Begging for Tips

Happened last night, the last dinner of the cruise.

Gratuities were pre-paid.

On the way out, the dining room staff kept saying “please help us, you are feeding our families.”

I know they work hard and everything but I think this crossed a line. It was very uncomfortable and honestly, felt like people begging on the street to the point that I don’t think Carnival is an option anymore as it wasn’t just them.

The ship sponsored excursions were just as bad in this department. The guide and bus driver are one thing, although we don’t need to be reminded to tip as they did. But On one in Mexico, every time we entered a room, the guide would point out that the person standing in the room was also helping—who knows how—and that tips are “not expected but certainly appreciated.”

I can imagine the responses but I assure you I am a good tipper. But it has really gotten out of control and I don’t see how anyone could think it is ok for dining staff to yes, beg, for more tips to feed their families as people are leaving. Thoughts?

Happened last night, the last dinner of the cruise.

Gratuities were pre-paid.

On the way out, the dining room staff kept saying “please help us, you are feeding our families.”

I know they work hard and everything but I think this crossed a line. It was very uncomfortable and honestly, felt like people begging on the street to the point that I don’t think Carnival is an option anymore as it wasn’t just them.

The ship sponsored excursions were just as bad in this department. The guide and bus driver are one thing, although we don’t need to be reminded to tip as they did. But On one in Mexico, every time we entered a room, the guide would point out that the person standing in the room was also helping—who knows how—and that tips are “not expected but certainly appreciated.”

I can imagine the responses but I assure you I am a good tipper. But it has really gotten out of control and I don’t see how anyone could think it is ok for dining staff to yes, beg, for more tips to feed their families as people are leaving. Thoughts?

Been on 40 + cruises and never seen anything approaching that from anyone aboard any ship. That said, regardless of whether an excursion is sponsored or not, it is def customary for tips (it is also common to ask politely).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

have to agree with Jimbo, finding this hard to believe. It would to a terminable offense. As to shore excursions, they are independent companies. My son was a Captain in St.Thomas and took people snorkeling on the pirate ships. These guys work their buts off, 2 trips a day 6 days a week and the pay is not great, tips are a huge part of their income. Yes they have a tip bucket and do request tips, some people are either too buzzed or distracted and forget, or are just plain cheap.

have to agree with Jimbo, finding this hard to believe. It would to a terminable offense. As to shore excursions, they are independent companies. My son was a Captain in St.Thomas and took people snorkeling on the pirate ships. These guys work their buts off, 2 trips a day 6 days a week and the pay is not great, tips are a huge part of their income. Yes they have a tip bucket and do request tips, some people are either too buzzed or distracted and forget, or are just plain cheap.

I also agree that any staff member on a Carnival ship doing that would be on their last cruise. Totally agree on excursion crews also.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On most excursions someone has mentioned that tips are gratefully accepted. I have never felt it approached begging.

Never on board ship have I ever encountered anything remotely like this.

I am not doubting your experience but can assure you that in my experience it's not a common complaint and doesn't happen fleet-wide.

So let’s assume the OP is telling the truth (can’t imagine why anyone would come on this board and lie)...I would expect that to happen in Mexico as that has happened when I’ve visited. I would be completely turned off if that happened in the dining room on a Carnival ship. That would be in very poor taste and they would not get above the tips we already prepaid. No one appreciates a guilt trip.

I have never experienced them begging for money. They have, however, expressed how important the surveys are and that they hoped we could give them high marks as it means a lot to them. They can get bonuses, days off, and promotions amongst other things based upon positive surveys.

Find it as you will. LOL It happened. I was equally as shocked and been on double digit cruises as well. Haven't been on Carnival in quite some time but yeah....it happened and I am sure it IS a terminable offense which is why I didn't say anything but wow......

As for the excursions...of course. No problem with tipping, a tip jar or a reminder once or twice. But these guys were just standing in the rooms...just felt like an excessive grab.

On most excursions someone has mentioned that tips are gratefully accepted. I have never felt it approached begging.

Never on board ship have I ever encountered anything remotely like this.

I am not doubting your experience but can assure you that in my experience it's not a common complaint and doesn't happen fleet-wide.

Well right...on the excursions. And it was polite. But every room we entered, lol,...."Don't forget to tip X, he helps too." He wasn't doing anything so you take a polite reminder for a tip on an excursion, which any normal person is going to give who isn't intoxicated, and multiply that by about 8 times requesting tips on an $85 excursion.

The dining staff, I will disagree all day. I am an experienced cruiser and I am right there with all of you--have NEVER experienced that. But it was flat out begging. I don't know what else you would call it..."please help us?" "You feed our families?"

Also 40+ cruises and never experienced any Carnival crew member in any position even hinting about tips. Several of my cruises were before tips were prepaid. We almost always receive good service and give extra to dining room staff and stateroom stewards including all of the assistants.

So let’s assume the OP is telling the truth (can’t imagine why anyone would come on this board and lie)...I would expect that to happen in Mexico as that has happened when I’ve visited. I would be completely turned off if that happened in the dining room on a Carnival ship. That would be in very poor taste and they would not get above the tips we already prepaid. No one appreciates a guilt trip.

It became more of "get us out of here" discomfort.

Not trying to get anyone fired or even complain about it. Just haven't been on Carnival in years and am trying to see if this has become sort of the norm. Glad to see it hasn't.

I have never experienced them begging for money. They have, however, expressed how important the surveys are and that they hoped we could give them high marks as it means a lot to them. They can get bonuses, days off, and promotions amongst other things based upon positive surveys.

I know! Another reason this was beyond strange! Have always been told the surveys are most important as it plays a part in the decision to renew the employee's contract. The guy must know that acting like this with tips is not going to reflect well if a cruiser decided to fill out the card and specifically name them. So weird. But it seems like it was an anomaly so that's good I guess.

".it happened and I am sure it IS a terminable offense which is why I didn't say anything but wow......"

The people on the board that know me also know I would have gone to the GM and specifically point out the situation. How would management know there is an issue if they are not apprised of a problem? This is why I always say people are afraid to complain or address a situation that you did not feel was appropriate. We have saying in the restaurant business, people don't complain, they simply don't return.

They have, however, expressed how important the surveys are and that they hoped we could give them high marks as it means a lot to them.

This was a common practice back when the evaluation forms were placed in the cabins on the last night of the cruise. We dreaded that last night in the MDR on every cruise line, not just Carnival. We knew the "talk" was coming after the dessert and coffee were served. The lead waiter would emphasize that "met expectations" was not good enough and we were flat out told cruise after cruise to mark every category "exceeded expectations" and that anything less could cost them their livelihood.

We're glad these strong arm tactics are a thing of the past.

. . .

The dining staff, I will disagree all day. I am an experienced cruiser and I am right there with all of you--have NEVER experienced that. But it was flat out begging. I don't know what else you would call it..."please help us?" "You feed our families?"

That would make me uncomfortable.

One evening on one cruise a member of the MDR staff mentioned high ratings on surveys made a real difference. It was a casual remark made in the middle of our "thanks and we enjoyed it" conversation.

I hope and believe your experience was an anomaly.

Most people on here are very cheap. That’s why I tip big and often.

I don’t understand, Are you saying you are ok with the waitstaff begging for more tips? Why did I or anyone else prepay tips if it isn’t enough?

This was a common practice back when the evaluation forms were placed in the cabins on the last night of the cruise. We dreaded that last night in the MDR on every cruise line, not just Carnival. We knew the "talk" was coming after the dessert and coffee were served. The lead waiter would emphasize that "met expectations" was not good enough and we were flat out told cruise after cruise to mark every category "exceeded expectations" and that anything less could cost them their livelihood.

We're glad these strong arm tactics are a thing of the past.

sounds like Russian mobsters to me.....

Actually the worst we have seen was on Oasis when he only mentioned it 4 times.... but strong armed might be a tad over the top.

I’ve never seen a carnival employee ask for money. I’ve had them give me the dining team card and ask that I remember them on the carnival survey...after I sought them out and gave them an additional tip...but that’s all they’ve ever asked for.

I don’t understand, Are you saying you are ok with the waitstaff begging for more tips? Why did I or anyone else prepay tips if it isn’t enough?

I am saying if they were good and took care of us I would have tipped them right after and often so there would be no need to beg, just awesome service

I always tip what is customary, and sometimes beyond for extra service, BUT when it come to asking for more or some story or putting top stars on surveys...NOPE that's over the top. I worked for a place that we had to tell customers to be sure and mark all "5"s" because anything less "didn't count"

I am saying if they were good and took care of us I would have tipped them right after and often so there would be no need to beg, just awesome service

Sorry, but your words don’t make sense in this paricular discussion. Maybe a general discussion on the benefits of over tipping but this discussion has nothing to do with that.