Begging for Tips

]I think this is open to interpretation. First of all' date=' I never met a waiter who spoke English as a first language.[/b'] I would have interpreted this as "Thank you for sailing with Carnival and giving us jobs. Because of that, you are feeding our families".

As far as asking for a tip, once, in the spa, we had that "body chemistry analysis"....and my husband, who was always a healthy eater, was told he had problems. Me, who at that time, on on that day, lived to eat junk food was told I had problems too, but not as bad as DH. The "physical trainer" who did the analysis said "we accept tips" (beyond the cost...which I forget). Knowing that this test was "bs" I didn't add anything extra because I didn't receive anything beneficial.

DH and I take note of what people give on excursions, and you'd be amazed how many people leave the bus/van giving the guide nothing more than a smile.

Good point!

What Carnival Ship and date of cruise??

And which of the MDR staff said this? Your waiters??

Yes, a waiter. I'm not mentioning the ship because reps from the lines read these boards and I am not at all remotely interested in getting anyone "in trouble" or fired from a job I'm sure they need, no matter how small that possibility is.

I think pre-paid grats have, oddly enough, probably resulted in a reduction in earnings for tip dependent employees and this was his way of letting us know....maybe.

Same here.

do not see how anyone can do exceeded my expectations when you know exactly what to expect on a cruise.

I have wondered about this too when filling out surveys. You're right. If you know exactly what kind of service you are going to get, then how could that service be exceeded? I suppose it could be, if a staff member went above and beyond what they are expected to do, but I don't think any of them have the time to do that anymore. They barely have time to do what is expected.

Yes, a waiter. I'm not mentioning the ship because reps from the lines read these boards and I am not at all remotely interested in getting anyone "in trouble" or fired from a job I'm sure they need, no matter how small that possibility is.

I think pre-paid grats have, oddly enough, probably resulted in a reduction in earnings for tip dependent employees and this was his way of letting us know....maybe.

Funny, now it was just one waiter....

When was this cruise??

If reps read this board then you SHOULD name the ship so that it could at least be dealt with in a communication to all of the MDR staff on that ship. If this really is happening anywhere and if Carnival cares anything at all about their customers happiness and peace of mind then I'm certain that they would want to address it. I am very sure that no cruise line wants its high dollar cruise environment to deteriorate into something that resembles a second or third world country. Having this happen in ports is one thing and we expect it to some degree, but on the ship from cruise line employees?? Not just no but......

It is easy to talk bad things, if it disparages the cruise line (which this does) then step totally up to the plate. An employee that said those words needs to be removed. Employees are their best assets, one bad one can ruin an entire ships reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most people on here are very cheap. That’s why I tip big and often.

Yeah, perhaps a BIG ZERO, Zilch, Nada, Nothing, 0.

Who knows what one does when posters here hide behind the anonymity of a computer screen.

If someone is this desperate for money and resorts to outright begging, I hate to see what this person may be tempted to do if he sees valuables or company assets lying around and no one is paying attention. Out him and be done with it.

On the way out, the dining room staff kept saying “please help us, you are feeding our families.”

Yes, a waiter. I'm not mentioning the ship because reps from the lines read these boards and I am not at all remotely interested in getting anyone "in trouble"

Not buying this story.

It is easy to talk bad things, if it disparages the cruise line (which this does) then step totally up to the plate. An employee that said those words needs to be removed. Employees are their best assets, one bad one can ruin an entire ships reputation.

This is the scummiest thing I've read on the internet today (just woke up in fairness).

Cannot believe you would call for someone to go out of their way to get someone fired. That's not stepping up to the plate, that's paving your way to hell or at least miserable Karma!

This is the scummiest thing I've read on the internet today (just woke up in fairness).

Cannot believe you would call for someone to go out of their way to get someone fired. That's not stepping up to the plate, that's paving your way to hell or at least miserable Karma!

Think the point was if you’re going to go to the trouble of making anonymous general accusations online, then perhaps you should just be specific or hold your tongue.

I fully expect that this was a simple misunderstanding and the staff member was requesting a mention by name on the survey or a good rating in that category. That is something that definitely happens while soliciting of cash tips by carnival employees seems to be limited to porters in my limited experience.

" I am not at all remotely interested in getting anyone "in trouble" or fired from a job "

you are doing a disservice to Carnival, this person needs to get out of the service business and go wash dishes. If a server in my restaurant asked for a tip, she would be immediately terminated.

Well, considering it's Carnival I'll bet the servers ARE desperate. Go near the service desk on the last night or last morning and see how many low-lives and trash aboard are up there to remove the gratuities from their sailing. These servers would be better off on any other line besides Carnival. I'm not a Carnival hater (booked another CCL cruise yesterday) but it's the truth and many of the passengers on Carnival aren't payinging grats no matter what .... That's probably what led to his begging.

"I am not at all remotely interested in getting anyone "in trouble" or fired from a job "

you are doing a disservice to Carnival, this person needs to get out of the service business and go wash dishes. If a server in my restaurant asked for a tip, she would be immediately terminated.

Shake my head! That's what managers are for, it's up to a them to manage, help and if necessary weed out bad employees. A person on vacation doesn't need to go around getting people fired and having that on her conscious.

Shake my head! That's what managers are for, it's up to a them to manage, help and if necessary weed out bad employees. A person on vacation doesn't need to go around getting people fired and having that on her conscious.

If it isn’t worth bringing to the attention of management then it isn’t worth creating a thread on here to throw out the anonymous accusation about the dining staff in general. If you are gonna make the accusation, be specific or don’t bother.

On the Magic in January, I went to customer services to increase the tip for MDR wait staff. CS said that was unusual, but great. Got the printout later, and the tips had been reduced! Went to CS again. Took two employees to figure it out. I suppose that's that unusual.

My lesson is to carry more cash, which I don't want to do, or just go with the prepaid amount plus a little in envelope, although my thought was that doing it at CS would ensure management knew.

Also, anyone see a problem with leaving leftover pesos to the cabin steward instead of USD?

Also, anyone see a problem with leaving leftover pesos to the cabin steward instead of USD?

Would think it would be quite a pain for them since the ship and pretty much all of the ports use the dollar. May I ask why you would have pesos to begin with? I don’t know of anywhere I’ve been in a port of call, even excursions well away from the ship, where USD weren’t accepted or even preferred.

May I ask why you would have pesos to begin with? I don’t know of anywhere I’ve been in a port of call, even excursions well away from the ship, where USD weren’t accepted or even preferred.

I can't speak for that person but my experience is that while U.S. currency is accepted in many ports any change given in return is in the local currency and not American.

Would think it would be quite a pain for them since the ship and pretty much all of the ports use the dollar. May I ask why you would have pesos to begin with? I don’t know of anywhere I’ve been in a port of call, even excursions well away from the ship, where USD weren’t accepted or even preferred.

When you sail from international destinations to more exotic ports of call, the likelihood of USD being accepted decreases.

Well, considering it's Carnival I'll bet the servers ARE desperate. Go near the service desk on the last night or last morning and see how many low-lives and trash aboard are up there to remove the gratuities from their sailing. These servers would be better off on any other line besides Carnival. I'm not a Carnival hater (booked another CCL cruise yesterday) but it's the truth and many of the passengers on Carnival aren't payinging grats no matter what .... That's probably what led to his begging.

Comedy hour. Any facts to back those wild claims?

Why does someone have a duty to the cruise line to get someone fired?.

I can't speak for that person but my experience is that while U.S. currency is accepted in many ports any change given in return is in the local currency and not American.

I have never been given change in anything other than US currency including coins in any port in the Caribbean.