Hygiene

FangedRose

Being a hospital domestic I've cleaned a few rooms in my time with norovirus, CDiff and MRSA, swine flu and all the other infections that make headlines in the news. Our infection control tell us to use a bleach solution and in the case of swine flu when it was considered a killer top to toe protective clothing. It does concern me when you see visitors come and go without basic hand hygiene or wearing protective clothing, sometimes when you mention this to visitors you get a tut or some excuse that they don't need to:o. I've had norovirus once in my early days of working when my immunity was low and I caught a few things in the first few months, I've never felt so ill. My children were young so husband had to have time off work to look after them. I was in bed four days and barely managed to have the energy to get to the bathroom. I dread falling ill on the ship and losing my holiday, I will be taking plenty of precautions but certainly not to the extent of worrying about the drawers. I too think the OP is having fun with us as one or two things said doesn't add up if you've read all the comments. I'm off to find the other thread about the swimming!!!

A few months ago, in a discussion about 'excellent' scores for cabin stewards, I stated that I didn't give my steward top marks for a variety of reasons. One of which was that he left my nightwear out sometimes. I acknowledged that it was trivial, and that on it's own would not have merited a downgrading. I'm not getting into any discussion about that.

However, many responded by saying that they put their nightwear into the bedside drawer. I am the only one who finds that disgusting? The idea that people find it acceptable to place garments which have been worn into a confined space such as a drawer astounding. Especially as following passengers use the same drawer for make up, or medication or anything really. Anything I have worn is either in the wash basket or left out to air. I would never dream of stuffing worn garments into a drawer.

Am I on my own here?

We always keep a dirty washing bag for worn underwear to keep them separate from unworn clothes

As I said on another forum this thread is keeping me more amused everyday. However if the OP has such a massive problem with overnight perspiration then surely just leaving the nightwear spread out on the bed whilst they get ready to head for breakfast in a morning will allow it to air and then it can be folded and left under the pillows like most of us do, or even placed in a drawer without it becoming a breading ground for the bugs, germs and viruses that the OP is worried about.

All this worry and angst over the remote possibility of getting germs from a drawer is quite amusing and more fun than tipping threads. If there are one or two germs waiting to get me in a drawer then how many millions are waiting for me in the bed? From now on I will be taking a rope and sleep hanging over that :')

OK, ok, I know I'm five days late (Just found this thread) but this thread is hilarious. It's 5:00 AM (Eastern Day Light - GMT-4 or UTC 8:56 AM) and I can't get back to sleep buy I'm laughing my head off. And here I am thinking some boring topic would send me back to sleep; but I'm possibly waking the neighbors up.

Since I'm up let me throw a monkey wrench into this conversation. I don't wipe anything, draws, surface tops, light switches, etc. with wipes... Here goes, I use essential oils I carry with me 'cause... .drum roll please... I'm more concerned about picking up creepy crawlies. Based on the type of essential oil used....they are natural disinfectants, anti-microbial, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, opens up your sinuses and smells good. <3(y)(y):ship:

Now, continue on.

Ramona

Reading this thread is so much fun. :'):')

People revealing there preferences regarding what they wear or not as the case may be. :o

Not only is this a preference thread, but it is a "gett'n up a posse" endeavor. Reminds me of old time western's... Someone rides in on their horse and shouts out words that gets folks stirred up then adds..."What ya gonna do 'bout it? How many riding with me?" Then they ride off and folks get killed ..all but the instigator or he gets/got shot first. :D:D

Ramona

We were recommended the following on CC and have used it as the foam and with the wipes ever since. If you put the following in Amazon or Google it will come up

Serenity Hygiene

I checked online but can't find a list of active ingredients, can you help?

Fangedrose , I understand your concern . May I suggest you keep your meds in a covered plastic container in the drawer or on top of the bedside table. If it makes you more comfortable wipe down the drawer with Lysol wipes ( bleach ) and/or line the drawers with newspapers . I hope that helps.

You can hang your nightwear in the closet . Make a space between what you’ve worn or bring plastic bags from the dry cleaners to separate your clothing. Bacteria et al does not jump across spaces unless sneezing , etc.

My husband and I have 4 years of post-graduate classes in microbiology between us , he is blasée about the whole thing whereas I am more cautious. I cannot find the name of any disinfectant other than bleach that is useful in killing the norovirus. As others have mentioned , it does exist .

Sanitation scores for the different cruise ships can be found at cdc.gov Anyhow, I hope you can cruise at ease and not worry so much about germs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't want to sound non-concerned but anytime you work for/at a specific career your inside knowledge will cause you at least some

bias, if not a lot

Case in point, my son is an aerospace engineer. His first job was analyzing all the materials that made up a Boeing plane (787), in other words he ran tests to find the breaking points of screws, fasteners, clamps, all the little stuff. He is not a BIG fan of flying, although he does 'cause he knows what could go wrong and it's mostly human error.

Ramona

As I said on another forum this thread is keeping me more amused everyday. However if the OP has such a massive problem with overnight perspiration then surely just leaving the nightwear spread out on the bed whilst they get ready to head for breakfast in a morning will allow it to air and then it can be folded and left under the pillows like most of us do, or even placed in a drawer without it becoming a breading ground for the bugs, germs and viruses that the OP is worried about.

That is exactly what I do. Leave it out to air. I cannot fathom why people put their nightwear immediately into the drawer?

Do they also fold and stash damp laundry?

The truth is, I get up, I take off my nightie, I have a shower, I dress and we go to breakfast. When we get back, my nightie that was tossed on to the bed is still there, because the stewards hasn't done the room yet, nor does he/she ever do it before we get back. Before going ashore or off to some entertainment on board, I fold my nightie and put it either under the pillow on in the drawer next to my bed. Now I've been out of it for over an hour, so I think it's probably aired!! All the bacteria and germs are now flying round the cabin and not bothering anybody at all :-)

the original poster is now taking a bit of abuse that is unwarranted; some of the passengers have questionable hygiene practises but then so do people everywhere. I don't own 14 pairs of pyjamas and even if I did wouldn't take up some of the precious 23kg with them; why not sleep in yesterday's t shirt, if you have to wear anything??

the original poster is now taking a bit of abuse that is unwarranted; some of the passengers have questionable hygiene practises but then so do people everywhere. I don't own 14 pairs of pyjamas and even if I did wouldn't take up some of the precious 23kg with them; why not sleep in yesterday's t shirt, if you have to wear anything??

Hi....unless you are on a fly cruise you are allowed a lot more than 23kg....and even if you were on a fly cruise with limited luggage why would you have to take 14 pair of pyjamas. There are free launderettes on each deck so you could have clean pyjamas every night using just a few pair. Yes it would be time consuming but if it is important to you to have clean every night then that is a small " sacrifice" to pay.

A few months ago, in a discussion about 'excellent' scores for cabin stewards, I stated that I didn't give my steward top marks for a variety of reasons. One of which was that he left my nightwear out sometimes. I acknowledged that it was trivial, and that on it's own would not have merited a downgrading. I'm not getting into any discussion about that.

However, many responded by saying that they put their nightwear into the bedside drawer. I am the only one who finds that disgusting? The idea that people find it acceptable to place garments which have been worn into a confined space such as a drawer astounding. Especially as following passengers use the same drawer for make up, or medication or anything really. Anything I have worn is either in the wash basket or left out to air. I would never dream of stuffing worn garments into a drawer.

Am I on my own here?

I for one would not expect my steward to put my clothes away especially any night wear or underwear. I always hang mine up!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I for one would not expect my steward to put my clothes away especially any night wear or underwear. I always hang mine up!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Re reading my post I realise why some are getting hold of the wrong end of the stick.

When I said he left my nightie out I meant he moved it from where I left it, on the bed, airing, and left it draped over a chair. He hadn't put it back on the bed where I had put it.

I do not expect him to tidy up after me :D

You say you didn't expect him to tidy up after you, but you did leave your nightie out in the way of him doing his job properly. And wouldn't your nightie air out draped over the chair just as well as laying on the bed? That might have been a better place to put your nightie to begin with. What a shame to mark down your steward for something you basically initiated.

You say you didn't expect him to tidy up after you, but you did leave your nightie out in the way of him doing his job properly. And wouldn't your nightie air out draped over the chair just as well as laying on the bed? That might have been a better place to put your nightie to begin with. What a shame to mark down your steward for something you basically initiated.

As I said in my op that was only one of the many reasons why he wasn't marked excellent. I do expect him to replace my things where I left them.

Anyway this has nothing to do with this thread.

As I said in my op that was only one of the many reasons why he wasn't marked excellent. I do expect him to replace my things where I left them.

Anyway this has nothing to do with this thread.

Um, what? How does that not have anything to do with this thread? You said it in the first paragraph of your OP!

Here goes, I use essential oils I carry with me 'cause... .drum roll please... I'm more concerned about picking up creepy crawlies. Based on the type of essential oil used....they are natural disinfectants, anti-microbial, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, opens up your sinuses and smells good. <3(y)(y):ship:

Ramona

Which oil is that and how do you use it, especially for sinus

Um, what? How does that not have anything to do with this thread? You said it in the first paragraph of your OP!

Because the subject was done to death in the relevant thread. As I said in the op.

This thread is about people's questionable practice of putting their used nightwear into the bedside drawer before the steward could touch them.

FangedRose-I actually take offence at you criticising people’s ‘questionable practices’! Mine included!

I use drawers to put things away in and to keep my cabin tidy!

That’s what drawers are for!

No disrespect- you need to live and let live and stop being so paranoid!

Eve

FangedRose-I actually take offence at you criticising people’s ‘questionable practices’! Mine included!

I use drawers to put things away in and to keep my cabin tidy!

That’s what drawers are for!

No disrespect- you need to live and let live and stop being so paranoid!

Eve

I was not the first to use that phrase #163.

Drawers are for clean clothes not dirty.

The remark was not directly to you, but you take it personally, that's paranoid.

"Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!" (Joseph Heller)

Edited by FangedRose

Which oil is that and how do you use it, especially for sinus

I use about seven/eight essential oils (Note: not aromatherapy oils) and I use them for many things, body, cleaning, laundry. Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Wintergreen, Tea Tree, Lavender, Clove (from seeds, not the leaves; yes, there is a difference), Orange, Lemon, Helichrysum (very expensive) Cedar. There are tons of places on the internet where you can find recipes using essential oils, you should try doing... How to use essential oils for XXXXXXX. And Essential Oils to relieve sinus congestion/infections, etc.

Sorry I will not tell you how I take care of my sinuses because I use my oils directly on my skin without diluting them or using a carrier oil which is never recommended but I've been doing it for years with no ill effects so I'll continue but you need to find your happy medium. Make google your friend. Good luck

Ramona