the bold/underlined part of your post. I'm not sure what you mean fairy tale but assuming you are talking about my servers smoking rope (when against company policy/law). I wouldn't get them in trouble, would you?

Ummm, how would they know who the OP is, what ship she was on, what sailing she was on? If the servers did as said, letting it go is certainly not the best course of action. The workers represent Carnival and it is a big deal if they truly are begging for tips. They at the very least should be counseled. Putting them “on notice” does nothing to the workers - absolutely nothing. IMHO if you won’t follow thru then don’t bring it up.

Your comment of drugs is an entirely different “hypothetical”. First, when you gray the lines, it is just that more gray. Much different than pushing a client for extra tips. I will tell you in my line of work, I have a morals clause, I violate that (at all) I do it at my peril.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The spa staff beg for tips even though their services have a 15% automatic tip. (I imagine the spa staff earn more than most of the crew-I know they are contract and not Carnival employees.)

The only time I experienced a Carnival staff member asking for a tip was on our last cruise, when a staff member brought our gold VIFP water to our cabin, he asked my wife for a 6% tip. Normally, she would have given a tip but when he asked she did not tip him. (Of course, 6% of free water is zero, right?)

Why such a modest amount? Isn't the standard extortion on beverages 18%?

I'm sure you're right about ship board payroll procedures, etc. vs foreign currency. I just answered a question for someone. It's not like this is a $2 bill tipping thread ;)

As someone that has worked service jobs with a cash register and also worked as a bank teller I have very strong opinions about $2 bills. Lol

I haven’t had anyone actually ask for tips but my spa lady spent my who nail time telling me about the death of her father and how she was paying for school for siblings (no I did not ask about her or her family). Finally I told her that my dad died when I was three and yep. It’s hard and she didn’t mention another word.

It is easy to talk bad things, if it disparages the cruise line (which this does) then step totally up to the plate. An employee that said those words needs to be removed. Employees are their best assets, one bad one can ruin an entire ships reputation.

But what if he was just having a bad day or was stressed out or whatever? Was just wondering if it is becoming more common and it seems like it isn't so let's just forget it. Tips threads never end well I suppose.

Not buying this story.

Good for you. Although I do wonder why people think someone, especially with over 1,000 posts and are stablished history here for years would suddenly come on and sell a false story. The purpose of that would be? Especially when I'm not interested in reporting the waiter etc?

Anyway....carry on. I'm off to the Celebrity boards.

This is the scummiest thing I've read on the internet today (just woke up in fairness).

Cannot believe you would call for someone to go out of their way to get someone fired. That's not stepping up to the plate, that's paving your way to hell or at least miserable Karma!

It's never going to happen so no worries.

It is easy to talk bad things, if it disparages the cruise line (which this does) then step totally up to the plate. An employee that said those words needs to be removed. Employees are their best assets, one bad one can ruin an entire ships reputation.

Not trying to disparage. Simply asking if others have heard similar things. So far, it seems to be out of the norm with only one other person having heard room stewards I think it was, mention having to send money home. This is not as big a deal as some are making it out to be. It was a simple question from an observation.

Think the point was if you’re going to go to the trouble of making anonymous general accusations online, then perhaps you should just be specific or hold your tongue.

I fully expect that this was a simple misunderstanding and the staff member was requesting a mention by name on the survey or a good rating in that category. That is something that definitely happens while soliciting of cash tips by carnival employees seems to be limited to porters in my limited experience.

Or, I can just ask in general, about an experience to see if it has been generally experienced by others.

If it isn’t worth bringing to the attention of management then it isn’t worth creating a thread on here to throw out the anonymous accusation about the dining staff in general. If you are gonna make the accusation, be specific or don’t bother.

That's how you roll.

I do not.

I consider asking a question in here to be a way of taking a general poll to see if it has happened to others. That's all. That is alllllllll.

Jimbo seemed to indicate that he'd probably tattle because it's a bad look for the company. I disagree respectably.

I look at these situations as being similar to the servers asking for tips ON THE LAST NIGHT. It would just be inserting myself into a situation that no longer affects me.

Maybe I think maybe I'm cut from a different cloth than some of you. I just don't snitch and get people fired for stuff that doesn't seriously affect ME or my FAMILY.

Exactly.