3rd Person in a room

Hello everyone. Long time lurker but this is my first post. I have a question for you all. We are planning a cruise next year and my brother and sister-n-law would like to go (their first cruise). They would like to take their son for his high school graduation. The only problem is that it is next September. At this point, they don't know if he will either be in college or in the military. If he chooses to enlist in the military, he will have no way of knowing if he will be in basic training at that point or not. If he would be in either college or in basic training and wouldn't be able to go, how does Carnival handle that? Would they receive on board credit for his cruise? Should they get cruise insurance for him? Thank you all in advance for your expertise!

Hello everyone. Long time lurker but this is my first post. I have a question for you all. We are planning a cruise next year and my brother and sister-n-law would like to go (their first cruise). They would like to take their son for his high school graduation. The only problem is that it is next September. At this point, they don't know if he will either be in college or in the military. If he chooses to enlist in the military, he will have no way of knowing if he will be in basic training at that point or not. If he would be in either college or in basic training and wouldn't be able to go, how does Carnival handle that? Would they receive on board credit for his cruise? Should they get cruise insurance for him? Thank you all in advance for your expertise!

It depends on what type of booking it is -- If it's early saver they would be charged a fee for canceling

Also if its past the payment booking date then your looking at cancellation fees up to 100% of the cost of the cruise depending on when you cancel

I would suggest getting travel insurance for him and make sure its a policy that will allow you to cancel for any reason to ensure that it will cover his military leave

If they don't want to book him yet for fear of loosing out make sure they book a room that will allow for 3 people. Its not a cabin space issue (they are all tiny and cramped) its a life boat issue. If the room isn't rated for 3 they will not allow him to be added to the reservation. Period. Move rooms and add yes.

When will they know if he can come or not? if its before final payment is due then I would risk the $150 fee and register him for the room. If he has to cancel before final payment then they will be out the $150 but not the rest. After final payment it gets more complicated.

Thank you everyone for your quick and helpful replies!

Payment is due by June 25, 2019, so he would definitely have a better idea by then. His parents are going regardless, so I think they will just go ahead and book him and take the chance. Do you know if someone could possibly go in his place if he was unable to go?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Thank you everyone for your quick and helpful replies!

Payment is due by June 25, 2019, so he would definitely have a better idea by then. His parents are going regardless, so I think they will just go ahead and book him and take the chance. Do you know if someone could possibly go in his place if he was unable to go?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Most fares allow change of passenger for $50. There are a few that don’t, including Early Saver.

You can do a "mock booking" (cancel right before you get to the final step) and that way you'll be able to figure out which rooms have capacity for a third cruiser. Get that list, then go in to just book for two people, choosing one of the cabins you've already identified as capacity for 3. Get it all locked in for two, then once you know whether he can come, add him as a third.

If he is military he should just get a cruise credit if called away I believe is the rule

Thank you all for the great info and advice! Since he is not 100% sure if he enlisting right out of high school, I think they are going to book the two of them in a room that will allow 3 guests and then add him at a later time when he knows for sure.

If they would book the Early Saver rate, can they still add a third person later?

Edited by KrazyDogLady3
Wrong word

Thank you all for the great info and advice! Since he is not 100% sure if he enlisting right out of high school, I think they are going to book the two of them in a room that will allow 3 guests and then add him at a later time when he knows for sure.

If they would book the Early Saver rate, can they still add a third person later?

This far out they won’t be able to book 2 people in a 3 person cabin. And they reserve the right to move them should they need that cabin for 3 people and there are only 2.

Early Saver is not a rate you would want to use if there are possible changes, other than making an upgrade, to the booking. The are a myriad of restrictions and administrative fees on things you are allowed to change.

Here is a situation where a good PVP or certified CLIA travel agent would be most helpful. They may advise you to book at the Past Guest rate for 3 with 2 named passengers and a TBA or similar other rate without refund on deposit restrictions or name change fees. This could allow you to claim price reductions right up to the final payment date without naming a 3rd passenger. Some rates may even allow you to switch to ES before it closes out once you can confirm the final # of passengers by name on the booking.

A TBA on a booking does let you name anyone as a 3rd passenger at a later date. But usually not much less than 30 days prior to sailing. You still would need to make the final payment as if there are 3 passengers and be subject to the cancelation schedule. If you do cancel the TBA after final payment most usually the future cruise credit would be split between the named passengers if not eligible for the penalty reduced refund.

The TBA will not absolutely guarantee that your cabin choice will not be changed if less than 3 wind-up finally sailing, but it does lessen the possibility. The reason being is sometimes a muster station reaches max confirmed passenger capacity prior to the cabins in that section being filled at total stated occupancy. The TBA will placehold a spot but not if there is great demand for more than double occupancy cabins. Again a good PVP or TA will advise you if a change is imminent.

DO NOT wait to add him...you run the risk of not being allowed to "add" a passenger to an existing room, due to muster stations being full.

Definitely get "cancel for any reason" insurance for him/his room, etc.....just in case. That type of insurance should be purchased within a certain time frame of making the booking....maybe 72 hours.....check before you book to be sure!

Simply book past guest for three people. If it is a 7 day cruise you can cancel without penalty up to 76 days out. No need for complicated scenarios being implemented. He will know what is going on by 76 days out. He can be named also. No need for TBA with past guest as changes before final payment are not charged the $50 dollars.

Simply book past guest for three people. If it is a 7 day cruise you can cancel without penalty up to 76 days out. No need for complicated scenarios being implemented. He will know what is going on by 76 days out. He can be named also. No need for TBA with past guest as changes before final payment are not charged the $50 dollars.

That sounds like the best option, however his parents are first time cruisers. He is not, but is considered underaged when I enter his info to get the past guest rate.

As long as they are OK with having to move to what might be a less desirable cabin if there will only be 2 people traveling instead of 3.

That sounds like the best option, however his parents are first time cruisers. He is not, but is considered underaged when I enter his info to get the past guest rate.

As long as he is in the cabin with an adult you can still get it. I suggest a PVP in this situation. Would love to offer mine up but we can’t give out info on here.

As long as they are OK with having to move to what might be a less desirable cabin if there will only be 2 people traveling instead of 3.

That is indeed true. But beggars can't be choosers :D. Flexibility can be costly! Or they can do what I do and eat the cost of the third person and keep the room by doing the classic no show.

I think they can join the VIFP club and get the past guest/VIFP rate even as first timers.

That is indeed true. But beggars can't be choosers :D. Flexibility can be costly!

I hear ya! Just wanted them to know it could be a possibility to get moved. I’m extremely picky about my cabin location and would not be happy if I got booted out to the leftovers.