Hygiene

FangedRose

But then you have a messy room and one that is not easy to keep clean;p

my son sticks all his once worn clothes in the wash, I do the sniff test and a lot of it goes back in the wardrobe. He showers, puts on a fresh tee shirt and sits in his room for a couple of hours, you can't tell me that needs a wash! And anyway since I'm doing the work I will decide what needs me to wash and iron it. We both work in a hospital and come into contact with viruses all the time, I can't remember the last time I had to have any time off sick. You'd be surprised at some peoples habits, I could write a book:eek:

Room is not messy, clothes are on a bedroom chair overnight. I don't clean during the night.

FangedRose- I've just had a terrible thought!What if you put some 'once worn' clothes on your cabin chair that a previous occupant had placed 'dirty' clothes on?

OMG-doesn't bear thinking about! All those germs.....

Eve

FangedRose- I've just had a terrible thought!What if you put some 'once worn' clothes on your cabin chair that a previous occupant had placed 'dirty' clothes on?

Eve

They are all outer clothes, not underwear, so no more chance of germs than you would get from sitting in the theatre, or show lounge or dining room.

So all the germs from your once worn clothes are now on the chair so wouldn't fancy being in a cabin after you if you do that on board as well. ��.This thread makes good bedtime reading , I'm hooked ��

I refer you to my reply above.

I don’t mean to sound rude but I think that’s a bit OTT!

If people want to put their nightwear away in a drawer, that’s totally up to them.

To each his own!!

Eve

PS sometimes I put my nightwear under my pillow,sometimes I stick it in a drawer! Can’t say I have ever caught any virus whilst on holiday either!!

When I was a kid, we were taught to put our jammies under our pillow each morning. And with 7 kids in the family, we did NOT put our jammies in the laundry every day.

side note ... there was a Columbo episode that the jammies under the pillow was a big clue that lead to him solving a murder. ;p

Eve

What if you put your worn clothes on a cabin chair that previous guests did WAY more than just put their dirty clothes on. Have you EVER seen a black light in a hotel room or .... cruise cabin?

Fangedrose : You've missed the most important detail, the topic of the thread. Was the underwear clean?[emoji32][/

Being too clean does not cause allergies and as alleged by a poster childhood cancers . If you disagree with me show me the data.

Only bleach and a certain Ag compound kill the norovirus. Hand sanitizers do not.

Is the drawer hermitically sealed ? How long do you think it takes for bacteria to grow on clothes ? How long bacteria lives on a hard surface is determined by if it is encapsulated.

I’m not a germaphobe but Escherichia coli and I are not best buddies. I avoid it if I can.

Some very funny comments but some misinformation, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by NHProud

I am afraid a number of people on this thread appear to be obsessive about cleaning, people need to build up a resistance to most infections, obsessive cleanliness is as bad as being to dirty.

My mother only washed once a week. One set of clothes lasted a week. Before deodorants we must of all stunk. :eek:Not acceptable today. (Mind you the smell was masked by the odour of fags). However, when clothes were washed they were virtually boiled in very very hot water with caustic smelling soap. Modern day fabrics wouldn't last one wash.

My grandmother grew up and worked in an age when deodorants and anti perspirants did not exist. She travelled into the City on the tube to work every day and told me that she always carried a flannel, towel, soap and talcum powder. She washed when she arrived at work and at various points during the day if it was really warm. She changed her clothes every day. She most certainly did not "stink" and no one with a half decent sense of personal hygiene should. Incidentally, she did not smoke either.

Nobody with good personal hygiene will stink even if they don't change their clothes every day. I don't change my outer clothes every day, only my underwear. Agree with other poster hand sanitisers do not kill noro.

Nobody with good personal hygiene will stink even if they don't change their clothes every day. I don't change my outer clothes every day, only my underwear. Agree with other poster hand sanitisers do not kill noro.

Trust me the Purell kills Viruses and bacteria, I will dig out the picture I took of the back of the bottle if you want me to!

I spend about a hundred nights a year in hotels, cruise ships and holiday cottages. Many of which are perhaps not cleaned thoroughly. Occasionally it worries me then again my house is not exactly spotless. Oddly my own germs do not worry me but sometimes peoples do concern me. Silly really.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What if you put your worn clothes on a cabin chair that previous guests did WAY more than just put their dirty clothes on. Have you EVER seen a black light in a hotel room or .... cruise cabin?

Yes I have but I kept bumping into things. The cabin steward changed the bulb on the second night and I saw the light and felt like I was born again.

Regards John

No need! Just look at the link I posted!

Depends on the Type of Purell. Type VF481 is the key.

also Byotrol Hand Sanitiser is another for Norovirus

and Boots used to sell one as well called EcoHydra's Instant Hand Sanitiser which guarded against Norovirus.

You have to read the labels and not just rely on Brand name.

Where did you put your wet towels? Or did you want clean towels every day?
I hang my towels on the towel rail over the bath although the steward changes them daily regardless.

This thread is so funny [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Forums mobile app

Edited by Gymbod

Depends on the Type of Purell. Type VF481 is the key.

also Byotrol Hand Sanitiser is another for Norovirus

and Boots used to sell one as well called EcoHydra's Instant Hand Sanitiser which guarded against Norovirus.

You have to read the labels and not just rely on Brand name.

The point is that some people believe incorrectly, that hand sanitiser is useless against norovirus. The fact is that there are indeed hand sanitisers which are anti-viral. I think it is pretty safe to assume that those are the ones used by cruise lines. Norovirus is such a big problem for them that it would be idiotic to do anything else.

(And as I said, Boots do sell a hand foam spray labelled ‘anti-viral’, own brand. Find it near the first aid stuff.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

never thought about the inside of drawers being dirty, will now! however, surely this is not unique to ships and would be hotels as well.

I didn't think about the inside of drawers being dirty either until people said they kept the nightwear they had worn in there in case the steward touched it. (Or to make the stewards job easier). As I keep my medication in there it does make me think. I know the tablets are well sealed, but I use my hands to open them, and then transfer the tablets to my mouth. (Never got the hang of blister pack, direct to mouth).

You can never escape the fact that your hands are going to come into contact with germs and bacteria. Surely simple steps like washing your hands after going to the loo and using the hand sanitisers in the restaurants on board ship should be enough.

When I go on holiday I want to enjoy myself and not obsess about germs lurking in drawers or elsewhere in my cabin/hotel room.

I just find all this talk about brands of anti- bacterial gel etc etc bit OTT

Eve